Mar 28, 2024, 08:35 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Post construction

Started by rnojek, Jun 11, 2010, 04:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

slidin_sidewayz

Am I the only one who giggled at clicking the "post" button after discussing posts?  :P

philipw

I emailed Bill after his post about the 2-sided post (yeah, kind of funny to say that), as I have yet to see anything that indicated they were built with two boards only, so I'll let him speak for himself on the topic, but I have so far only seen 4-sided posts and can't work out a construction method with only two boards that would be better than just the version seen above.

If there are photos of a 2-board construction method I'd love to see it before I commit to my final build plans.

DoctorWho8

I forgot the Series 1 prop had the hollow 4-sided corner posts.  I'm just not sure all the newer wooden props built after the initial two hero props followed the same structure.

I do know that many people who have built their corner posts on their own boxes have done the 2 corner method and they have been sturdy.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

philipw

Quote from: DoctorWho8 on Oct 09, 2010, 12:14 am
I do know that many people who have built their corner posts on their own boxes have done the 2 corner method and they have been sturdy.

Though I haven't seen any detailed builds using this method, I don't doubt it's sturdy, but I don't think it would be sturdy and lighter than the 4 board post method, and at least at this point I have yet to see any photos that indicates this is how any of the NST were built.

At least for my build, I'd like to use the same methods of build as the show props unless there's a really strong reason to deviate.

For example, I do plan to have a socket in the base for an extension of the posts to stick into to make it easier to assemble.

DoctorWho8

My memory has been offset this week due to starting a new job and my body is getting back into a normal work schedule.  What I meant by the 2 boards, is actually 4 boards stacked into groups of 2, giving the appearance of two thick boards.  Sorry for the confusion.

philipw

I'd like to just wrap up the conversation on the way the posts are made on the NST.

While you could make them to look from the outside like they are square with a different design, the wood NSTes all have square posts make from four boards like detailed up above.

I have this on good authority.  ;)

The Other

What would be good thickness and length on the wood for the post if you made them like the "hollow box" technique. I'm working on a newberry tardis if that makes any diff. Thanks
The Other