Apr 16, 2024, 10:18 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Glen (KiwiDocs)'s new 1/4 scale project

Started by kiwidoc, Jun 03, 2010, 04:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

kiwidoc

Hello everyone!!  I'm coming out of (un-announced and un-noticed and un-enjoyable, and inaccurately assumed should-anyone-have-thought-about-it-at-all) retirement to start a new build diary.  Though as usual I have a few projects on the back burner, I started a new one lat week that I'd like to share.  In the last six months I've had some changes in life but am now back on an even keel, have a workshop space again, itchy building fingers, and some associates with TARDIS-y interests but no building skills.  With that combination of factors in mind, what do you think the following pics might indicate?

bDSC05242.JPGbDSC05244.JPGbDSC05246.JPGbDSC05248.JPGbDSC05255.JPG

kiwidoc

Jun 03, 2010, 04:47 am #1 Last Edit: Jun 03, 2010, 05:03 am by kiwidoc
Yes, you guessed it... 4 quarter scale TARDISes.   You builders that have done this know that the time is largely spent in measuring, calculating and setting up for cuts sio the actual practice of doing a few extra passes to make additional parts up doesn't take much more effort.  I've decided to test myself and build 4 at once (all the same version, I'm not totally crazy).   They're made in much the same way as a full scale box, all the same parts virtually, the only difference is needing to make my own quarter-rounds for the corner posts and the post construction which is cut down from  2"x4" timber instead of layered up.    I'm experimenting with some different techniques this time from the 3 previous models I've made so will be interesting to see which work better.

Some pieces coming together:

I hope to finish them this coming weekend.  Last night's job was attacked the posts and sign boxes, tonights is attaching post frames to the bases and test-fitting walls.

PS:  Made all panels in one go (16 of the things, about 150 pieces!!) and will cut the best ones down them ibble to form doors.  I already allowed for the sawing width when sizing the panels.

stay tuned..

DoctorWho8

Bloody Nora, that an assembly line of TARDISes.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

acquiesce

wow  ;D santa an his elves have started early this year congrats to the lapland tardis builders group  ;)
seriously tho great stuff glen can,t wait to see
I didn't invent the hypothetical situation, but let's just suppose for a second that I did........

mordrogyn

Looks like a veritable production line you've got going there.

What come next?
Building every model TARDIS simultaneously? :P
(http://i50.tinypic.com/20kan9v.jpg)

kiwidoc

Jun 04, 2010, 01:11 am #7 Last Edit: Jun 04, 2010, 01:16 am by kiwidoc
Quote from: mordrogyn on Jun 03, 2010, 12:02 pm
Looks like a veritable production line you've got going there.

What come next?
Building every model TARDIS simultaneously? :P

Don't tempt me - I don't think I have enough paper in the house for all of the calculations that'd be needed for more than one design of TARDIS.   It does put me in mind of Purple Blancmange and his wish to one day have 1:1 versions of all screen TARDISEs - just storing them would be a challenge let alone figuring out and building the blighters.   A bit more progress last night - bases now glued to posts and looking all good so far.  A couple of little glitches have arisen - one of the roofs is slightly too large (poor cutting on the corner mitres probably) so will need to be filed down and several of the TARDISes have a slight lean to them but that is undoubtedly because I glued them (posts to sign boxes) by hand using my eye instead of a solid guide but will be easily fixed when I put the walls in and pull the alignment straight again.   Tonights jobs is screwing through the base into the posts (carefully), cutting 32 window frames from balsa, cutting perspex and printed overhead projector transparencies for the signage and selecting which walls will be made into doors tomorrow.  Whew.

DSC05405.JPGDSC05413.JPGDSC05424.JPGDSC05427.JPG

kiwidoc

PS:  I have just re-read my posts and should point out that these aren't being done commericially, just as a personal hobby and I don't take commissions etc; just have several friends who have seen my models and want their own (and won't stop bringing it up!) so decided to take the plunge and do several at once.  Haven't told my associates yet - should get a good reaction (depending how they turn out!).  I made an NST for a wedding present last year and that went down very well.  After I finish these ones and some bookshelves and my 1:4 consoles and my 1:1 K9 and a few other things I may have to do one of those for myself.  Or maybe two (one dressed as a Matt Smith version.  Or maybe 4 because of all the versions since 2005 - why do they keep changing things???!!    >:( ;D ;)

- glen

kiwidoc

Well, didn't complete them at the weekend (far from it) as, predictably really, other things came up.   Screwed posts to bases, cut final parts (door steps, doors, sign box ends, signage, dirtied up the window perspex) and starting trying to do window frames from balsa.  As per real builds, the window frames are a major pain and I've deicded I must be cutting against ther grain of the balsa so will try cutting a few the other way round next.  2 down, 30 to go  :(   

Feeling good though, can see it coming together soon, maybe a few hours during the evenings this week will set me up to finish next weekend.  Maybe.  :)

mordrogyn

Windows?? Don't talk to me about windows!!!!

Lol,

Yes I feel you, they are a royal pain when you have only 8 to make on a full sized build, I can't even begin to imagine 30 for 4 quarter sized builds, i can only assume you have masochistic tendencies lol, I'm joking of course.

Liking the one that's sitting by the ones in progress that is complete btw, looking very nice.
(http://i50.tinypic.com/20kan9v.jpg)

kiwidoc

Okay, latest update - attached all steps (below sign boxes), filled gaps in the roof pieces with no-more-gaps putty stuff, and the boxes are ready for the start basic undercoat painting tonight.  Still don't know what to attach doors with - use little hinges in the past on my old box (even hinged the windows) but only attached them with hot glue which was fine but has needed occasional touch ups.   A piano hinge might be an option to consider?   Not sure, will worry about that later.   Ever wondered what a couple of two-storey TARDISes would look like?

bDSC05452.JPG

DoctorWho8

It's a TARDIS apartment block.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

kiwidoc

Jul 18, 2010, 12:40 am #13 Last Edit: Aug 09, 2012, 09:05 pm by Scarfwearer
A few self explanatory pics (making doors, painitng interiors, adding sign details, comparing to 1:1 post (yup they are 1:4 scale), adding dirtying paint effects to them one by one).  FINALLY going to finish these today - had locks and handles done - just need to complete the lamps, paint the newest pieces and add a piece of transparency with fresnel lens type lines inside the lamp housings.bDsc05479.jpgbDsc05517.jpgbDsc05518.jpgbDsc05528.jpgBDsc05529.jpgbDsc05531.jpgbDsc05551.jpgbDsc05535.jpgbDsc05558.jpgbDsc05573.jpgbDsc05612.jpgbDsc05629.jpg

lorisarvendu

I'm currently building two models in parallel so I understand a bit of what you're experiencing.  A strange mixture of tedium and "easyness" is the only way I can describe it.  Building 4 together is definitely quicker than building them separately, but it just never seems to end!

Very very nice pics.  It looks like it's only taken you about a month to do, is that right?

32 windows though!  Argghhh!!!