Apr 18, 2024, 01:43 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

2010 Plans

Started by lorisarvendu, Apr 07, 2010, 03:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

qmarus

Quote from: rassilonsrod on May 07, 2013, 05:48 pm

I think there might be some confusion in the naming of the seasons. Dino is quite right;

1963-89 Season 1-26

2005-present Series 1-7

The dimensions of the boxes used during Series 1-7 are (broadly speaking) very similar. There was much more variation for the classic boxes. Hope that helps! :)

That helps immensely. I was confused, I was thinking/reading it in terms of boxes not seasons.

The image here:  http://www.themindrobber.co.uk/tardis-police-box.html has seriously stuck with me after seeing it.

But I must admit I did think the the current box was larger than the pre-2010 box.+

Thanks
-Joe

The14thDr

Nov 16, 2014, 02:53 pm #16 Last Edit: Nov 16, 2014, 02:53 pm by The14thDr
I'm not sure if this has already been answered or not, but does anyone know the approximate height and width of this particular TARDIS prop? I really want to start a scale build of the 2010 box but I've no idea where to begin as far as the dimensions are concerned. From there on out I should be able to work out all the different measurements provided I can find a nice head-on shot.

Kind regards, the14thDr :D
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

torran

Nov 16, 2014, 07:09 pm #17 Last Edit: Jan 19, 2018, 05:39 am by kiwidoc
For my virtual models I just used the 2005 plans that Bill made here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bkbkaameov9rwh7/2005TARDISPlans.pdf?
From there I believe I added 1.5" to each corner post and about an inch to the height of the base

The14thDr

So I've printed the plans off on A4 paper but I'm not sure what the scale is? I was originally thinking something along the lines of 1:9 or 1:8 scale, but I'm not sure if these are correct or not. Does anybody have any other ideas? If I knew the proper scale I could scale all the measurements upwards and then scale them all back down to the correct size I'll be using for my own build.

Kind regards, The14thDr :D

p.s. Could anyone who owns a 2010-style box give a little insight as to the height? Any help would be very gladly appreciated.

galacticprobe

Nov 21, 2014, 05:05 am #19 Last Edit: Nov 22, 2014, 04:44 am by galacticprobe
If you're talking about DoctorWho8's plans, then (at least on our US 8.5" x 11" paper), 1 inch=1 foot. Besides, the plans in the link above have measurements on them, and are also geared for 8.5" x 11" paper, with the same 1 inch=1 foot (which is 1:12 scale).

Although the scale shouldn't matter if you've got the measurements already on the plans. And as to the height of the 2010 box, I saw somewhere that from ground to the top of the lamp (which I believe included the cap) is 10 feet; if I could remember where I saw that I'l post a link to it. I'll see if I can find it again, unless someone else beats me to it (which I wouldn't mind at all ;)).

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

The14thDr

I downloaded the V1.1 plans at the top of the thread (which I am very annoyed at myself for as I've only just spotted the V1.3 plans a little further down). And I did a little measuring, and the size I printed at (A4) is just a little smaller than the 8.5x11 you have over in the USA. So that would mean that these plans are a little below 1:12 for me then, considering that my paper is a bit smaller.

galacticprobe

Nov 22, 2014, 04:52 am #21 Last Edit: Nov 22, 2014, 04:53 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: The14thDr on Nov 21, 2014, 07:20 am
...I've only just spotted the V1.3 plans a little further down). ...the size I printed at (A4) is just a little smaller than the 8.5x11... So that would mean that these plans are a little below 1:12 for me then, considering that my paper is a bit smaller.

The paper size and scale would be true, though I don't know to what extent because I have no idea just how much smaller A4 is than the 8.5 x 11. But with the measurements on the latest version of Bill's plans, the scale shouldn't be an issue; if a measure is 4 inches, it's still 4 inches. If you're planning a scale model based on those measurements, then just decide on what scale you want and divide - if you want the model to be 1/6th size, just divide each measurement by 6 to get the scaled measurement.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

darthrob

Could somebody possibly let me have some plans for a full size 2010 Tardis. Please!

davidnagel

Mar 16, 2016, 09:40 am #23 Last Edit: Mar 17, 2016, 08:58 am by davidnagel
Quote from: darthrob on Mar 16, 2016, 08:58 am
Could somebody possibly let me have some plans for a full size 2010 Tardis. Please!

Do have a look around a little more and you may find exactly what you're looking for :)
Regards
David

galacticprobe

Mar 17, 2016, 04:55 am #24 Last Edit: Mar 17, 2016, 04:57 am by galacticprobe
David is right, darthrob. We have a nice http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?board=29.0 Section which is accessible from the Main Page, and under that Section we've got a sub-board called http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?board=77.0. In there your best bet are the plans drawn up by DoctorWho8. He painstakingly studied and worked with the Series 1-4 TARDIS - which is essentially the same dimensions as the 2010 TARDIS. The only changes you'd really have to make are the lamp, giving the Old Girl a taller base, a St. John logo (and there is a Table for those in that TARDIS Workshop Section), and of course paint the window frames white rather than blue.

Also, check out the http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=6011.0 post: loads of good info in there, with some links to other - well - helpful things and hints. And there is also the Search bar at the top of every page for you to use. Just enter your search terms and you can search the entire Forum. (For more specific searches, at least get into the Section or sub-board you're interested in, and then search.)

I hope this helps.

Dino.