Books Time Lords have read.

Started by warmcanofcoke, Oct 04, 2012, 02:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

warmcanofcoke

Dec 23, 2016, 12:20 am #90 Last Edit: Dec 23, 2016, 12:22 am by warmcanofcoke
Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS
The_History_of_the_Time_War2.jpg
TWcover6.jpg
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

warmcanofcoke

The Rescue 1965 Season 2 Story 11
rescue.jpg

(The Doctor is examining the rock and making notes)
DOCTOR: Oh, my writing gets worse and worse. Dear, dear, dear, dear, dear. Well, undoubtedly we've landed on the planet Dido. How remarkable. Well, I must say. it'll be rather nice to meet these friendly people again after all these years. Fancy landing back here again. I wonder if I were to tell Ian that it was deliberate, whether he'd believe me or not? Oh no, of course, I was asleep. Oh, pity, pity, pity.

galacticprobe

Dec 24, 2016, 06:38 pm #92 Last Edit: Dec 24, 2016, 06:38 pm by galacticprobe
Been out of it for a few days, but now that I'm playing Catch-me-up, thank you for all of those great screen grabs, Nate! I especially like the one with Hartlell's Doctor looking at that note pad. Those are still readily available almost everywhere. I even found one on my bookshelf while weeding through things. Can't say whether the cover is screen accurate since we don't see Hartnell's note pad cover, but the size looks about right.

Keep those great references coming!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

too_many_cars

Just to fill in some details:  the 'History of the Time War' is a circa ~1880 illustrated John Eadie bible.  These were printed in Wales with several different leather cover designs.  I can't give you an exact date because none is printed, however the Welsh family in my copy signed the first item in the Marriage/Family register in June of 1880.

In fact, the 'Power of Kroll' is another illustrated Eadie Bible with an angular front piece instead of the rounded spade version used for the Time War.  If you keep looking on eBay and rare book dealers you can spot both versions every couple of months or so.

I have a rather special copy with one of Nick Robatto's cold cast resin plaques on the front - and I've slowly been collecting Doctors in order to sign in the squares for the 'portrait gallery' under original head-sketches by my artist friend who is currently drawing the Third Doctor comic for Titan.  So far I have 1 (aka William Russel in Big Finish), 2 (Frazier Hines in big finish), 4, 5, 6, War, and two Masters (Roberts/Missy).  Every Doctor so far has loved it, and Colin Baker actually stopped his line at Gallifrey One last year to research the family and the city they signed in Wales on his iPad for about 15 minutes.

--Brian

warmcanofcoke

That is seriously cool information, Thank You and a really cool anecdote about Colin Baker.  ;D

tannim

Quote from: too_many_cars on Jan 26, 2017, 06:09 am
Just to fill in some details:  the 'History of the Time War' is a circa ~1880 illustrated John Eadie bible.  These were printed in Wales with several different leather cover designs.  I can't give you an exact date because none is printed, however the Welsh family in my copy signed the first item in the Marriage/Family register in June of 1880.

Yup! It's the National Comprehensive Family Bible, printed by John G. Murdoch and Co Ltd  in London. The company was founded in 1871 as a printer and publisher. Mine doesn't have a specific date either and the family registry information was completely blank in mine. But here's a couple of pics from inside of the bible.

bible2.JPGbible1.JPG

warmcanofcoke

Aug 12, 2019, 12:55 am #96 Last Edit: Aug 12, 2019, 01:12 am by warmcanofcoke
http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=9968.0

Silver Nemesis 1988 7K Season 25 Story 154

http://www.richardwho.co.uk/collections/collection184.asp

nemesis_front.jpgnemesis_front.jpg
nemesis_back.jpgnemesis_back.jpg

cosmichobo02

warmcanofcoke

Is that a copy of a real book? Or prop you made?

cosmichobo02

It's a prop I made while bored one afternoon

Terrasolo

While not seen in the episode the Tenth Doctor talked about how he cried after reading "book 7" in the Harry Potter series in "The Shakespeare Code". Apparently the cover pictured below is the original UK cover.

harry-potter-deathly-hallows-20e5481c-301f-49ff-896e-af8e30367fdd.jpg

Vale

Aug 14, 2019, 07:11 pm #101 Last Edit: Aug 15, 2019, 06:24 pm by warmcanofcoke
It's the original standard version published in the UK. There was an adult version with a different cover published simultaneously.

harry-potter-7-adult.jpg

(Source - Did the whole "queueing at midnight" thing. NO SPOILERS FOR ME.)

EDIT: the reason of course that the cover and title weren't shown in "The Shakespeare Code" is because TSC was filmed during August and September 2006, and HPatDH wasn't published until 21st July 2007. The title wasn't even announced until December 2006. Timey-wimey!

warmcanofcoke

Aug 16, 2019, 03:52 am #102 Last Edit: Aug 18, 2019, 05:42 pm by warmcanofcoke
The War Games ZZ 1969 Season 6 Story 50

Time Zone Map

The War Games alteration 2.jpgThe War Games alteration 2.jpg

-Can not find the original link-
Citation needed*

http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=9974.0

warmcanofcoke

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3916755&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=30

QuoteThe TARDIS manual was a challenge. As a concept it was great; the reality of doing it was that it was quite a canonical thing to do so there was a lot of discussion about how it would look. Michael had a bit of a fetish for old Rolls-Royce's (of course) having owned a few vintage ones (of course), so he was adamant that it should look like the hardback owner's manual; "because the Rolls Royce is a proper automobile, unlike a DeLorean car". So he got that. I spent about 5 days writing up pages and pages and pages of detailed English flight control operations for it out of my own head, before the producers decided it should just be in Gallifreyan. The back plate is laser-cut acrylic; I suspect it's a detail I put on to match metal plates on other manuals I'd seen. I went down to the DW Museum to photograph their console for the manual pages (which we would then use on that set)
Manual 001.jpgManual 001.jpg
Manual 002.jpgManual 002.jpg
Manual 003.jpgManual 003.jpg
Manual 004.jpgManual 004.jpg
Despite the effort, I think it was better that it was in Gallifreyan; this sort of stuff doesn't need to be written down (and scrutinised) and the tone of what I'd written was completely wrong in mind; but I don't know what would be right. I've since done manuals like this for Red Dwarf and that's a much better use of the idea.