News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Five Doctors console

Started by dreamland fantasy, Jun 12, 2010, 08:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dreamland fantasy

Jun 12, 2010, 08:55 pm Last Edit: Dec 01, 2010, 06:41 pm by Scarfwearer
Hi there,

First off, a big hello to everyone as this is my first post here. :)

I'm currently creating a 3D model of the TARDIS control room based on the design from the Davison to McCoy era. Here is an image of it as it stands at present:

tardis_console.jpg

It's still very much a work in progress and I need some help with the layout of the console controls. I've found photos of two of the panels in one of the threads here, but I was wondering if there was an overhead plan available showing the rest? Or is it a case that the other panels are just duplicates?

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Francis

Scarfwearer

Welcome aboard!
Very nice looking model.

Did you find the reference sub-board for this era: [ref board=56]Season 20[/ref]?
We don't have a top view at the moment AFAIK, but there are quite a few images here.
I believe there are two basic layouts to the panels, but they're not otherwise identical.

Crispin

dreamland fantasy

Hi Crispin,

Ah, that's excellent! I don't know how I missed those. ::)

Although there are a lot of parts of my model that are still quite rough (e.g. the positions of the walls) I can see already by looking through the photos that I have a few details wrong which I originally thought were correct.

Kind regards,

Francis

DoctorWho8

My favorite TARDIS Console and Room.  Make it look good. ;)
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

Rassilons Rod

Quote from: DoctorWho8 on Jun 13, 2010, 12:16 am
My favorite TARDIS Console and Room.  Make it look good. ;)

What he said :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

dreamland fantasy

I'll do my best to make it look good. :)

Kind regards,

Francis

dreamland fantasy

Jun 14, 2010, 09:01 pm #6 Last Edit: Jun 14, 2010, 09:17 pm by dreamland fantasy
Hi there,

I've almost completed the first of the console's control panels:

console.png

Kind regards,

Francis

DoctorWho8

Panel 1 looking good.  The center lights on the third row of insets should have yellow trim and not red.

dreamland fantasy

Thanks for the comments Bill.

According to this picture the trims are red on this particular panel: http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h274/the_doctor63/Untitled-06.png

Whereas this one has the yellow trim: http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h274/the_doctor63/Untitled-16.png

Kind regards,

Francis

DoctorWho8

Duh, my memory messed on me.  The yellow trimmed ones are on Panel 5.  Thanks for the reminder.

rob49152

Awesome work on the console. You've done a great job on the column. I never got that part of mine anywhere near enough to be happy with it.

To add my 3 cents it looks like they might be yellow ///////// angle patterns in the frame grabs I have.

Untitled-12.jpg

doctordean

Jun 15, 2010, 12:18 pm #11 Last Edit: Jun 15, 2010, 12:33 pm by doctordean
Loving the work, and also my favorite console as well. Very "what you'de expect in the TARDIS", unlike the "jules Verne" example at the moment.
Also, I believe every second console panel has a visual monitor, read "old tv screen".  Please keep it up, really 1st rate!!

celation

I love these discussions about the details!  :)

Every time this console is brought up, there's more small details that I haven't seen before.

Yes - every second panel had a monitor on it - though at least one was a dummy monitor housing.

Great renders. Loving the refraction!

C.

dreamland fantasy

Jun 15, 2010, 09:05 pm #13 Last Edit: Jun 15, 2010, 09:08 pm by dreamland fantasy
@Rob

Many thanks for your comments. That's high praise indeed coming from yourself as I am a big fan of your work!  ;D

Yeah, I spent ages trying to get the time rotor (central column) looking right. I guess it's paid off. :)

@doctordean

Thanks for your comments. This console is my favourite too. I always preferred the classic series consoles, with the exception of the Edwardian one, to the McGann movie and new series ones.

My plan was just to concentrate on one panel at a time. Once I've got the first panel out of the way I was going to look at starting on the panels with the monitors. I've just copied the first panel around the console so that it is more visually interesting until I can get the other ones done.

@celation

Thanks for your comments too. I'm glad you like the refraction. It took me some time to get it looking "just right" so I'm glad it's being appreciated. :)

Kind regards,

Francis

dreamland fantasy

Hi there,

After a few more details added and some further refinement I think I've pretty much finished the first panel of the TARDIS console:

tardis console 11.jpg

I would appreciate any comments that anyone has, especially regarding anything that you think looks wrong.

Kind regards,

Francis