News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Slugworth's Secondary Console

Started by slugworth118, Jul 01, 2010, 10:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

slugworth118

Jul 01, 2010, 10:29 pm Last Edit: Sep 14, 2010, 03:58 pm by slugworth118
PART TWO!

Here's a few pictures of the beginning stages of my secondary console. One thing I didn't mention in the first post is that I really haven't decided on any particular design/color scheme for either of these consoles. All of those details will be in a future post.

DSC01977.JPG

DSC01980.JPG

-This is a little wooden cabinet I picked up from my local thrift store. I absolutely LOVED how it looked, and at only $7, I knew I had to have it.

DSC01978.JPG

DSC01979.JPG

-And oh bytheway, it OPENS! I thought that was such a cool feature. I could totally imagine The Doctor opening it up and repairing all of the inner workings and wiring. All of this thought goes into each of my purchases: just imagining, "how does this fit into The Doctor's TARDIS?" Actually, this was originally going to be the main structure for my primary console, but after getting the giant spool (see older post), I decided to completely rethink my whole design.

However, this isn't to say that I'm scrapping the idea to make this cabinet into a console. It just means I'll be making it into a secondary console like these:

c1.jpg

c2.jpg

Thing is, the fact that this is an 8-sided cabinet as opposed to the classic 6-sided console, it might actually work better as a secondary console anyway.

So, in addition to this base, I have two columns that I may or may not be using.

DSC01981.JPG

-Believe it or not, I didn't just buy this because it looked like a center column for a TARDIS console. I picked this up at the thrift store because it had three tap-lights inside. I LOVE how it has little hexagonal lids!

DSC01982.JPG

DSC01983.JPG

-This is something else I picked up from the thrift store, it's basically a really tall wooden CD shelf supported by two metal bars. Thought it looked cool, again I may or may not use it.

Finally, just to get an idea of what my secondary console might look like (again, without the control panels):

DSC01976.JPG

That's it for now! Please comment and tell me what you think!

exleo

That is a fantastic basis to go on from in a build, what an incredible find, it just gets the mind racing with possibilities....I'd suggest going with something totally unique in design to tie in with that unit...

As for it being 8 sided.....the scientific research TARDIS had a 6 sided console, who is to say that another model, say, a Battle TARDIS, might not need two extra pilots and therefor 8 sides (extra sides being weapons side and Tactical side) and a Battle TARDIS would have several console rooms incase of damage incurred, Primary, Secondary, Tertiary etc ;)

slugworth118

Quote from: exleo on Jul 02, 2010, 01:01 am
That is a fantastic basis to go on from in a build, what an incredible find, it just gets the mind racing with possibilities....I'd suggest going with something totally unique in design to tie in with that unit...

As for it being 8 sided.....the scientific research TARDIS had a 6 sided console, who is to say that another model, say, a Battle TARDIS, might not need two extra pilots and therefor 8 sides (extra sides being weapons side and Tactical side) and a Battle TARDIS would have several console rooms incase of damage incurred, Primary, Secondary, Tertiary etc ;)

Very excellent point! I really appreciate the feedback, it makes it all the more exciting. Cheers!

mordrogyn

What an interesting and unusual end table... We have a couple, also hexagonal though larger than yours appears to be and without the pedestal yours is on
(http://i50.tinypic.com/20kan9v.jpg)

cathlyn847

ahhhh, you have a good eye....I look forward to seeing what you do with your found objects.
What would the Doctor do?

karsthotep

Again, brilliant use of found items,  That cabinet is a great base to start from, awesome find. 
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

slugworth118

Thanks to everyone who has commented! I really appreciate the feedback!

I'll probably be going to the store to pick up some plywood within the next few days.

I am...quite excited.

;D

merc23

yeh, i hope to see this finished in the next few months, i hope to see this finished, and nice table, cabinet thing, i like it all a lot so far....

type_1012_tardis

You know, If you ever decide to make videos with this one, and plan to have the door open for it, you could probably have some dryer tube or something at approximately the middle from shelf to top, to hide the motor/contain the energy.

That cabinet was a great find!  Looking forward to how this one comes out!
BTW, any plans for computer-driven electrics in this one?
The ultimate TARDIS of ultimate destiny.  Type 1012.  Now with extra duct tape.

slugworth118

@merc23, thanks a lot...yeah, work on both of my consoles is coming along very slow, but I hope to be posting more updates soon.

@type_1012_tardis, thanks again for the advice and compliments, you really seem to have a Who-mindset. As for electronics, I might include a few flashing lights...but it's mostly going to be organic-looking controls.

merc23

hey, my secondary console is looking organic, cool how we kinda have the same idea, yet awesome, how i made it that way i used plaster of paris, for 2 of the panels on my 5 panel small console, i hope to see what you mean by that, organic i mean, however it turns out it will look great, (you cant mess up DOCTOR WHO...)