Apr 19, 2024, 06:29 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Five Doctors console

Started by dreamland fantasy, Jun 12, 2010, 08:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mordrogyn

I dunno.... I like the way that it appears the light is refracted at the sides of this column, warping the things that can be seen behind it.
(http://i50.tinypic.com/20kan9v.jpg)

galacticprobe

Jul 08, 2010, 05:33 pm #31 Last Edit: Jul 08, 2010, 05:34 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: mordrogyn on Jul 08, 2010, 02:06 pm
I dunno.... I like the way that it appears the light is refracted at the sides of this column, warping the things that can be seen behind it.

That shows there is some "thickness" to the "glass" covering the column, which adds to its overall feeling of being a solid object you could almost touch, rather than it being something that is CGI. Very well done, that!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

galacticprobe

Jul 08, 2010, 05:40 pm #32 Last Edit: Jul 08, 2010, 05:41 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: dreamland fantasy on Jul 08, 2010, 08:57 am
The glow of the column was created by having a series of light sources inside the console. I got the idea from a photo I saw of the console (http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h274/the_doctor63/Untitled-13.png) where you could see fluorescent tubes situated inside the console.

Judging from the position of those lights - one on each of the six sides of the console's collar - it looks like their main intention was to backlight those red slots in the collar. That glow they gave the column was what we might call an "Oh yeah, we also meant to do that!" moment. Either way it looks great, on screen and in your CGI of this console.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Rassilons Rod

Great work, and very speedy!

I started this console once and never finished it. I had a lot of trouble trying to get all the components the right size :/
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

wannabegeorge

Looks fantastic! I say you should do what you like when it comes to clean/dirty glass, refraction, etc. Can't wait to see more updates.

Would you mind posting the references you're using? I'm trying to put together a scale model of this console and I can't find enough good reference. Thanks!

dreamland fantasy

Thanks for the comments guys! :)

Truth be told I would prefer it if the column was a bit "dirtier" as I feel it just looks a bit artificial.

@hastran

I think you are referring to the fresnel effect. I'll give that a try. Thanks! :)

@wannabegeorge

All the reference material I have used is available on this site, namely at http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?board=56

Kind regards,

Francis

dreamland fantasy

Just a quick update showing the glass of the column with the fresnel effect added as per hastran's suggestion.

tardis console 16.jpg

I must admit I do like it as it seems to give the column some added depth.

Kind regards,

Francis

hastran

I LIKE it. very nice.  :)

Rassilons Rod

Superb realism on the glass there! Great work :)
Public Enema Number One.

DoctorWho8

Now that's the ticket!
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

dreamland fantasy

I've started on the monitors, but there is still a bit of work needing to be done on them. I've also populated panel no. 5 a bit.

tardis console 17.jpg

Kind regards,

Francis.

dreamland fantasy

The image on the monitor screen is actually an animation I done which I recreated from memory from The Five Doctors story. If anyone wants a copy you can download it from http://www.dfstudios.co.uk/drwho/console_screen.avi.

Kind regards,

Francis

Rassilons Rod

Excellent progress... and (not for the first time) rather makes me wish I had one of my own :/
Public Enema Number One.

philipw

Jul 12, 2010, 01:32 pm #43 Last Edit: Jul 12, 2010, 02:03 pm by philipw
oops, wrong thread. moving.

dreamland fantasy

Just having a bit of fun here with a "what if" scenario. ;D

david.jpg

Kind regards,

Francis