Apr 26, 2024, 11:01 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

NST2010

Started by pmc, Apr 17, 2010, 04:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pmc

Hello everyone i have a couple of updates.

I've completed the under floor frame. Its a basic X shape with support round the corner post supports. The X shape is because of the way I have constructed the floor in four sections.

pmc_tb62.jpg

I then added an inner square for more support.

pmc_tb63.jpg

pmc_tb64.jpg

As i had to cut the floor sections at the corners to allow the corner post supports to be inserted there were sections on the base where it is rebated that I had to fill in.

pmc_tb65.jpg

pmc_tb66.jpg

Once done I was then able to at last insert the corner posts

pmc_tb67.jpg

pmc_tb68.jpg

Next I attached some temporary braces at the top of the corner posts so that they were in the correct position in relation to each other while I make the top sign boxes.

pmc_tb69.jpg

Next I started constructing of the top sign boxes by cutting all the wood. I cut the shape of the top and bottom sections in pairs so that they were identical.

pmc_tb70.jpg

pmc_tb71.jpg

pmc_tb72.jpg

pmc_tb73.jpg

Next I cut a 5mm channel in all the front faces for the sign to fit into

pmc_tb75.jpg

pmc_tb76.jpg

Now a while ago I bought the acrylic sheet that I was going to use for the top signs. I then ordered four reverse cut vinyl stickers to stick on the back side of the acrylic. I looked into the best way to apply these vinyl stickers and it seemed the best way to do it was to spray the acrylic and the exposed vinyl with a water soap mixture. A drop or two of soap and a spray can of water, this allows you to manipulate the vinyl into its final position. I tried my best to keep the acrylic clean, only peeling the protective sheet of it at the last minute. Anyway I applied the vinyl which seemed to go on ok with the help of the water soap mix, the problem was there were small specks of dust trapped between the vinyl and acrylic and these looked awful after it all dried. For this reason I have commissioned a company to do the lot for me and supply me with the acrylic with the vinyl stickers already applied. Until these arrive though I am using my fudged signs, unfortunately these pictures don't show how bad they are.

pmc_tb77.jpg

I've also bought some fluorescent light fittings that will go in the sign boxes.

pmc_tb78.jpg

pmc_tb79.jpg

pmc_tb80.jpg

pmc_tb81.jpg

pmc_tb82.jpg

Well that's it for now. Only other news is that the Tardis construction has found a new home, the conservatory. The garage wasn't big enough to do the work and have the Tardis sitting in the corner. The good news is that I can probably get the roof on now its in the conservatory.

tony433433

Looking good!  For the fresnel lantern, what is the model name?  I am trying to find it, but cannot find one with the correct spokes.  I am tring to make a TARDIS inspired household object (build details to come), and I would like to find the fresnel lantern you used as a hanging ceiling light.  I already bought the other lamp to disassemble and use for the pieces/parts needed.

Also, where did you find the dimensions for everything?  Again, as mine will not be an entire TARDIS, but an object TARDIS-ized, I am in need of good dimensions of which I can do some scaling magic.

Keep up the good work!

Doctor Iz

Simply Bravo!
Keep up the good work and keep posting updated pics of your progress.

Cheers,
Jon
(http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h310/jonizdo/Logos/DRIZ_rev20080226copy-2.jpg)

pmc

Hi thanks for the comments.

Tony433433, my lamp is a "New Haven 60W Lantern Outdoor Wall Light - Rustic". It too had six spokes instead of four but a bit of DIY and it was easy to alter this down to four. This is the exact same lamp that is used on the promotional prop at the BBC with the addition of the canopy from the 2005 Tardis lamp.

My dimensions were painstakingly obtained from pictures I took of the promotional prop then extrapolating known dimensions like the lamp and my height as I was in one of the photos. I have been told that they are pretty close so that's good enough for me. If you would like a copy then let me have your email address and I'll send you a pdf with imperial and metric dimensions.

I've been really busy recently so the build has slowed a bit. I do have some updates and I'll post as soon as possible.

Paul.

pmc

Hello again well as I was saying Iv been a bit busy lately but do have some update photos for you.

Below are some pictures showing the construction of my top sign boxes. These are now completed and glued, the only part not glued is the left side chamfered panel. This is to allow me to remove the acrylic signs for when I eventually paint the Tardis.

pmc_tb83.jpg

Here I'm trying to show the grove that the acrylic top sign slides into.

pmc_tb84.jpg

pmc_tb86.jpg

pmc_tb87.jpg

Next I attached them to the corner posts also removing my temporary braces that were holding the posts in place. The sign boxes are screwed to the corner post with two screws at either side.

pmc_tb88.jpg

I also bought some fluorescent light fittings to illuminate the signs, here is one temporarily in place.

pmc_tb91.jpg

As I mentioned earlier my attempts at sticking the reverse cut vinyl sign to the acrylic was not too good with a few dust particles trapped. I decided to get these made up from scratch and these arrived last week. One thing I will say is that although they are much better than mine they still have some trapped particles that you can see. One thing I have learned here is that if I were to make the signs again I would do them totally different. First off I wouldn't get them reverse printed but instead get them printed normally. I would then stick these on the front of the acrylic, by doing this you cant see the unsightly trapped dust particles that you inevitably get. I would then have a thinner piece of acrylic over this essentially trapping the vinyl in the middle.

The picture below shows the signs I made in place, these will eventually be replaced.

pmc_tb89.jpg

And finally I managed to cut the back wall.

pmc_tb90.jpg

Next is to cut the other two walls and start thinking about the paneled cladding.

Paul.

philipw

Progress is looking terrific.

slidin_sidewayz

That, coming from Philip, is one hell of a compliment!

pmc

Well hello everyone, it's been a while but due to other commitments iv been unable to spend any time on my build. Anyway I have a couple of updates and hopefully can get back on track.

I now have three walls in my Tardis, so this weekend decided to cut out the holes for the windows and start to apply the wood cladding that will become the door stiles and rails.

The walls are marine ply and the picture below show the windows cut out.

pmc_tb92.jpg

I have decided to leave the front doors until I have all the sides done. Before cutting the windows I marked all the sides where the rails and stiles will go. If you look closely you can see them here.

pmc_tb93.jpg

I haven't quite cut the windows to the actual size, once all the cladding is on I will use my router to trim these up.

pmc_tb94.jpg

I cut all the rails and stiles to length and using a 45 degree router bit chamfered the edges.

As I think it would be difficult to clamp the rails and stiles in place while the wood glue dries I decided to fix them from inside using screws. I started with the stiles so drilled 5 holes in the ply where the stiles will intersect with the rails.

pmc_tb95.jpg

Once done I applied wood glue to the stiles lined them up then secured them from the back with screws.

pmc_tb96.jpg

Next it was time to try and create the rails. I decided to use the same method as philipw where the rails meet the stiles. I wasn't confident on cutting the 45 degree angle on the stiles so decided to use my router.

pmc_tb97.jpg

pmc_tb98.jpg

pmc_tb99.jpg

Next I hand cut the rest off to provide me with the edge I needed.

pmc_tb100.jpg

pmc_tb101.jpg

pmc_tb102.jpg

Next these were glued in place using the same screwed from the back method as used with the stiles.

pmc_tb103.jpg

Well this is as far as I have got but hope to have all the sides complete this weekend.

Paul.

geminitimelord

Looking good. I had chance to see a NST almost complete and you look like you captured the build well.

Mark

Only just found this, sorry but I'm still catching up!

The amount of preparation and planning you seem to  have done really shows. The base construction is very different to what I've seen before but looks very substantial.

This amazing router you (and others previously) mention seems a fantastic bit of kit. I think my brother has one so I think when I eventually get to make my full size box (if concrete eludes me) I shall be pestering him  ;D

I know it may sound empty coming from someone who has yet to build anything from wood (come to think of it I havn't even finished my card version yet   :-[)  but your carpentry is looking amazing. Nice job mate.

pmc

The base design was out of necessity as I couldn't get timber from my supplier of sufficient size to do it in one piece, the base or the floor.

They say a bad workman always blames his tools but let me say that having the right ones certainly helps a lot. I did invest in a router, router table and saw bench at some considerable cost but couldn't have done this job without them.

The last woodwork I did was at school (quite a while ago lol) but find it a good medium to work with. If you take your time it is quite easy to achieve what you want and is very forgiving.

I think getting the dimensions right, right from the start has saved me time and effort. I have the added bonus of being able to construct it in 3D on my computer  which is very helpful when trialling techniques and just getting the overall impression of scale and relative sizes.

Having said all that I think I am in with a chance for the slowest build ever ;).

Paul

Sorvan

Quote from: pmc on Feb 29, 2012, 09:30 am
Having said all that I think I am in with a chance for the slowest build ever ;).

You'll have to take a few years off for that to be the case.  I started my build in 2005.  One of these years I'll actually finish it!

Colin

Mark

At least you actually have some bit built Sorvan, mines still on paper  :-[

galacticprobe

Mar 04, 2012, 05:33 pm #88 Last Edit: Mar 04, 2012, 05:35 pm by galacticprobe
Yours isn't the only one, Mark! Mine's still on paper, in several varieties, because I have to go with a (roughly) 55% scale console and I'm really having trouble getting bits to fit correctly; I've got small rooms in my house >:(. (I may have to re-think my approach and come up with a hybrid console. ???) I've also still got my hybrid TARDIS (heavy on the Hartnell side) still on paper. Problem now is money for supplies, and a bad back that limits mobility. :P

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Mark

Glad it's not just me Dino.

My problem (currently) is nowhere to build it and then nowhere to put it when built!

Obviously during the current climate all my hard earned cash has to be put into more practical (and boring) things.

One day....