Apr 20, 2024, 06:53 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

K-9's head. Why is it on an angle??

Started by slidin_sidewayz, Apr 14, 2010, 12:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

slidin_sidewayz

Apr 14, 2010, 12:02 pm Last Edit: Jul 03, 2019, 04:23 am by warmcanofcoke
Just doing my research on K-9 and although some of the pictures that follow seem to be the same prop they all beg the same question- why is K-9's head on an odd angle? I have seen a few videos on Youtube and various pics on the web but there seems to be a lot of replicas with this anomaly. Even replicas that claim to be from the original moulds.
Here he is on the Weakest Link
2344667574_298f9a99a1.jpg

The next few are after his resto by the Doctor
lis_sladen_k9_new_bbc_400_400x300.jpg
k9_3.jpg

But looking at the "before" shots I think the later one is a less than perfect version of the one they "dirtied up" of him which, for one thing, has the proper laser nosehole and more eye lens blinds (not to mention with a level head), thus-
doc_sarah_k9.jpg

Just curious. Mine WON'T be crooked, I can assure you.  ;D

lespaceplie

I'm not sure why the vintage prop in its present condition couldn't have its head straightened for that episode. I suppose there wasn't enough time. The new rusted prop looks okay to me. Of course, you can construct it with symmetry. Speaking of symmetry, the real issue with the original props is that the head itself isn't! This has proved to be a problem when trying to extrapolate the dimensions from photos. Consequently, with the help of some verification from experts in touch with the real props on this very forum, the dims in my plans have been "sanitized" in order to be symmetrical and still look as right as possible. Nobody wants to build a wonky head.

eddyc

Anyone who has a dog knows the answer.

Ask your pet a stupid question and they tilt their head when they look at you.

The K-9 I built back in the '80's had a pin in his head so when you moved his head passed the max height the head would tilt to the left.

John Nathan Turner laughed like crazy when I showed him.

Rox

Quote from: eddyc on Apr 14, 2010, 04:29 pm
Anyone who has a dog knows the answer.

Ask your pet a stupid question and they tilt their head when they look at you.

That's my thought too; he looks much more interesting with the head tilt. :)
My pilot's license? That's out back in the Cessna. Or perhaps you're referring to my license to kill. Revoked. Trouble at the Kazakhstan border.

I could give you the details but then I'd have to kill you, which I can't do because my license to kill has been revoked.

timerotor

I noticed that the K9 head with less red slats acorss the eye section dates back to 'The Five Doctors', with Sara Jane in the drive in 1983.
I was told that it was the original K9 which was used as the restored one, and the dummy from the Tom Baker era (used when carried around) was fitted up as the rusty K9. Obviously motorised etc.
thats all.
MBH
living, learning, loving, refurbing, & preserving!

exleo

Jun 22, 2010, 06:14 pm #5 Last Edit: Jun 22, 2010, 06:16 pm by exleo
You are right Timerotor, see my potted K9 prop history in the K9 ears post for details......
As to the head being on an angle, The prop was built to last for 4 episodes and has now been around for 33 years, if you look closely it has been patched and filled and it's a miracle ( and a lot of work on Matt Irvings part) that the prop even still exists. There was never much room for the neck support within the body as this consists mainly of the retractable arial (eye probe) and is one of the heaviest pieces of equipment. with the body shell in a state of constant collapse I imagine the supports have sheared off at some point and the head hangs by a wing and a prayer and some patching up..originally the head was on nice and square, it is only within the last 15 years that I have noticed it being at an angle....in dog years he is 231 years old...lets see who can hold their head up straight at that age...LOL

lespaceplie

It's odd that the production team continues to use the original prop on SJA. Wouldn't it have been more reliable to repaint the 2006 prop? For that matter - despite the budget - why not just pull another from the 2006 mold (if there is one - could be a fabrication instead)?

Rox

K9 is 237 you say?  That changes everything; head tilt in older dogs is usually the sign of an ear infection or vestibular.

I suggest antibiotics and ear drops.   :)
My pilot's license? That's out back in the Cessna. Or perhaps you're referring to my license to kill. Revoked. Trouble at the Kazakhstan border.

I could give you the details but then I'd have to kill you, which I can't do because my license to kill has been revoked.

exleo

Sadly the Original moulds no longer exist and in 3 decades+ K9 has been a work in constant progression, it would be nice to see a brand new prop made from scratch and I am sure it would solve a lot of continuous problems with the prop but I suppose they dont see the expense as viable.... a shame....

and by Series 2 of SJA the wonky head has been sorted..lol
cap019.jpg