Apr 20, 2024, 12:14 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

the Key to Time?

Started by willytron, Feb 07, 2008, 03:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

May 02, 2016, 05:27 pm #135 Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 05:36 pm by galacticprobe
You're very welcome, 14th! And for anyone that comes across a dead link that looks like it might have been something really nice, just copy the URL of that link, then Google "Wayback Machine"; it should be the first link in the results. Go to the Wayback Machine page, and paste the dead URL into the search bar and press Enter.

The Wayback Machine will search for its snapshots of that URL and the results will appear as months of the calendar. The days of the months that have a pale blue circle around them are the days that Wayback took snapshots. Just click on them and you should go to how that now-dead URL looked back then. Sometimes if you're looking for images you'll find the images aren't there anymore, but the page will be and you'll just have squares with "?" inside them. But files like PDFs 9 times out of 10 will be there.

I should probably make this as a "sticky" post in the About the Forum section as well, but I'll check with the Mods on that first. (Mods, if you think that's a good idea for helping people with dead links, let me know and I'll copy and paste this info over there for "stickying".)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Dalex

May 28, 2016, 06:22 pm #136 Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 02:58 pm by Dalex
Hey guys,

I just noticed this thread.

If you're looking for accurate plans for the paper cut-outs of the Key to Time, the PDF referenced above is not screen accurate.  I actually revised that PDF when I was working on my Key to Time replica and I have a new one available if anyone is interested.  It's attached to a post I did on the RPF:

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=141203&page=4&p=3274179&viewfull=1#post3274179

(Hopefully it's OK to reference that link, mods feel free to delete it if I'm breaking any rules.)

You're of course welcome to redistribute that PDF anywhere you like -- It probably should be posted somewhere more permanent anyway.

I also have revised versions of Darksyde's excellent Sketchup 3D model available online:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=8d77728f1154e98a5a7a4448bd610d10
https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=7cac29d16b1f48ec5a7a4448bd610d10

One is with tracer holes, the other is without.  I highly recommend installing Sketchup and using these models as a reference if you're planning a Key to Time build.

And of course, if you have any questions feel free to ask!  :)

Cheers,
Alex
Dalex

galacticprobe

May 29, 2016, 05:42 am #137 Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 05:42 am by galacticprobe
Alex, no problems with posting a link to the RPF. Many members here (myself included) are also members there. If you could post your link to your revised PDF here, I'm sure we'd all appreciate it, and thank you for letting us use it.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Dalex

Hi Dino!

The PDF is actually part of my post in the RPF, so that's what the link above references.  The PDF is not currently being hosted anywhere -- Is there a recommended place I should upload it to?  (I assume TardisBuilders doesn't have a file section?)

Thanks,
Alex
Dalex

galacticprobe

May 29, 2016, 09:49 pm #139 Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 09:51 pm by galacticprobe
Alex, you're quite right; we don't have a "Files" section like some places do. (Those files can be rather large, and take up a lot of server space.) We post image files (GIFs and PNGs, which both formats have to be less than 500 kB; JPGs/JPEGs can be larger than 500k, but their "physical" size - pixels per inch - is limited, though I'm not sure what that limit is as some do seem nice and large for details when they're opened in a new tab or window). No other file formats are recognised by the Forum software.

If you've got something like a Dropbox, or maybe even a Deviant Art account, you can post it there. And if you want to protect it like one of our members did with one of their files to allow only TB members access to it, you can password protect it, and then in your profile let people know what that password is as only members can view another member's profile.

I'm sure others might have more ideas for places to post the file, but those two are the ones that immediately spring to mind.

I hope it helps.

Dino.