Mar 29, 2024, 09:40 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Black/White Window Panes (NST2010)...

Started by Praetorian, May 27, 2010, 04:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Praetorian

May 27, 2010, 04:08 pm Last Edit: Oct 22, 2012, 02:25 pm by Scarfwearer
Hi all... Have you noticed the colour changing window panes on the Matt Smith TARDIS?...

Has anyone got any ideas as to how one might build a window system that could display the black panes in the new 2010 TARDIS when the lights were off, but turn them white when the lights get switched on?

I have noted the posts regarding the probably use of EL sheets to illuminate the windows and I was wondering if a polarised sheet might exist, although probably expensive and the "blackness" of the black might be compromised (it seems that polarised filters tend to give a charcoal grey, rather than pitch black).

I thought that someone here might know something about this. I'm assuming that the screen prop uses interchangeable windows (?).
Live Life & Be Free.

mordrogyn

May 27, 2010, 04:11 pm #1 Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 04:12 pm by mordrogyn
The windows don't change color....

The light refracts and reflects differently off the textured panes than it does on the others, this is more noticeable when the internal lights are off than when they are on.

When the lights are off, the EL sheets are not behind the glass, otherwise you would still be able to see them
(http://i50.tinypic.com/20kan9v.jpg)

galacticprobe

May 28, 2010, 04:47 am #2 Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 04:48 am by galacticprobe
One possibility could be that they're using the same sort of "light box" behind each window like they did for the Eccleston/Tennant TARDIS to light them up, only difference being Matt Smith's TARDIS having slightly dark-tinted windows so that when the lights are off the windows look black (or there nearly). Another possibility is that when they don't need the windows lit, as when the TARDIS is in a bright location, they slip a piece of "blackout" material into a slot right behind the windows so when the lights are off you can't see into the light box through the windows. (I think everyone knows what I mean by that; if someone knows a clearer way of saying it, please do.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

mordrogyn

OK...

Take a look at the first picture in this thread:

http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=1483.0

The white is the EL sheet held in place by 4 tabs around the outside.
When the TARDIS is in a bright location and it's internal lights are to be off, remove EL sheet and substitute blacked out sheet as Dino said.

Hows that?  ;)

Praetorian

Hm... ???

All good theories. The tabs with removable EL/black sheets seems the most practical and easiest to implement, plus the photographic evidence is compelling.

I'm still not sure if there will be a simple way of switching from the black to EL lit panes, preferably with the flick of a switch... Rotating panes? LCD backing?... Perhaps I'll just pick a window colour and stick with it! :S
Live Life & Be Free.

DoctorWho8

I suggested elsewhere that if you can find black drapery material that is the right thickness, you can put it behind your windows to make them look dark.  Then when your internal light is on, the light will still come through the drapery.  On the 80's props, they use black curtains behind the windows because early on you could see window from inside the prop when the doors were open (See Logopolis when the Doctor comes out of the TARDIS after it lands on Logopolis).
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

Theta Sigma

Quote from: Praetorian on May 28, 2010, 03:40 pm
Hm... ???

All good theories. The tabs with removable EL/black sheets seems the most practical and easiest to implement, plus the photographic evidence is compelling.

I'm still not sure if there will be a simple way of switching from the black to EL lit panes, preferably with the flick of a switch... Rotating panes? LCD backing?... Perhaps I'll just pick a window colour and stick with it! :S

I can't help but notice that my LCD computer monitor is black when I turn it off.  If you could find some old LCD monitors and mount them behind your windows, and have them display a white image somehow, then they would turn black when the power was removed.  Just a thought.

"I just put 1.795372 & 2.204628 together." - 4th Doctor

Praetorian

Yes! This came to my mind too! At first I dismissed the notion, due to expense, but in fact a cheap LCD doesn't cost a great deal!... With sufficient contrast and a good back light, it just might work!... I'm thinking EL for the sides, LCD for the front... Perhaps a thin-client computer hidden in the roof section to control the whole thing...  8)

Hm... Suddenly had an image of the TARDIS displaying the BSD on boot... :D
Live Life & Be Free.

mordrogyn

Would they not need to be connected to a computer in order to display an image?
Most machines can run 2 maybe 3 screens, you would need one per window (assuming a full size build) that's 8 screens, seems like a lot of money and hassle.

I really do think that you are over complicating things.

galacticprobe

May 29, 2010, 03:29 am #9 Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 06:39 pm by galacticprobe
Actually, I think he's planning to use the LCD monitor plan for the door windows and EL sheet for the sides and back (if I read his post correctly).

So the one computer running two monitors would work in that method.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

mordrogyn

Well.... I for one would not wish to "slam" any door that had an LCD mounted on it...

Theta Sigma

Quote from: galacticprobe on May 29, 2010, 03:29 am
Actually, I think he's planning to use the LCD monitor plan for the door windoes and EL sheet for the sides and back (if I read his post correctly).

So the one computer running two monitors would work in that method.

Dino.

A microcontroller based RGB VGA tester configured to display a solid white image might be easier and cheaper than having to use a computer. 

Ex. of what I'm referring to: http://www.scienceprog.com/attiny2313-monitor-tester/

"I just put 1.795372 & 2.204628 together." - 4th Doctor

galacticprobe

May 29, 2010, 06:46 pm #12 Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 06:48 pm by galacticprobe
OK! That is rather cool. (Being in the electronics field I wonder why I've never heard of this before. Ah, but my field is military electronics, and at least in the Coast Guard, when it comes to 'trons, we've always been behind the curve.)

But Mordrogyn brings up a good point. If, amidst the excitement, someone slams a door that has an LCD window, or someone or something accidentally makes violent contact with one of the windows, it could get ugly (not to mention inconvenient, embarrassing, expensive).

Dino.

Praetorian

'Over complicating things'... Me? Never!... ;D

I'm just thinking outside of the box, inside the box, etc. ;)

As for door slamming, there'll be none of that in my garden thank you very much! Besides, laptop screens take some day-to-day knocks and come out pretty much okay, so I'm sure I could rig up something that could work. Also, what's the difference between the damage done when bashing an LCD/TFT/monitor screen and a pane of glass/Perspex? I would undoubtedly protect the monitor with an outside pane of some sort, especially being in the garden. Moisture would probably be the biggest threat.

I'm liking the video test circuit! Very swish and far more practical than rigging a PC in the roof!

I'm already enjoying the challenges this build is presenting me with! I can't wait to start my diary!
Live Life & Be Free.

galacticprobe

May 30, 2010, 05:37 am #14 Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 05:39 am by galacticprobe
Moisture might not be the biggest threat. Depending on where you live, if your TARDIS is going to be outside year round, then freezing will be the biggest threat to an LCD monitor. My son accidentally left his cell phone in his car once and overnight the temp dropped to a balmy 24 degrees. When he found his phone the next morning, the phone still worked, but the LCD screen was solid black because all of the liquid crystals had frozen (and shattered, so to speak). Thankfully his mother has the foresight to buy the extra protection plan on his phone which covered ANY sort of damage, no matter the cause. But outside temp is something to consider unless you plan to store your monitor windows inside during periods of cold weather (or have your TARDIS heated).

Dino.