News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

2005 Console "Desk Bell"

Started by galacticprobe, Jul 08, 2010, 06:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

Jul 08, 2010, 06:20 pm Last Edit: Oct 22, 2012, 10:19 pm by Scarfwearer
Greetings, All,

Does anyone know anything about the desk bell that was on the 9th/10th Doctor console? The 9th Doctor used it several times in "End of the World". It's taller than the average desk bell, and has a "blued" finish on it, like one might find on a gun barrel. The base of the bell reads "BLUE BELL" and some other words that I can't make out because they wrap around the base, and the Blue Bell is the only part I can really see. I've cropped two full-size images that show the bell and its base so they would fit in this post, along with some of the rib where it's mounted, and strangely you can see the words better in the darker image:

The TARDIS-03 (bell01).JPG The TARDIS-23(bell02).JPG

I've checked ebay, dozens of antique shops, Googled every form of "bell" I could think of (tap bell, desk bell, antique, etc.) and while I had plenty of hits, nothing even came close to resembling this particular bell. (Although, I did come across a few that look like the "new" bell used on Matt Smith's console.)

Thanks for any help offered.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

anakin starkiller

It was made by Liberty Bell Tobacco.  As a promo I guess.

Dan

galacticprobe

Oct 14, 2011, 10:51 pm #2 Last Edit: Oct 14, 2011, 10:55 pm by galacticprobe
Great! Thanks for the additional info. I got the "Tobacco" bit from Kingpin who got some outstanding photos of this console at the DWE. (Speaking of which, any luck with getting those high-res photos on Megaupload? some of me are dying to download them! ;))

And now I can add the "Liberty" to the info on the bell.

Although, even with all of that, all searches for the bell - even images other than on the console - lead to ???. Something tells me this bell (or any close facsimile thereof) is going to be impossible to find, and if found impossible to afford.

Still, the search continues. "Never give up; never surrender." -Commander Taggert

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Kingpin

I've been meaning to do it for months, partly to get some free time to actually do it.

It WILL happen.

It wouldn't surprise me that it was something that used to be marketed to tobbaconist shops specifically, that'd probably suggest maybe 1930s as a rough time period to work from? (no real evidence for that theory, just spit balling).

anakin starkiller

I think that makes a lot of sense.

Dan

galacticprobe

Oct 16, 2011, 06:13 am #5 Last Edit: Oct 16, 2011, 06:14 am by galacticprobe
I'll just keep perusing the antique shops. (One never knows, do one?) I'm more likely to find one in one of those, and of course keep checking ebay. (I don't think I'll bother checking tobacconist shops. If a shop had one of those bells, they wouldn't be likely to sell it, and I'd probably experience an asthmatic seizure - very allergic to tobacco, me.)

Dino.

galacticprobe

Nov 14, 2012, 07:58 am #7 Last Edit: Nov 14, 2012, 07:58 am by galacticprobe
To quote Edina Monsoon, "Buggery Bollocks!" It's already been sold! ($141.41 US, 89 GBP, after 13 bids, so I'm guessing there was a bidding war towards the end, and at that price I couldn't have afforded it anyway.)

Well, M.D., looks like we both missed out on this one. Maybe next time one of us will get lucky (and find one at a much lower price). But from the photo of that bell, it looked like it was in mint condition. No wonder why it sold for so much.

Thanks for the head's up, Anakin. At least now I know what key words to use when searching ebay (and other places) for that bell.

Dino.

doctorwhofanmaster1997

can anyone tell me where i can get a bell like the one from the 9th/10th doctor's tardis console?

museumdave

I think the one actually used on the console is a promotion bit of memorabilia from a tabacco company.  (Liberty bell maybe?). Sometimes you can find something on ebay under desk bell.
There are .'rainbow music desk bells' kids musical bell the are close to the correct shape, but bright colors and scaled down. Sorry I think maybe this is less helpful than I hoped...  keep your eyes open. Good luck. I hope you find the part you are looking for. . Cheers
M.D.
"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?

doctorwhofanmaster1997

thx but where can i get a gyrocompass?

museumdave

No problem.
Well if that is what you really want to do,  the answer is ebay.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/VINTAGE-MARINE-BOAT-SHIP-GYRO-COMPASS-Made-In-USSR/324276283895?hash=item4b805f69f7:g:0kEAAOSwmoNfSROQ

Or higher end
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vintage-WWII-Sperry-Gyro-Compass-Repeater-MARK-15-MODEL-0/283827190928?hash=item42156b3c90:g:r98AAOSwtLteeH61

But for certain I would be more inclined to print a compass face put it behind a piece off clear plastic or a small clock face and piece the base together out of found objects. That is unless you really need it to work,
Your call.
good luck.

M.D.
"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?

MacktheTardisGuy

Found something very close to the original on the console, seems very rusty so possibly an exact match? Doubtful though. Was on auction, but could help for dating and copying.610_1.jpg