Apr 19, 2024, 09:23 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Wide Slider Sonic

Started by antimatterguy, Aug 18, 2010, 04:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

superrichi1a

I'm thinking along the same lines as Dino. In series 1, if you notice, they just filled the whole slot up with a bog-standard, off the shelf, common-design switch, with no decoration at all. It stands to reason that if there was no point in decorating it, it wouldn't be a part of the prop to show on screen. So, yes, I think that it wasn't mean't to be shown on screen exactly, but they weren't trying to hide it's existance either.
Then we got series 2 and the modification, but more impertantly series 3 where we got a while new slider design, that looked, I think, far nicer.
However, the wide slider does look lovely. Brilliant work up there! I'd like to modify a toy to have a wide slider, but quite frankly, now, they are to expensive to try to fiddle around with...

Richard :)
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

galacticprobe

Feb 04, 2011, 07:21 pm #16 Last Edit: Feb 04, 2011, 07:41 pm by galacticprobe
Since CO seems to be doing so well with their sonics and the details they put into them, I'd love to see them come out with a 9th Doctor wide slider sonic in the proper size. They've managed to fit smaller batteries and sound bits into their Sonic Pen with no loss of sound volume or brightness of the light, so I don't see why they couldn't use those same smaller parts to create a correctly-sized 9th sonic, and give it the wide slider for the accurate look.

They obviously don't mind doing retro sonics as their 3rd Doctor sonic proves, and its details are spot on, so why not go only 'slightly' retro and revisit the 9th's sonic? (And I hope they continue their retro line and come out with the 4th Doctor's sonic, and maybe even a Romana sonic so I can get one for my wife, who wasn't too fond of that sonic lipstick and wouldn't get one.)

Let's hear it for us "Sonic Junkies!"

Well it's all for me sonics, me jolly, jolly sonics
As from my TARDIS I fight Cybermen and Daleks
I'll never meet hard knocks when me sonic opens locks
All across Time and Space I must wander!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

antimatterguy

I have a question about the hero slider sonic from season 2. Can anyone tell me which episode(s) in season 2 that you can see the "box" shaped slider button? In School Reunion the hero sonic on the table when the Doctor is working on K-9 is still the wide slider from season 1. I don't have all the episodes so hopefully someone can help me find where you can see it.

galacticprobe

Feb 05, 2011, 07:03 am #18 Last Edit: Feb 05, 2011, 08:16 am by galacticprobe
That may have been a left-over wide slider prop from Series 1 thrown in for the scene. It happens. If you look closely as The 10th Doctor pulls his sonic from his pocket while he and Martha are trapped inside the "age-reversing gizmo" from "The Lazarus Experiment", which is a Series 3 story, you'll see that it's actually a Series 2 sonic (static prop, permanently extended) with that button. It's the same button as used in Series 1, just set in a housing.

Here's a photo of that prop (found by using "sonic screwdriver" on Google Images).
sonicdrivers(Tennant-01).jpg

And the "static retracted" version:
9thSonic(statis-closed).jpg

I also found these photos using Google Images and they show the button and slider;
Extended:
10thSonic(Season2)03-extended-cropped.jpg

And retracted:
10thSonic(Season2)04-retracted-cropped.jpg

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

superrichi1a

Feb 05, 2011, 10:58 pm #19 Last Edit: Jun 02, 2011, 09:10 pm by superrichi1a
Sonics were all over the place. They kept reusing old ones, and making new ones, then taking them apart to augment the old ones, then building more new ones. Did you know only 6 sonic props were ever actually in use at one time. Only 6 sonic heads were made, and they kept having so swap them round (or so I've heard, I can't pretend to be much of an expert in this field). Tennant prefered the extending versions from series 1 himself, and that seems to be why you still see them a lot in the later series. The paint was also an issue. It did change. I believe, that the first picture Dino posted, it is a Plasticote "tear" paint. Which basically dried to exhibit tears in the paint to reveal a draker undercoat. The vast majority of sonics, though, had a different sort of crackle paint. Probably developed by the BBC themselves, as there is nothing really that was comercially available at that time that looked anything like the crackle on the props (although CT did discover the "Perfetto" crackle paint, which was close, and I think looks almost nicer, but I highly doubt it was the one the Beeb used). CT, I believe, has had his own crackle paint developed for a new limited run of sonics, which I have reserved and intend to do a side-by-side comparison to his other sonics with.
As a side note, I believe the last two pictures Dino posted are actually CT replicas and not actual props. In many ways, I think the CT is nicer than the actual thing.
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

galacticprobe

Side note: Not sure where I found those last two images I posted - I can't remember. But I do remember there was no mention of CT when I found them or I would not have posted the images.

Dino.