Apr 19, 2024, 09:08 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

BBC Design Plans

Started by liz79, Aug 14, 2010, 02:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

peted

This is fabulous stuff! I have the 1980 "Gallifrey" drawings you're referring to - they look almost identical to these, as if the update was traced from the original sheet. They also say 'Yardley Jones' not 'Yardley Smith' on them - when I posted this info years ago, it was the first time the box from 1980-1989 had a designer's name. I also have the drawings for the Newbery box, which i promised to the owner that allowed me a copy of them that I wouldn't post them up anywhere... but I'm sure I could manage a low res copy. Does anyone else have the the 1980 drawings, or do i need to post them too?

hb88banzai

Aug 18, 2010, 11:21 pm #31 Last Edit: Aug 19, 2010, 12:48 am by hb88banzai
Quote from: pete d on Aug 18, 2010, 07:23 pm
This is fabulous stuff! I have the 1980 "Gallifrey" drawings you're referring to - they look almost identical to these, as if the update was traced from the original sheet. They also say 'Yardley Jones' not 'Yardley Smith' on them - when I posted this info years ago, it was the first time the box from 1980-1989 had a designer's name. I also have the drawings for the Newbery box, which i promised to the owner that allowed me a copy of them that I wouldn't post them up anywhere... but I'm sure I could manage a low res copy. Does anyone else have the the 1980 drawings, or do i need to post them too?

Yes, Yardley-Jones, not Smith - don't know what I was thinking. I've gone back and corrected my post and the file name.

The "Gallifrey" version of the Yardley-Jones was already posted  (Reply #20 - though only a camera copy and highly compressed, it is of relatively high resolution if you right-click to view it full-size). Curious how you came about having a copy.

As to the Newbery plans, I for one would love to see even a low-res copy.

exleo

Quote from: mordrogyn on Aug 18, 2010, 03:13 pm
Quote from: Teletran on Aug 18, 2010, 02:57 pm
I just noticed that the fourth wall of the console room is probably, not the fourth wall of the console room!

If you look at the angle of the columns it sugests that those walls are part of an external corridor and not part of the console room itself. Pity.

Well. yes.... but why would they have a wall finished on a side they never film?
And should they need it I am sure it could simply have been reversed, so to that end it still gives an idea of the shape of of the console room, or at least 1 configuration of it.

I already posted an explanation of the drawings halfway up the page...yes it's a corridor :)

wannabegeorge

Those floorplans are fantastic! Is there any way to get a clearer image of it? If you would be willing to scan it in a few sections, I'd be MORE than happy to patch it together. Thanks for posting this stuff!

liz79

QuoteThose floorplans are fantastic! Is there any way to get a clearer image of it? If you would be willing to scan it in a few sections, I'd be MORE than happy to patch it together. Thanks for posting this stuff!

Unfortunately it's a bit tricky to do that as the plans are huge and I ony have an A4 scanner. I might have a go at some point though.

peted

Quote from: hb88banzai on Aug 18, 2010, 11:21 pm
Quote from: pete d on Aug 18, 2010, 07:23 pm

Yes, Yardley-Jones, not Smith - don't know what I was thinking. I've gone back and corrected my post and the file name.

The "Gallifrey" version of the Yardley-Jones was already posted  (Reply #20 - though only a camera copy and highly compressed, it is of relatively high resolution if you right-click to view it full-size). Curious how you came about having a copy.

As to the Newbery plans, I for one would love to see even a low-res copy.

My 1980 drawings are ever so slightly different to yours... I'm at work now, so will post later, along with a copy of the Newbery ones.

hb88banzai

Quote from: pete d on Aug 19, 2010, 11:14 am
My 1980 drawings are ever so slightly different to yours... I'm at work now, so will post later, along with a copy of the Newbery ones.

Very interesting. I do know that at least one different set of the Yardley-Jones plans were out there as markofrani posted part of one that has the doors swinging in rather than out, and I've heard reference to another that had different dates on it that may or may not be the same as those.

I'm now very curious where you got your copy (if you are at liberty to say). The one I posted is the one auctioned off by Philip Segal at Gallifrey One (8) in 1997.

Rassilons Rod

Suddenly I'm curious to know if Liz79 has anything from Mark Of The Rani? :D
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

wannabegeorge

Quote from: liz79 on Aug 19, 2010, 07:41 am
QuoteThose floorplans are fantastic! Is there any way to get a clearer image of it? If you would be willing to scan it in a few sections, I'd be MORE than happy to patch it together. Thanks for posting this stuff!

Unfortunately it's a bit tricky to do that as the plans are huge and I ony have an A4 scanner. I might have a go at some point though.

I understand ... please do let us know if you try. And thanks again for the look at your diagrams!

wannabegeorge

For the time being, I've straightened out your photo a bit and enlarged it. Hopefully it's of use to anyone trying to construct accurate walls.

Consoleroom-large.jpg

wannabegeorge

Does anyone know how to interpret the floorplans as far as scale goes? Are the numbers across the top and side in feet? Thanks in advance!

exleo

Aug 19, 2010, 11:49 pm #41 Last Edit: Aug 20, 2010, 12:12 am by exleo
Quote from: wannabegeorge on Aug 19, 2010, 11:33 pm
Does anyone know how to interpret the floorplans as far as scale goes? Are the numbers across the top and side in feet? Thanks in advance!

The studio plans for all television centre studios was 1:50 Metric scale so a half meter (50cm) per square, so ever 2by2 squares is 1 meter square :)

DoctorWho8

Looks like the grid is in the order of 2 foot increments.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

exleo

Aug 20, 2010, 12:51 am #43 Last Edit: Aug 20, 2010, 12:52 am by exleo
Somewhere on the lower right of the studio Floor-plan it should read

SCALE 1:50 METRIC
STUDIO PLAN
TC 1

PRODUCTION
DR WHO- THE KINGS DEMONS*
(SERIAL 6J)

*Or it may read as, The Android, The Demons, A Knight's Tale or Demons Keeper, as these were all working titles for the serial :)

peted

as promised, the Newbery drawings.
Newbery_Plans SM.JPG