K9

Started by ravage, Apr 20, 2010, 02:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ravage

K9
Apr 20, 2010, 02:14 pm Last Edit: Nov 29, 2010, 02:05 pm by Scarfwearer
im in the middle of building my custom k9 mark 7 i decided to call him
and combinded wood and metal together

i just wanted to know if anyone else has tried it or has made one?

Scarfwearer

Glad to hear you've started a K.9, and welcome aboard!

I started a metal clad K.9, but I'm afraid he's been on hold for so long now he's probably better classed as 'abandoned' :/. I was making progress for a while there, though. Unfortunately he went rusty...
The story so far is here: Scarfwearer's K.9.

Crispin

ravage

well considering i keep rescucing k9 mark 7 my ol' boy i will be starting to build his electronics and i do not really understand electronics so it will be intresting
i will be posting up all his parts i builded from sctrach myself
all metal body with a base of wood only even the head metal

ravage

would anyone be able to help me with electonics or send me any photo referances so i might get an idea how to figure it out please

i will be posting up my k9 mark 7 parts shortly in the next few hours
he is the same size as k9 mark 1-4 in the body and head
i just did not have the compelete insutcutions

ravage

these's are my mark 7 photos that i said that i post im going to oil the base tomorrow 1st to protect it from the weather then add the body untill i work out the electronics on himk9 base close up before i oil it to protect it from the weather.JPGk9 close up head shot.JPGk9 head panels with extra one as a  just in case.JPGk9 eft and right side panels.JPGk9 front and back panels.JPGk9 top side panel.JPG

quigonj

Hi,

Very cool start!

Look through the comments on the Lovelace thread. We have been talking about the motors used on the real K9s, what controller I am gonna get, and so on. The original K9 used a wheelchair motor, and since then they have used a pair of windshield wiper motors to move him. I also linked to YouTube videos recommended to me on the WhoProps board to show how the various movements like ears and the tail movement can be done.

I don't know enough on the electronics yet to give you specific instructions, but hopefully what I've given you will help!

ravage

May 19, 2010, 09:32 am #6 Last Edit: Jun 08, 2010, 04:58 pm by Scarfwearer
heres an update to my mark 7 now i kept taking pics so you would see he's a slow build for one reason he wont have wheels your proberly thinking why? thats a good question which will be shown in time patience
and this time after you see the new pics i put on the old ones the measurements both inches and cm to help anyone thinking of a simaler build
so now here are the new pics
IMG_3698.JPGIMG_3699.JPGIMG_3702.JPGIMG_3704.JPGIMG_3701.JPG
the last pic of the braket was made from a maget door clip i was surpized how strong it was

Scarfwearer

Looks like he's coming along nicely.

I don't know how much you've worked with sheet metal before, but I hope you wear good gloves when you're near those sharp metal edges. :o

Crispin

ravage

i never forgot k9 as im building my tardis so here are some new photos where he's build is up to untill i can get some motors and electronics for himIMG_3743.JPGIMG_3745.JPGIMG_3748.JPGIMG_3752.JPGIMG_3749.JPG i made the brakets from the skirting edges that they on counters

davidnagel

woah

k9 in metal?

are you madddd

:D
Regards
David

Scarfwearer

ahem!

I started a metal K9 also... :)

Crispin

mordrogyn

Well surely although K9 is fiberglass in the show you are supposed to believe it is metal, so what better way than to make it from metal.
(http://i50.tinypic.com/20kan9v.jpg)

quigonj

That looks cool so far!

galacticprobe

Jun 08, 2010, 08:50 am #13 Last Edit: Jun 08, 2010, 08:51 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: davidnagel on Jun 07, 2010, 11:49 am
woah

k9 in metal?

are you madddd

:D

Let's not forget Micky's comment in "School Reunion" when he first saw K9: "It's a tin dog!"

So why not make one out of tin? It looks like it's going swimmingly so far.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

ravage

thanks to everyone for your support i will keep everyone updated when i post  new post and photos