Mar 05, 2021, 01:12 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!


Found - Two Mark 5 Police Boxes

Started by starcross, Feb 26, 2010, 07:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pod

Agreed ... I don't think there's ever been any close-up photos or dims of a genuine St John's badge ... has there??

ironageman

I posted a picture of a St John's badge on the old site once; diameter six inches, but as it wasn't off a police box it may not be the right design.

Aren't these boxes fine! There used to be something similar in Swindon, up above the main A-road near the Happy Eater. Alas I never stopped to photograph it. Does anyone else remember it?
leonard cohen  1934-2016  standing by the window where the light is strong

Scarfwearer

It's right there in the archive: [ref topic=122]St. John's Signage[/ref].

Crispin

whitestar2010

I'd almost forgotten about Ironageman' brilliant signage! A lovely blast from the past.

Having these two Mk3 boxes (thanks for the original tag Pete) suddenly appear out of the blue has really left me scratching my head - I'm frankly amazed that these two have sat unloved somewhere probably since the early seventies. Why have they only now come onto the market, were they simply forgotten about - overgrown in a corner of a scrap yard?

To the average man on the street these boxes are very TARDIS like indeed and you would have thought that the owners would recognise there would be interest in these boxes, although I accept the current price tag would be too high for most buyers. It makes you seriously wonder what else lies out there forgotten and unwanted. Could there be Mk2 boxes? Maybe just maybe the Crich box is not the last of its kind after all!

mordrogyn

Quote from: whitestar2010 on Mar 02, 2010, 03:31 pm
I'd almost forgotten about Ironageman' brilliant signage! A lovely blast from the past.

Having these two Mk3 boxes (thanks for the original tag Pete) suddenly appear out of the blue has really left me scratching my head - I'm frankly amazed that these two have sat unloved somewhere probably since the early seventies. Why have they only now come onto the market, were they simply forgotten about - overgrown in a corner of a scrap yard?

To the average man on the street these boxes are very TARDIS like indeed and you would have thought that the owners would recognise there would be interest in these boxes, although I accept the current price tag would be too high for most buyers. It makes you seriously wonder what else lies out there forgotten and unwanted. Could there be Mk2 boxes? Maybe just maybe the Crich box is not the last of its kind after all!



Appear out of the blue?
TARDIS like indeed...

;D
(http://i50.tinypic.com/20kan9v.jpg)

peted

As a side note - I have all the photos that I gave to the Tardis Library, but without the TL watermark/logo - probably in higher def where some are concerned. Maybe they should be housed/donated here as a ref for all?

whitestar2010

Quote from: pete d on Mar 02, 2010, 08:49 pm
As a side note - I have all the photos that I gave to the Tardis Library, but without the TL watermark/logo - probably in higher def where some are concerned. Maybe they should be housed/donated here as a ref for all?


Would be great to have the original versions somewhere here Pete!

btw do tell me about your avatar pic - which box is that?

peted

It's an old photograph of a box from Leeds. The original photo is black and white, of course, I shopped in the blue. I have it bigger, somewhere. :)

whitestar2010

Quote from: pete d on Mar 03, 2010, 11:37 pm
It's an old photograph of a box from Leeds. The original photo is black and white, of course, I shopped in the blue. I have it bigger, somewhere. :)



I don't want to take this thread too far off topic, but I'd love to see the original larger version Pete - not seen this one before. Infact maybe we should have a dead boxes thread here somewhere.

Anybody near to Kent manage to grab some more images of the two Mk 3's? Pretty please folks.

Scarfwearer

Mar 04, 2010, 01:58 pm #24 Last Edit: Mar 04, 2010, 02:06 pm by Scarfwearer
Quote from: whitestar2010 on Mar 04, 2010, 01:40 pm
Infact maybe we should have a dead boxes thread here somewhere.

Better to have a topic for each box in general - dead or alive - it makes them easier to find.
We can collect the topics for dead boxes together possibly into a sub-board if that seems like a good idea.
For the moment, I've been pinning/stickying topics for boxes that still exist to the top of the board so they're easy to find.

There are a couple of topics for old/dead police box photos already ("old police box pictures", "now and then") but it may make sense to separate them over time if the boxes can be identified.

Crispin

peted

I was up til 2am on a work nite this week, collating all those photos together, I'll pass them on soon. The leeds box:
leeds.jpg

Teppic

Thanks to Google Streetview going live across most of the UK today it is possible to have a look at this reclamation yard from the roadside. From what I can see from the available Streetview pictures the police boxes are not there, and as the pictures are usually about a year out of date, they must have got hold of them pretty recently (by recently I mean within about the last 18 months).

So the question is, where were they before Bygones Reclamation got hold of them?

starcross

Hey Everyone,

More news on the Mark 3s, a fellow I was chatting with on Flickr has gone back and taken a series of photographs around the boxes.

Most Notably the elusive St John's Ambulance badge! A real police used example this time, looks pretty close to the others in the reference thread.

So at 6" diameter and an 1/8" steel plate with a slight bevel at the edge. It is exactly what you would expect to see. I was almost expecting to see, not an enamel sign but, some sort of detailed cast plate. This is much easier to replicate properly though.

Cheers,

~Starcross

the_doctor


whitestar2010

Indeed - wonderful close up pics of box detail - thank you so much for posting the link. Me happy boy now :O)