Apr 26, 2024, 08:51 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Longleat/Blackpool exhibition console

Started by peterdalek, Jul 08, 2010, 11:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

peterdalek

The laminate arrived and was stuck onto some MDF. Yesterday the panel was cut out and the necessary cutouts made.

Panelcut.jpg
Panelcutouts.jpg

This is how it looks on the console so far. The next job will be the drilling of the Led holes, I'm definately keeping the laminate protective covering on until it's time to glue on the arcylics & levers etc.
Panelcutplacde.jpg

peted

Fabulous work! I love this console too - lots of happy childhood memories! Also immortalised by Gordon Archer on the Doctor Who weetabix cards:
weetabix_tardis_back_sm.jpg
Can't wait to see it fully restored.

peterdalek

Thanks Pete d,
well I never realised it was the basis for the weetabix card, how wonderful. When you own something like this it's amazing the history you discover. Thanks for the info

Peter D(alek) ;)

peterdalek

Big Steps forward today,

The gauge squares have been sawn out and the Led holes drilled,

The Leds are now set in, most of the acrylic cutouts glued and mesh fitted. The gauges have also been put in place.

Instead of the keyhole I went for a toggle switch which I will eventually wire up to power up the console. This is my only variation from the original however I do feel it is an improvement and doesn't look dramatically different really.

Here are the pictures to show the progress.
Drilled.jpg
Gauged.jpg
Panelled.jpg

I've yet to wire up all the Leds and glue on the white & green acrylic buttons.

I've also ordered some decal transfers to print off the designs to put on the glass that will go under the domes (if that makes sense). Still a lot to do but I reckon I'm two thirds of the way there.

Peterdalek :)

Rassilons Rod

Ooh! I was wondering if you had got any further on this. Great update! Not far to go now! :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

type 83

type 83

Jul 30, 2010, 09:53 am #37 Last Edit: Jul 30, 2010, 09:55 am by type 83
:( Want, the grin's a bit creepy though

peterdalek

Another constructive day or 2. Loads of good news one bit of bad news.

What do you want first, good news or bad (small setback) news?

Okay lets get the bad news out of the way. As I've stated a couple of times in this thread I am a bit of an amateur, and one major hole in my building knowledge is LEDs/electronics. The LEDs I bought were the wrong ones, they were low voltage, about 2-3 volts. I basically managed to blow up about 7 of them, a bit of a pain as I spent ages soldering a load of them. They all have to come out now and get replaced by 9volt flashing LEDs, which I worked out is what was originally used. Hey, every project is a learning curve :-[ .

I have now ordered the right ones, so hopefully these should be sorted in about a week.

Now lets get onto the good news:

19mm white acrylic squares cut out and now glued on:
whitebutts.jpg

15mm emerald green squares arrived today and glued on:
greentiles.jpg

Oh here's a fun one, to replicate the plasma design etc., under the domes (see earlier on the thread for details). I got some inkjet printable glass/ceramic transfers and printed out a couple of pictures I found on the net, as close a match as possible. I then transfered them onto 2 small bits of glass from old photo frames like this:
plates.jpg

Then attached them to the back of the panel like this:
tranferglass.jpg

Put the domes on and light, and geronimo:
litglobes.jpg

And just so you can see how it looks so far (Please note that the levers are blu tac'd on for the sake of the photo, these will be glued on last):
mockup.jpg

And just as a comparison, so you don't have to scroll up, here is the original:
IMAG0039edit.jpg

Have fun now with a little game of spot the difference.

So list of things left to do:

1)LEDs to be refitted with correct ones and wired up. (sounds easy said like that :-\ )
2)Small domes to be sprayed white and glued on the hexagons (this is best left till after the LEDs have been done).
3)Toggle switch will be wired up to the Time rotor lights, (I've got a toggle switch and I'm not afraid to use it  8) )
4) Stand back from console, take a good look and say: "What missing panel?"

Peter  :)

type 83

AND put an extra frame over the dials.
You can just see in the photo that the frames do stick out over them.

peterdalek

Quote from: type 83 on Jul 31, 2010, 03:26 pm
AND put an extra frame over the dials.
You can just see in the photo that the frames do stick out over them.

I think it's just the angle that the photo was taken that makes them look flush. If you look at an earlier one you can see that the frames do in fact stick out over them. The dial squares were jigsawed out of the back of panel, like the original ones, with the grey frames stuck on the front almost like a photo frame. I've tried my hardest to construct it in much the same way that Tony Oxley did with the original.

Kind Regards
Peter

Scarfwearer

"What missing panel?" Looks brilliant! So nice to see this all restored.

I think you might need current-limiting resistors in series with your LEDs, but I'm no expert at that.

Crispin

Kingpin

Great work Peter, it's come off pretty damn well considering the little reference material you had to work with... just as well it was such a good shot!

geminitimelord

For just replacing a Panel I would say it looks as good or better than the other panels in the build. Very impressive how you did the domes, with the light behind it is very neat to see.

I wouldnt worry much about the LED mistake. It is those types of mistakes that allow you to grow and feel as if you accomplished something and not just simply assembled something. In my TARDIS build I had several things i went back to the workshop and had a do over. My roof ended up smaller than what the plans called for so I went back and added about an inch and half all the way around including cutting another roof to match. But I am glad I did it. My windows were a failure so I went back to the drawing board and redesigned them to perfection. well almost...

Anyhow glad to see your missing panel is soon to be whole again. Looks awesome!

flaming cog

That looks amazing! Brilliant bit of recreation work!
(http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/5721/themanofmanyfaces.jpg)