Apr 19, 2024, 10:35 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Richard's Smith/McGann TARDIS

Started by superrichi1a, Jun 26, 2010, 10:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

superrichi1a

Quote from: deck5 on Aug 11, 2010, 02:00 pm
Looking good!  Maybe you'd have an easier time of it if you glued in the plexiglass first, and then glued the strips in place on top?

Ahhh, yes. That was my original idea, and that's what I had planned to do for a long time, until the time came when I'd actually be making them. For a start, doing it that way would mean that some windows might not cope with irregularities or faults in the window holes, such as a piece of wood sticking out or in at a slightly odd angle, or the MDF panels on the back of one wall being taller on the ones on another wall. Also, It'd be a job and a half measuring them out and getting them exactly right-first time and every time, and them it'd be even harder glueing then to the back, it'd be hard to line them up on all axis at once, and then, as I build my walls complete, not split in half like the doors, I wouldn't be able to clamp them down properly for the glue to set.
I reckon that idea is a good one, and I've seen others do it before, but for my build I doubt it'd work  ;)
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

deck5

Quote from: superrichi1a on Aug 11, 2010, 03:10 pm
Looking good!  Maybe you'd have an easier time of it if you glued in the plexiglass first, and then glued the strips in place on top?

Ahhh, yes. That was my original idea, and that's what I had planned to do for a long time, until the time came when I'd actually be making them. For a start, doing it that way would mean that some windows might not cope with irregularities or faults in the window holes, such as a piece of wood sticking out or in at a slightly odd angle, or the MDF panels on the back of one wall being taller on the ones on another wall. Also, It'd be a job and a half measuring them out and getting them exactly right-first time and every time, and them it'd be even harder glueing then to the back, it'd be hard to line them up on all axis at once, and then, as I build my walls complete, not split in half like the doors, I wouldn't be able to clamp them down properly for the glue to set.
I reckon that idea is a good one, and I've seen others do it before, but for my build I doubt it'd work  ;)

I'm not sure we're thinking of the same idea.  I'm suggesting building the outside frame into the wall, as you have; then gluing the plexiglass to the back of it; then attaching the strips.  It would give them a base, might make it easier to fit them.  Same thing you're doing now, but with the plexiglass in place to assist.

mordrogyn

Doesn't matter how you do them, windows are always going to be fiddly at least and a pain in the ass at most. lol
(http://i50.tinypic.com/20kan9v.jpg)

superrichi1a

Quote from: deck5 on Aug 11, 2010, 03:18 pm
Quote from: superrichi1a on Aug 11, 2010, 03:10 pm

I'm not sure we're thinking of the same idea.  I'm suggesting building the outside frame into the wall, as you have; then gluing the plexiglass to the back of it; then attaching the strips.  It would give them a base, might make it easier to fit them.  Same thing you're doing now, but with the plexiglass in place to assist.

Ahh, yes, that was another idea that passed my mind. I guess that'd probably work well enough, but I was worried that I was going to do them slightly the wrong size, I find it easier to be able to make constant corrections if need be :)
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

Rassilons Rod

Nice looking build :)

I have to admit I'm a little confused that this is a wall, but there is a gap between the 2 "doors"...

Do you have a plan for this?
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

superrichi1a

Quote from: rassilonsrod on Aug 11, 2010, 06:58 pm
Nice looking build :)

I have to admit I'm a little confused that this is a wall, but there is a gap between the 2 "doors"...

Do you have a plan for this?

Thanks! :)
Aaahhh, yes, the gap in time... not really  ::)
No, this was explained in an earlier post but I waffle so much it's understandable that you, or very possibly everyone missed it ;). I haven'd done the middle strut, divider, whatever yet because, as I have limited space in my garage for all the various bits of TARDIS, having all the walls stack up flat against each other is very useful. If the middle piece was in position it would mean I couldn't stack them all together without them falling over. I'll do that part last probably...  ;D

Rassilons Rod

I see - I'm still a little surprised you didn't just close the gap (i.e. make the 2 uprights wider, or make one
solid piece) and you could still add the divider afterwards. I would have thought that squeezing wood into that
gap after might be more tricky.

That said, I don't want to be sounding too negative here, I was just curious :) I think you're doing a great job!
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

superrichi1a

Quote from: rassilonsrod on Aug 12, 2010, 07:55 am
I see - I'm still a little surprised you didn't just close the gap (i.e. make the 2 uprights wider, or make one
solid piece) and you could still add the divider afterwards. I would have thought that squeezing wood into that
gap after might be more tricky.

That said, I don't want to be sounding too negative here, I was just curious :) I think you're doing a great job!

Thanks for the compliments lol, it means a lot!  :D

Yeeaaahhh, using one big peice for the centre was an idea, but unfortunatly I couldn't ind any wood that would fit properly without leaving a gap somewhere, I decided the best idea was to do it like this  :D Saves weight too.... Well, only slightly, but I'm sure my back appreciates it!!

superrichi1a

Right, update, so...
I have just come back from holiday, so, normally, I wouldn't have anything to update, but it do, a lot actually.
I start tonight, with a bombshell (oh God, sorry, sorry, I'm talking like Jeremy Clarkson, I'll stop now). Now, the lamp I have bought to use for my box, the new Haven Outdoor lamp (see picture above, I've had a clear out of my files so can't repost it at the mo.), came with a lens that was of a strikingly similar design to the old, much sought after frensel lamps, if not an actual replica. Mine, unfortunatly, smashed just before I went on holiday, which, was, sort of my fault, I was being clumsy. But, when I went on holiday to the Isle of Wight, I discovered something we don't have in England. A resturant that actually had a surplus of frensel lenses to use as outdoor lanterns for outdoor seating, and they were actually the exact dimensions I needed, I couldn't believe my luck. So I had a word with the landlord, I asked him where he got them from, and he was explaining how he collects old maritime memorbelia, and I asked him if he knew where I could find one, and out of the blue, he just gave me one, totally original, got lots of scuffs from being on a ship, he even insisted that I didn't he didn't want paying, as he was closing down shop in a month or so!!
It's all loaded into the old lamp's casing now and I'm very chuffed with the result, so chuffed in fact that I've forgotten to take any pictures, and now it's raining outside and I don't fancy the walk to the shed. Ah well...

In other news, I decided it best to build a virtual model of my build in Second Life, which, to my knowledge, has never been used as a reliable way to build CG models and there is probably a good reason for that... But, with much toiling, I managed to get one done to relative scale, and I don't think my efforts look too bad, and hopefully my real Box will look something like this when finished. :) I must point out it's not detailed, the panneling is just a picture, not really scaled etc, and the textures of the box were canabalised from a box that you can actually buy in Second Life, so I can't take credit for that.

1.png3.png2.png

We also see the box posing with one of "kai Sion"'s Daleks, o i can't take credit for that either. So yeah, a bit of an update, nothing major really, I can't do much work on the box in the next 2 weeks, which is a shame, but I plan to have all the plastic for the windows by then and have done most of the evil woodfilling on the door pnales (which is taking forever), so things won't be going quiet down here :)

superrichi1a

Done a lot of sanding today. A lot of sanding. On the doors and walls and lamp stand mainly. A lot of sanding, never knew it'd bee this much! So yes, my build progress has slowed, but I still hope to reach my deadline of Oct 2nd (my birthday lol). I have my lovely new frensel to marvel at, which I am very chuffed about. I have also bee doing the windows. I'm almost halfway through the frames. With any luck, I'll have 6 out of 8 of them done by next weekend.
My progress is also being slowed by the beginnings of my Dalek build, which is struggling to get of the ground. But I'm getting there :)

superrichi1a

*sigh of relief*
I'm more that half-way through the windows :) They're not hard as such, or fiddly, just so unbearably time-consuming... I'm trying not to admit mord's been right all along...
Anyway, I've decided sanding and filling is the hardest part of to build so far. Sanding down the joints, filling them, not getting the smooth result I wanted, sanding, filling again, sanding, filling, sanding, filling, cup of tea, sanding, filling, sanding, filling. it goes on forever! Still, I think that's most of it done now, so...
In other news, I think I may have found a place to do my signs cheaply on opaque black film, but I haven't asked them if they'll do it yet, still, I know a friend of mine got his from there so I'm hoping my little struggle is coming to an end. :)

superrichi1a

Unfortunatly, Wickes have run out of the 12x12 strips of wood I am using for my window frames, and, when I went there earlier to check, and they had none, the store worker I asked when they would be back in was less than useful:

"I dunno, why don't you try asking someone who works here"
"You work here, don't you? Or are you just wearing that Wickes uniform for an early Halloween party?"
"Oh yeah... I dunno"

I've never met a less-helpful store attendant.
In other news... is it a good idea to make the roof slope out of exterior plyboard and then spray it over with some kind of resin or sealer? If so, any suggestions on what I could use?
I was planning to do a lot more filling and sanding today, ready to put the first coat of MDF primer on, but I went snow-boarding this morning and I have a huge gash across my wrist from where I got knocked over and fell to the floor in a heap with a ski-er. So I don't know... not quite sure what caused the accident, but as I was wearing a scarf that's lenght would make Tom Baker proud at the time, I think the skier ski-ed over it at a slower pace than I was going and I got yanked back. oh well. That's a critical flaw with Tom Baker. What if he wants to go ski-ing?

superrichi1a

Sep 05, 2010, 04:30 pm #42 Last Edit: Sep 05, 2010, 04:42 pm by Scarfwearer
Yes!! I finally finished the windows!! ;D Such a good feeling. The end is in sight now. Almost finsihed, just the roof slope do do before painting. Sort of a sad feeling, it's all coming to a close, still, I can't wait to have the box sitting triumphantly in my garden, and as soon as it's finished the Dalek will be started so, yeah, still got a lot to keep me busy with ;)
I did another fit-test today, nothing fancy. I didn't bother adding the doors and I don't have a way of putting on the sign boxes and roof yet, but I felt like seeing at least part of it erected temporarily :) The only difference from last time is that you can now see all the windows in the walls finished, so yeah, it was fun to have a look at a partly-formed TARDIS again.

IMAGE4.jpg   IMAGE5.jpg

Scarfwearer

Wow, you're zipping along pretty quickly with this - and it's looking really good!
Great to see.

Crispin

geminitimelord

Looking very good. I noticed you seem to have used some Wood Putty in the joins? Looks like maybe sanded? Becareful, My Stile Joins that I used putty on are slowly deteriorating and causing the paint to lift or I am seeing cracks in the paint with the putty below. I soon will need to make a few minor repairs on my box before the Fall and Winter moisture set in.