Apr 23, 2024, 10:28 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Panels

Started by mordrogyn, Apr 29, 2010, 01:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mordrogyn

Well, this is something that has been bugging me and I just want to make sure that i am on the right track, which might sound odd given that I started a build previously....

Looking around the forums at plans for other boxes I find myself wondering:

Is measurement given for the panel dimensions itself or does it include the chamfered edge of the trim that surrounds it?
Sometimes it seems that the trim can appear very thin if the panel is made to the size indicated.
(http://i50.tinypic.com/20kan9v.jpg)

galacticprobe

Apr 29, 2010, 06:45 am #1 Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 01:02 pm by galacticprobe
I think it would be safe to say "It's all relative" and will eventually come down to how it looks to your eye. To some, that roughly 1/4" or so on each side won't matter (meaning that the panels will end up being - examples here guys - 14.5"H x 11.5"W on the INSIDE of the chamfered edges, with the 15" x 12" being the OUTSIDE edge and looking good). It could also mean that super perfectionists will notice and feel that it just doesn't look quite right. (No offense intended to anyone here, but in my nautical living history world where I portray a ship's carpenter of the US Civil War Era US Revenue Cutter Service - forerunner to the modern US Coast Guard, of which I am still a proud active duty member, as I digress... We call the over perfectionists who scrutinize EVERY aspect of our CW uniforms "Stitch Nazis".)

Now, I know the term "TARDIS Nazi" is rather harsh, and I doubt that anyone associated with this or any other builders' forum is one, but we all do have our quirks and when we look at a box we will no doubt see something that is slightly off, while others looking at the same thing won't. So again I say it's all relative and comes down to what YOUR eye likes. After all it is YOUR box. (Of course, if you're like me and a moderate perfectionist, you'll want your box to be as "accurate" as possible, which brings about another point: were ANY of the TARDIS props used at any time throughout the series - classic or new - "accurate"?) Decidedly, and unfortunately, that answer has to be no if you're referring to a real police box.

Even in "Logopolis" the Doctor tells Adric that the chameleon "might" be unstuck if they can program into its block transfer computations the proper dimensions of a "real" police box, as when the TARDIS took its form it got some of its information off, and since the outside isn't the correct size of a police box it could be why the circuit is stuck.

So, after prattling on again (and again I'll blame it on those pain meds I'm taking), I would say draw up a TARDIS both ways, either on paper or computer - measuring the panels with and without the chamfer - and see which one looks better to your eye. And while I mention that I'm a moderate perfectionist, every box that I've seen built - on the tele, on this forum, in other internet photos, even the Peter Cushing box, etc. - looks fabulous and I wouldn't change a thing on any of them. (OK... maybe I'd turn that door around on the Crich box so the proper side is facing outward; in that aspect I will declare myself a TARDIS Nazi "Rivet Counter".)

Dino
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"