Apr 18, 2024, 04:45 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Whereabouts of Actual Tardis Props?

Started by davoren, Jan 14, 2008, 01:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

superrichi1a

Yeah, Deck5 IS right, they are bevelled, although it is actually quite hard to tell with these pics. Look at the shine on the wood at the bottom some of the panels. If they were indeed flat, this area would be encased in shadow.
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

geminitimelord

Quote from: rmef2 on Jul 20, 2010, 11:27 pm
If I'm looking at these picts correctly... there doesnt seem to be a bevel to the edges of the relief of the door pannels?

I think you are on to something here. When I first saw the photos of this box I was suspicious as it looked like a good reproduction. After close study blowing up the photo and comparing it to some of the actual photos of the Hudolin Box I am convinced this is NOT a Hudolin Original but an attempted copy made after the fact.

Note some of the obvious issues:
* There are no beveled edges, Deck I think you are incorrect and not only is there no beveled edge but the depth of the edges are too shallow.
* Sign box has the wrong font. Plus there is too much space between the edge of the lettering and the edge of the sign box. The Hudolin had very little space this box has too much of it.
*Pull to open sign the fonts are much smaller than the original. Several of the lines are blatantly narrower in relation to the box.
*Posts are too Square, on the original Hudolin the posts have more detail and are rounded on the corners.

Now I know what you are going to say, this is a second prop that wasnt in the photos. yes there were two props built The Prop used in the show and the prop that was wider for the Motorcycle to go into. It doesnt make any sense that a second prop used for promos would be built with so many drastic physical differences.I think the exhibition is trying to feel or sound authentic. I doubt highly that it is anything but a Really good attempt.

DoctorWho8

Gentlemen, that promo box is actually a modified This Planet Earth Cushing Movie TARDIS made to look closer to the TVM TARDIS.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff 

slidin_sidewayz

Gentlemen, just to weigh in here myself, I just want to say that I don't know which is which but you all sound right to me :-)

wayne venomous

Quote from: superrichi1a on Jul 20, 2010, 05:16 pm
So there you have it, some totally useless and boring information that has probably bored most people to death reading it.

Not at all, I love stuff like this (even though Mrs V doesn't  :-[ )

I've been to the Newcastle exhibition. I tried to take some photos on my phone but it was so dark it was difficult to get any pics, plus I couldn't really look at any TARDIS details as I had a Doctor Who-obsessed toddler to look after who kept finding spaces to crawl into!
It had three TARDISes, a "standard" TARDIS as you walk in, one being a crashed TARDIS supposidly from the first Matt Smith episode. There's also a very good exhibit where you enter a smoke-filled room and get exterminated by the Daleks under Davros's command - the exit is via another TARDIS.

Although it was a good exhibition, I wouldn't say I was 100% satisfied mainly because the stupidly high entry price of Newcastle's Centre For Life and a couple of exhibits weren't working (the Cyberman exhibit I really wanted to see but it was broken). I would've much rather paid to see just the Doctor Who exhibition and not bother with the rest of the Centre For Life.

superrichi1a

Hehe, maybe most of you are correct, however, the sign next to the box had it's history on it. It did say that it was an original. Perhaps, I don't know, it was incorrect, that could be a reason. All I am saying is that this is what the sign said, and to me, everything looks correct, although I'm not the expert. So, yeah, sorry if I've accidentally spread some false info, but, you must also consider, as I have said that the box has been through many repairs and parts have been reconstructed.
Although, the sign did not say anything about the box being involved in the motorcycle scene, all it said was promotional material if I remember correctly. So you all may well be right, and the museum is at fault, and I'm a gullible prod :)
And, in the matter or the bevelled edges, that is one thing I can answer for certain, they WERE bevelled, it is not too obvious from the pics but they were, that is a detail that I actually remember seeing on my visit.
Also a small matter about the sign boxes posted by "geminitimelord", it may be worth pointing out that, and I did mention this in the first comment, around the roof one of the sign boxes has actually ripped away from the roof slightly, and that is also causing the subsequent sign box neighbours some damage too, it's not entirely impossible that these sign boxes are just the latest in a line of repairs and reconstructions.
I'm wondering if DoctorWho8 idea is correct, from his tone he sounds quite certain, but, having recently actually seen one of them, they're quite nice too, I would have thought that they are rather more taller and slimmer than this.
If this box is indeed not original, I think it must be a very early replica, becuase, standing next to it, you can really see that it has "been through the tears" as it were.
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

deck5

Quote from: superrichi1a on Jul 21, 2010, 09:50 am
If this box is indeed not original, I think it must be a very early replica, becuase, standing next to it, you can really see that it has "been through the tears" as it were.

I'd be glad to see your other photos of it, regardless of its origins :)

superrichi1a

Ok, I'll get some more photos :)
Sorry if it is not actually original people, it'd be quite a shock for me, having been walking around with the idea in my head for almost a year. As I say, that's what the sign said, and it looks old, so I guess many other people would make the same "mistake", well, assuming that it is indeed only a replica.

DoctorWho8

Keep in mind, there have been several Fiberglass boxes made for the exhibitions, most of them made by our old friend Purple.

hb88banzai

Jul 23, 2010, 09:36 am #39 Last Edit: Jul 23, 2010, 09:41 am by hb88banzai
Wood... The original TVM TARDIS's were made of wood, not fiberglass. Phil Segal claimed it was oak at one or more of the Gally's, but be that as it may, all the publicity and shooting pics leave little doubt that timber and/or plywood was used. So if it's not made of ridiculously thick wood, then it isn't even a contender.

policeboxnut

As this thread seems to have stalled a bit, can I take this opportunity to raise a hand to ask a question?

Where is the Newbery Box? Only I thought it was in a transport museum in the Midlands but the only one I know about up there is the one that shut at the end of Oct '11.

Be interesting to know if someone has some insider knowledge as to its current whereabouts now.
'It's only significant if you find significance insignificant' - Slipback

DoctorWho8

Purpleblancmange mentioned that he heard it was in private hands and was restored back to its original look in the '70's.

policeboxnut

I knew it was in private hands, I didn't know it had been restored to original though. That's kind of a pity in a way, don't you think? Having been modded, I think it was a very nice prop looking at the screen grabs from Black Orchid and Peter Davison's promo shots from Castrovalva.

Still, it's up to the private owner to do what he/she/they see fit with the box.

Be nice to see some recent photos of the old girl.
'It's only significant if you find significance insignificant' - Slipback