Previous topic - Next topic

BioDoctor900

So Today I went out and spent nearly £95 on;

- 3 8x4 6mm Plywood sheets
- 4 3 1/2' x 1 1/2' 8ft long posts
- Outdoor sealant with a gun
- Long 4 inch Screws

:'( Don't like spending that amount of money

Well I got it back and started cutting the posts down to 50 inch lengths. I then cut a 45 degree angle on the corners so that they would join nicely together. I really wish I had a circular saw  >:( :-\ Its not easy cutting the wood, then having to hand screw it together as I've not got a cordless drill. We have a wired drill, which I used to drill the holes for the screws, but I haven't got a decent screw attachment for it, plus it's too fast. So It took quite a while to cut the angles. Then I had to cut the cross braces to square it properly. Once these were in place I then cut the plywood, It was a few gaps, so I planned on cutting it again, I put it on top and tried standing on it, but its far too flimsy. So I'm either going to double it up or get some thicker ply. For now I'm going to rest, as the muscle in my shoulder feels a tad sore

WP_20150117_001.jpg

WP_20150117_002.jpg

So It's getting there, I'm going to see if I can get some tools from college. I'm also going to go up there on monday and laser cut the window frames

More Soon

BioDoctor900

galacticprobe

Jan 18, 2015, 06:58 am #31 Last Edit: Jan 18, 2015, 06:58 am by galacticprobe
It's looking great so far, BioDoc! Nice bracing for that floor. As for the ply you got for the floor, rather than spending more money on a thicker sheet, if you have enough with the ply you have now, I would try doubling it up, with crossed seams if you have to lay it in more than one piece. That would give you a 12mm (about a half-unch) thick floor, which is what I think the next thickness of ply is. Also, if it wouldn't inconvenience you too much, you could also throw a few more "floor joists" into the frame to help support the ply you're already working with.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

BioDoctor900

Well, I've left the base for the time being, I'm going to take it up to the college, get the 45 degree angle put onto the base, and then I'm going to see if they have any plywood that's thicker for it.

Today I have been sorting the roof. It's only the plywood sheeting that was wrong with it, the actual frame is fine and sturdy. So I ripped off the old panels which had started to get moldy and cut some fresh ones. This took a couple of attempts as the original panels I had on, didn't match up as well as they could have, but I got there in the end. I then replaced the top of the square in the center, took a couple of attempts as the wood kept on splitting, but I sorted that too

I then sealed it up with some outdoor sealant that cost £9 from B&Q, so it better bloody work, or I'm going to swear. I've also tested the paint, so I'll see how it dries and if it needs to be mixed with another colour to make it a bit better. I'm also going to get the window frames laser cut tomorrow.

WP_20150118_001.jpg

WP_20150118_002.jpg

So I'll post some more soon

BioDoctor900

BioDoctor900

Well I've mixed up some paint using three paints, I've painted the roof and it doesn't look too bad. I'm hoping the paint doesn't just flake off the sealant like it did last time. I've taken the back panel off and re boarded it using the 6mm ply and painted that too. I'm thinking of using this as a base coat and then mixing some more black into the blue to get it darker and then painting it all again. It's looking better, but there's still quite a way to go. I didn't get up to the college so the window panes didn't get done, nor the base, so the whole TARDIS is balancing on a base that is slowly rotting, luckily the frame of the base is pretty strong. I have to remake the sign boxes as they are getting rotten. The PTO door needs replacing and then I should be there.

Here's some pics of the progress.....

WP_20150119_001.jpg

WP_20150119_002.jpg

WP_20150119_003.jpg

WP_20150119_004.jpg
Wierd thing about this picture is that it makes the paint look darker than what it does to the eye, which is kind of annoying

More Soon

BioDoctor900

galacticprobe

Jan 19, 2015, 06:52 pm #34 Last Edit: Jan 19, 2015, 06:53 pm by galacticprobe
She's coming along nicely, BioDoc. That lamp looks fine, and the roof looks great. And don't worry about the color changing with the light or in photos; the real prop does pretty much the same thing (even without help from the BBC Props Department! ;)).

Can't wait to see more!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

BioDoctor900

Well Dino, I've been speaking to the guy from This Planet Earth who makes the replicas of the Tennant TARDIS and I asked him if he could tell me what the paint was, he said it was a mix of crown paints and he will send me the name of it later ;)

So I think I may well be buying some SA Paint ;)

BioDoctor900

BioDoctor900

Well after a lot of stress with it, the TARDIS is finally refurbished, with a new base, new roof panels, new PTO door and the side panels mended. This is probably the best this TARDIS has ever looked and Possibly the closest to the original. It's not 100% complete as I was planning to replace the sign boxes and the window frames, but the wood I had bought wasn't very strong for those, So that will be done at a later date

WP_20150124_001.jpg

WP_20150124_002.jpg

WP_20150124_003.jpg

WP_20150125_001.jpg

WP_20150125_002.jpg

WP_20150125_003.jpg

WP_20150125_004.jpg

She put up a fight, didn't want to be repaired

WP_20150125_005.jpg

WP_20150125_006.jpg

WP_20150125_007.jpg

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0007.JPG

DSC_0008.JPG

DSC_0010.JPG

So Shes finally back up to scratch

Thoughts??

BioDoctor900

noahfischel

Brilliant job, Aaron! Looks beautiful.

This isn't a dig on your TARDIS or building specifications, but it looks a bit like the older TARDIS exteriors with the updated paint job.

Definitely NOT saying that's a bad thing. In fact, I really enjoy it. Hopefully the updates and refurbishings have it lasting a long time.
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - Fourth

"I will not forget one line of this... Not one day... I swear..." - Eleventh

"No one like the tangerines." - Twelfth

BioDoctor900

Noahfischel, It's been a real pain to get the paint back to a decent colour, as the Tennant TARDIS is such an odd colour. To get the colour it has at the moment I had to mix three different paints to try and get close to the original colour. I'm currently talking to the guy who makes the official replicas to get the paint colour from him, but for the time being I'm happy with it, Also these photos are with a flash, so it comes out lighter than what it really is

BioDoctor900

russellsuthern

Hi, Aaron.
So glad you've managed to restore your TARDIS back to its former glory.
I think it looks great & hopefully it will last longer this time!

Russell

galacticprobe

Jan 26, 2015, 04:40 pm #40 Last Edit: Jan 26, 2015, 04:40 pm by galacticprobe
What Russell said! That looked like some seriously hard work you put into the Old Girl, and it's paid off in spades! She looks beautiful. Well done on a tough refurb!

Dino.

BioDoctor900

Well the refurb didn't hold out for long. Today the TARDIS was broken down and taken to the tip.  :'( The wood had become so rotton that you could snap it quite easily, bearing in mind this was 18mm marine plywood. I salvaged as much as I could off of her, this is what's left.....

12548889_10208623072400076_2337828111856309073_n.jpg

I want to make another and use the bits I've taken off, but I haven't got the money and now I've taken this one down, apparently I can't make another one to go back in the garden as mum doesn't want it, she wants a hammock instead....

It is a sad day.....

BioDoctor900

fivefingeredstyre

I am honestly gutted for you... :-[

The maintenance battle we have with these things is constant, this year alone I had to relay the floor in mine as the old one started to rot (note to builders - If you want your box to live outside, make sure you ventilate the floor...)

I've said this before, but when mine gets to the point where I can no longer maintain it, I'm going to take the side thats in the best condition and use it to make fibreglass moulds...)

Keep the bits, and when you get a place of your own, you can build another one...

Volpone

We need an "In Memoriam" page, for when a TARDIS dies.  (Or a board member, but I'm not aware of us losing any of those yet.)  At least you had a TARDIS.  Not a lot of people can say that.  And you're young, IIRC.  You've got plenty of time to do another.  I think I was around 40 before I finally got to see my childhood dream of having a TARDIS. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

russellsuthern

I really feel for you mate.
It's really gutting to see all that hard work disintegrate.
But as Volpone said, at least you had one for a while & you are young, you will have another one.

All the best,

Russell