5th Doctor's (Season 20) TARDIS console

Started by the doctor who2, Jul 21, 2010, 11:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

the doctor who2

Jul 21, 2010, 11:16 am Last Edit: Nov 29, 2010, 08:07 pm by Scarfwearer
After making small scale TARDIS models i soon decided to try my hand at making a TARDIS console based on the one in the classic series. I started to make this model about 2 or 3 weeks ago, this is how far i have currently got.

DSCF1618.JPG

DSCF1623.JPG

At first i thought making the underside of the console was hard but i soon changed my mind when i started on the buttons and controls.

DSCF1627.JPG

DSCF1628.JPG

I've still got a very long way to go till its finished  :)

DSCF1633.JPG
"There's no point being GROWN UP if you can't be CHILDISH sometimes!"

The Fourth Doctor - Robot, S12 E01

dreamland fantasy

Very nice! I like the amount of detail that you have put in it. What scale are you doing this to?

On the underside of each of the panels I think there should also be a black hexagonal shape as well. I'll need to wait until I get home to find the reference photo I saw this on.

Kind regards,

Francis

the doctor who2

Since i didn't put the scale on the first post better add it now, the scale for this console is 1:12.

Right then I've now managed to complete another 2 panels with a bit of patience and determination.  As well as completing the panels, I've also added the beading around the rim of the console, and have touched up on some of the paint work mostly to the underside of the console, but i also neatened the whole thing up a bit whilst i was at it. There is also a couple of bits and pieces currently missing like some buttons from one of the panels which will be added soon. I'm slowly getting there but is still a long way to go. :)

DSCF1659.JPG

DSCF1660.JPG

DSCF1663.JPG

DSCF1664.JPG

mordrogyn

A 1:12 scale console?
That would drive me crazy trying to work on something so small and fiddly.
Well done.
(http://i50.tinypic.com/20kan9v.jpg)

wannabegeorge

Excellent work! I want to create a Classics scale 5th Doctor console myself and would love any advice you can offer. Have you decided how you're going to do the time rotor? Do you plan to have it light up/move?

On a side note, I've seen several people refer to the classics line as 1:12, but wouldn't it be closer to 1:14? The average person is 5' 10" or 70," and the figures use 5" as their base. So wouldn't 1:14 be a more accurate scale (5:70 = 1:14)? Not to throw a wrench in things. Just curious.

the doctor who2

Thinking about it i think u may be right about the scale 1:14 cause the console so far looks slightly smaller than it should be next to one of my figures, ill take that into consideration on the next console i do, thank you.

I have thought about the time rotor, i am definitely going to make it in some clear plastics, I'm going to start really looking into it in the next week or so, but on this model I'm just going to keep it stationary and without lighting, its not really been built with that in mind, its something i can put into the next one i make.
Well the best piece of advise really in making this type of model is to take things slowly and plan what u want to do before doing it, many a time I've rushed into this model and made a lot of mistakes and ended up doing it again, can get very frustrating.  :)

the doctor who2

Finally it is starting to take shape now all the panels have been fixed on, just the tedious job of putting all the buttons on, should be fun  :). There is still pieces that need adjusting and sticking on but it is slowly getting there. After a bit of thinking i decided to put a light in the rotor and even at the state it is in now it looks alright with the light on.

DSCF1667.JPG

DSCF1671.JPG

DSCF1669.JPG

DSCF1670.JPG

I've already started making the rotor (it really is very fiddly and needs a lot of patience) which is only about 6.5cm tall and 4.5cm wide. I'll post the rotor images soon when I've put another couple of layers on it.

exleo

The attention to detail on this model is astounding.... please take your time and get it the best that it can be, dont rush anything just for us impatient fans who cant wait to see this finished.....

Just please keep posting update pics as you go as this is facinating to watch come together :)

the doctor who2

Right I've now finished the Time rotor for the console and it really took ages to make and did get very frustrating but its looks alright. i did take 1 photo when i was half way though making it, but really i should have taken a few more but its a bit late now.  :)

DSCF1672.JPG

The 2 Pence piece shows roughly how big it really is. Anyway here's the finished article,

DSCF1675.JPG

DSCF1676.JPG

DSCF1678.JPG

To be really honest I'm not all that pleased with how its come out, but as a first attempt it looks OK. i do plan on having another attempt at it in the future, so hopefully that should come out a lot better. I'm now getting stuck into getting the console finished, got lots of buttons to stick on. :)
Ooh almost forgot this photo i tried the semi completed rotor on the console and tried the light, unfortunatly it was a little too dark but it lights up really well.

DSCF1674.JPG

Scarfwearer

That looks amazing, actually! I'd be well pleased if I got even close to building something like that - particularly at that scale.

Crispin

celation

exleo

Oh the patience you must have to cut out all those inner star shapes for rotor.... very VERY Impressive :)

the doctor who2

Sep 02, 2010, 05:24 pm #12 Last Edit: Oct 11, 2010, 06:15 pm by the doctor who2
I've now managed to get stuck into finishing the console so I've stuck on all the buttons and all the finishing touches. On the older panels I have taken off a few of the buttons and replaced them with switches and just really neatening them up. Like I said in my previous post I am going to have a second attempt at making the time rotor, so now that I've finished the console, I can solely concentrate on the rotor hopefully to a better standard than the last one. I just need to gather up some more materials and then I'll get started.  :)

DSCF1688.JPG

DSCF1683.JPG

DSCF1690.JPG

DSCF1687.JPG

DSCF1686.JPG

exleo

WOW well done on reaching this far, the attention to detail is stunning, and the new switches look perfect, you should be so proud of yourself for achieving this, even the raised Door handle (is it on the right panel though?? eep)
I really cant wait to see this finished, and then hopefully you'll build a console room with the same attention to detail....Brilliant :)

rocket

Farewell Sarah Jane, you will be missed.