How much thicker are the corner posts on the series 4 prop?

Started by whofan88, Mar 18, 2010, 02:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

whofan88

I've been reading as much as I can on the NST Richmond/Thomas exterior prop because I would like to construct a version modeled after Matt Smith's TARDIS.  

How much thicker are the corner posts on the prop used in series 4 and the 2009 specials compared to the prop used in series 3?  Are the posts the same thickness on the Matt Smith prop compared to the prop used in series 4 and the 2009 specials?

From my understanding the Mk1 was constructed of timber and used to make the molds for the fiberglass exterior props.  The Mk2 is the modified version of the Mk1 changing the thickness of the corner posts, doors, side panels and so forth.  Was the Mk2 was used in series 4 and the 2009 specials?  Is Matt Smith's considered to be the same as the Mk2 with narrowed police signs or is it a completely new design which could be considered the Mk3?
There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes.

-The Doctor

DoctorWho8

The MK3 and the MK4 (Matt Smith) have about 1 inch thicker corner posts than the MK1 & MK2.  Also on the MK4, the roof is slightly narrower, making the roof pitch more angled and giving the illusion it's taller, but it's the same height.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

ThisJustinOnline

According to my calculations and measurements, the initial ones had around 4-4.25" posts and the newest versions have 6" posts, thats almost 2 inches wider.

mordrogyn

Really?

I had figured the posts were at 6" wide anyway...
Interesting

Now I find I must ask the question before I get that far and mess it up if I do in fact have wider posts, how wide is the sign box "supposed" to be?
This could quickly become a Mk III NST lol
(http://i50.tinypic.com/20kan9v.jpg)

whofan88

Quote from: DoctorWho8 on Mar 18, 2010, 03:53 am
The MK3 and the MK4 (Matt Smith) have about 1 inch thicker corner posts than the MK1 & MK2.  Also on the MK4, the roof is slightly narrower, making the roof pitch more angled and giving the illusion it's taller, but it's the same height.

Ok this is fantastic information.  Thanks a bunch.  Could you explain the differences between the MK1 to the MK4?  Or has there been an article written on here? 
There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes.

-The Doctor

DoctorWho8

Quote from: whofan88 on Mar 19, 2010, 12:59 am
Quote from: DoctorWho8 on Mar 18, 2010, 03:53 am

Ok this is fantastic information.  Thanks a bunch.  Could you explain the differences between the MK1 to the MK4?  Or has there been an article written on here? 

Look in TARDIS reference section.  I think the MK1-2 posts were 5-5 1/2 inches wide.  The MK3 & MK4 are 6-6.5 inches wide.

ThisJustinOnline

Pretty sure they were 4.25 Bill. Based on first hand measuring of the props back when the show first came out.

DoctorWho8

Quote from: Primrodo on Mar 19, 2010, 12:01 pm
Pretty sure they were 4.25 Bill. Based on first hand measuring of the props back when the show first came out.

Well, I made my plans with 5.5" posts.  Darn metrics.

mordrogyn

Which would mean that mine with 5.5" posts would be a MK III
Good to know otherwise I would have thought otherwise and made my signboxes too long

flintsteel

hi there, I'm a newbie to this forum but already begun planning & construction of my 2005 NST. I noticed on your's that you've pretty much worked out the corner post construction detail perfectly. Care to share the detail / method /source?
Thanks!
Flint from Colorado

mordrogyn

flintsteel

ThisJustinOnline

Hey Flint.

I actually cheated by having layered wood. My next attempt will be routered for sure!

This was was easier, mind you and looks rather good, but after awhile, the wood started expand in those areas and I had to fill the seams.

flintsteel

does this look close to how you built your posts?....2x4 and a trimmed 2x6 with 1/4" exterior veneer and 3/4" interior door/wall jambs....CornerPost Detail-1.jpg

ThisJustinOnline