Apr 18, 2024, 09:36 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Five Doctors console

Started by dreamland fantasy, Jun 12, 2010, 08:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DoctorWho8

David would be proud.  He would also be a gleeful fanboy if he visiting Scarfwearer's console room too.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

dreamland fantasy

Jul 14, 2010, 12:52 am #46 Last Edit: Jul 14, 2010, 12:54 am by dreamland fantasy
I've done a quickly rendered animation showing the central column moving and the monitor displaying the animation. You can download it from http://www.dfstudios.co.uk/drwho/tardis_console.mp4.

I'll need to check, but I think I've got the column going up too high. :-\

Kind regards,

Francis

Rassilons Rod

Lovely high level of realism there :)

One thing, did you know there is one strip light behind each of the red bits on the panels? They illuminate
the inner shaft where the column moves.

And don't the 4 strip lights flash in alternate pairs or something?

But yes lovely work, do keep the excellent images coming! :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

dreamland fantasy

Thanks! :)

I've actually turned off the global illumination and ambient occlusion and turned the anti-aliasing down so that the animation would render quicker (about an hour as opposed to days) so it doesn't look as good as it should. I ended up brightening the animation in post as it was a bit too dark.

I know that there are strip lights behind the red bits on the panels. I've added light sources to give the glow to the time rotor, but I haven't actually included the strip lights themselves. I have been undecided whether I should include them or not as I feel that you shouldn't really be meant to see them.

Now that you mention it I believe the 4 strip lights in the time rotor do flash. I'll need to watch one of my DVDs to see exactly how it is done.

Kind regards,

Francis

dreamland fantasy

@DoctorWho8

Yeah, I think I'd be a gleeful fanboy too if I were to visit Scarfwearer's control room! LOL! :D

Kind regards,

Francis

phillshaw

wow this is looking great, the detail is amazing. What software package are you in? I have now started my build in C4D but cannot get the time rotor column correct, "light-through-transparency" is eluding me :(
Peter Cushing + the McGann console room = recipe for success!

kalarcana

We need another update.  I'm going through withdrawal symptoms waiting for the next render.   ;D

Rick

Rassilons Rod

I believe that the strip lights inside the rotor flash in opposite pairs. Something like this.

.....o
x......x
.....o
then
.....x
o......o
.....x

as for the striplights in behind the red panels, i believe there are some cool green circuits there too and they made no attempt to hide them anyway.

I was thinking though, that you could take some creative license there anyway as the hole is quite large and it would be difficult to always not show it.

For example I had in mind a large glowing ring. Makes me think of Iron Man a little :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

Lungman

Hey Francis!

This is absolutely AMAZING! I've been away from the board for a while and it's amazing to see some flipping fantastic stuff come up...a real festivity of delight! I really love this model, and in particular, the time rotor. I know how much of a pain this was to get the detail right when I was making mine. Well done on the accuracy...can't wait to see more pics! BTW...which program did you use?

Cheers!  ;D

dreamland fantasy

Thanks lungman for your comments.  ;D

I can hardly believe it's been about 6 months since I last posted an update. I'll need to rectify that I think.  ;)

The program I use is Cinema 4D.

Kind regards,

Francis

dreamland fantasy

Wow! I can't believe it's been over a year since I last posted an update on this! :-[

I guess I'd better get the proverbial finger out and get this model finished off.

Kind regards,

Francis

dreamland fantasy

TARDIS control room0031.jpg

It's been a while, but I've been given the motivation to get on with this model again. I've been refining what was there of the console so far (still some things to do) and I've made the room closer to what it should look like.

Kind regards,

Francis

DoctorWho8

Well done.  Look to Jarrod's (lungman) 5 Doctor's console build for inspiration!
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff