Pics of the early NST being assembled on location

Started by slidin_sidewayz, May 10, 2011, 12:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

slidin_sidewayz

Hoping that someone can help me locate some pics that I had previously in my possession but have lost. It was a series of pictures from a website that may have been called something relating to Skaro, or Kronos, or something like that, but they showed the NST in various states of disassembly, as it was being put together on set quite early in the new series. There was pics of the whole collection of bits in a truck, on the ground, etc, as well as close up shots of the roof, walls and lamp. The sign boxes were joined by a power cable I think. I have scoured the net but cannot narrow down the search to what I want. I hope I jog some memories here. Thanks in advance!

Rassilons Rod

I think it was probably chronovore.org. Sorry I don't have those pics. I don't have much relating to the NST...
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

markofrani

I might have them. I'll have a look in my archive when I get home...

Teppic

There were some assembly pictures over at www.skonnos.co.uk, but sadly that's now a dead link.

kiwidoc

You might be thinking of the pics from Skonnos.net which I had permission to replicate on the TARDIS library pages: http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/~trekker/policeboxes/photostv4.html
- Glen

Quote from: slidin_sidewayz on May 10, 2011, 12:57 pm
Hoping that someone can help me locate some pics that I had previously in my possession but have lost. It was a series of pictures from a website that may have been called something relating to Skaro, or Kronos, or something like that

philipw

Hey Glen... a lot of the photos linked there show as missing. do you happen to still have them?

kiwidoc

Not sure why they're not showing - I think it's a photobucket issue.   I have the pics - email me a request with image name on librarianz@gmail.com and I can send to you.

markofrani

May 14, 2011, 07:01 am #7 Last Edit: Mar 12, 2018, 09:22 pm by Scarfwearer
Sorry about the delay. Here you go...
skonnos6.jpg
skonnos3.jpg
skonnos2.jpg
skonnos1.jpg
roof.jpg
photo072905q.jpg
ns4.jpg

galacticprobe

May 14, 2011, 04:01 pm #8 Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 04:46 pm by galacticprobe
Interesting how, in that last photo, the lamp's top is crooked, meaning that it's put together in more than one piece. Now I'm curious as to how they lock that little thing together because in the photo of the assembled roof sitting on its side, the lamp looks normal. Nothing is off-kilter; all is nice and tight.

That little bit of info might come in handy for people who are building more than one TARDIS (those lucky enough to be able to do that) and would like to bounce between the 2005 and 2010 versions of the TARDIS and use the same lamp top. This could work since the lamp top is basically the same, except for the little nib on the 2005 version:
2005TARDISlamp01.jpg (Image courtesy of Scarfwearer)

and the pointed "nipple" (for lack of a better word) on the 2010 version.
TARDIS-Lamp2011-01(lightened).jpg (Image courtesy of Timerotor)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

slidin_sidewayz

It would also seem that the lamp is either attached to the roof on one model and not others, or that it has come off as time progressed. Looking at the window bars one could guess that particular box had done some kays. I have to say the idea of the drop-in type lamp design of the current box is a good one. Anyone know how they backlit the sign boxes? Fluoros? Bulbs? Yes, the inside shots show bulbs, I know  ::), but what about the old prop itself?

galacticprobe

May 15, 2011, 07:51 am #10 Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 07:57 am by galacticprobe
Artron energy, dude; artron energy! ;) Harness it any way you can: fluorescents - compact or tubes; bulbs; EL panels...

I'm guessing that for heating concerns they probably used fluorescent tubes since they run cooler than regular bulbs, and provide uniform lighting (no spot brighter than another, which separate bulbs would do). They could also have used EL panels, which is what I think has been said they use for the Matt Smith box's windows. The Tennant box looked like it used several small fluorescent tubes to light each window, so maybe that's what they used for the top signs as well (regular size tubes, though).

They might be using the same thing for the Smith top sign boxes, or since it looks like they're using EL panels for the window lights, maybe they're also using it for the top signs as well?

I'm sure I'll be corrected if my guesses are way off.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"