Mar 29, 2024, 09:41 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Denver Colorado Materializing

Started by rmef2, Aug 12, 2010, 03:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rmef2

Sign building begins.  I used florescent light fixture covers, cut down, covered with painters tape and used the pdf for box signs located in this web site for the template.  I used spray adhesive to attach the pdf then cut all the letters out with an exacto blade.  After I peeled off the extra I painted it with black gloss and then pulled the letters off.  Looks good and probably cost about 5 dollars a sign.

rmef2

Something just feels wonderful when you put the signs in place.sign and box 1.jpg

Elvis Gump

Awesome solution on how to make the signs. I'm going to keep that in mind. And an awesome looking build so far!

rmef2

Finished constuction of the roof and stack.  Came out quite well.  My friend had made the roof before the walls were up, consiquently it did not fit.  I rebuilt it and was assuming I would need to rebuild the slops but in the end I think a little putty will work fine.  Has anyone noticed that the easiest part of building a Police Box is the roof corner caps?IMAG0075.jpg

rmef2

Well she is almost done.  The only thing left is a second coat of paint, and wiring the beacon.  This summer when it gets warm I will do some ageing to get a little darker look and the patchiness of the color.  So for those of you who were wondering here is how the costs break down.
Wood - ~$450
Paint - ~$50
Hardware - (hinges, lock, handles, lantern) ~$20
Lights - ~$50
Misc. Hardware - (Screws, Nails, etc.) ~$20
Plastic Windows - ~$30
Copies made to size for signage. - ~$15
Plastic for Top Signs - ~$14
All together the total was just about $650.00
As far as time I totaled up about 80 hours strait time. This amount could have been half if the mistakes that did happen due to lack of wood working experience.

Advice for those pondering their own build:
1.  Make a list of what you want to see out of the build. Does it need to be outdoors, do you have height in a room, which version, do you have a place to build?
2.  Draw out IN DETAIL how it will hold together if you want it to come apart... it will effect the construction and possibly materials.
3.  Do NOT let someone play a key role in construction who is not a fan or who does not read these posts to see how others have built theirs.  There is an encyclopedia of information here and if they ignore it, costly mistakes will happen.
4.  Nails suck, screws are better.
5.  Lots of material can be acquired by asking around.
6.  Wood is forgiving and wood putty is great stuff if you do mess up.

I learned so much as it was coming together.  I would be willing to bet I can make one in 5 days and half the cost if I had to do it again.  What a rewarding experience! 

I will post full photos of the box after its paint job in the spring.

TTFN

rmef2

Finished.  The flash drowns out the lights but love how she looks.police box 5a.JPG

rmef2

rmef2

Working on new sound for my Tardis... There used to be a link to sounds captured from one of the games.  Cant find it to save my life. Anyone know where it is? It was a bunch of sounds including a cleaned up version of the Tardis Sound and interior hum.

Volpone

It turned out pretty well.  You did a nice job on your weathering.  That doesn't seem like such a big deal, but it can really make or break a build. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

notliterally

Your TARDIS is just beautiful!! Any chance we could swap some emails about the specifics of the model? Our email is not.literally.productions@gmail.com, feel free to shoot us a message!

rmef2

She has been beat up pretty bad in some moves.  Time for a regeneration.  Plans:
1. Fix the base as a separate piece.  The base never fit together just right and every time you moved it the corners got damaged.
2. New thick windows that are harder to break.
3.. LED Lighting and Light Boxes.
4. New signs all the way around... need references please. 
5. New lighter weight roof.  The old one was a bear to get on top.
6. New sound system with a heavy base.
7. New paint.

Off we go.
IMG_20180827_155718372.jpgIMG_20180827_155725233.jpgIMG_20180827_175506668.jpgIMG_20180827_182335972.jpg