Feb 25, 2024, 08:21 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Elsie the "Evil" Dalek

Started by chriskingbees, Aug 26, 2007, 03:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kiwidoc

Sep 07, 2007, 05:31 pm #30 Last Edit: Aug 25, 2010, 12:05 pm by scarfwearer
Bargain, plus he's going to be involved in good cuases when he grows (up) - looking forward to updates.   :)

Quote from: chriskingbees board=dalek thread=1188143230 post=1189174763Hi All
Thanks for the K9 feedback.
OK, got to admit K9's shell was bought. He ran on ebay as a three day listing and I was going to bid in the last minute when I "Crashed". Actually, my spectacles case was resting on Esc button and all froze. After an hasty reboot I was surprised to see he didn't get any bids. I contacted the seller and he accepted the starting price of £67 inc. PnP and he was delivered Wednesday. I got a fibre glass splinter whilst unpacking him (Which I've still got despite Carole's best efforts).
As I've said I've got no idea how to proceed. I've got less than .005% of one millionth of absolutely zilch RC knowledge and even less about fibre glass (Except ... Watch for splinters!!! :'()
Any help and advice will be gratefully received!! :)
Just to note, when K9 and Jimbo (Dalek named after potential operator) are up and running , their sole purpose in life will be to help us, Carole, Robert and I to raise monies for the Last Chance Animal Rescue Centre here in Edenbridge. Something we've been doing for several years
With many thanks as always
KB

Scarfwearer

Sep 07, 2007, 05:55 pm #31 Last Edit: Aug 25, 2010, 12:06 pm by scarfwearer
Hi Chris,
I can definitely recommend hanging out on the dalek guilds, both the proboards one (which I was delighted to see you have joined) and also Project Dalek Forum - it's sister site, which has many of the same members and is definitely worth joining even if you are a DBG member.
Daleks are often built using fibreglass so there's lots of info there, both about using it and also safety precautions - you'll want to read that even if you're just sanding it.

Crispin

purpleblancmange

Sep 11, 2007, 04:17 pm #32 Last Edit: Aug 25, 2010, 12:06 pm by scarfwearer
shell1small.jpg

I recognise that dog, it's a very nice piece of recasting that - it's a TPE.  One thing I would recommend is that you sharpen the pointy end of the gun cover on the snout (towards the eye end) with filler... I never quite got it right as I just used the end of an old broom handle and did it in a bit of a rush.

I can't take credit for the recessed area around the lid section, TPE did that after I sent them the wooden master plug.  Pity they did it on the top of the head, rather than the side, but oh well, that could easily be fixed.

Give a shout if you need any tips.

Nice Dalek eye too.

chriskingbees

Sep 17, 2007, 04:36 pm #33 Last Edit: Aug 25, 2010, 12:07 pm by scarfwearer
Hi All
First up, many thanks to Crispin and Purple for their comments. I know I'll be coming back for help, probably many times.
Purple's original mould for TPE! It seems my dog has one heluva pedigree.
I gave in on this;

domerings1.jpg

A very nice gentleman made these for me. The dome is fibreglass and the rings are mdf and there the buying ends. Everything else, within reason, will be built. Obviously I'll buy lights and balls and things but nothing "Dalek".
OK, apart from the odd picture of progress here, I'll be running the thread over on DBG where it really belongs. Not that I'm deserting, "Oh no no no no no" to quote Churchill (Nodding dog, not wartime PM LOL)
Wish me luck
Many thanks
KB

Rassilons Rod

Sep 18, 2007, 02:56 pm #34 Last Edit: Aug 25, 2010, 12:07 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: chriskingbees board=dalek thread=1188143230 post=1190046970
domerings1.jpg

Werry naice... :D
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

chriskingbees

May 28, 2008, 01:46 pm #35 Last Edit: Aug 25, 2010, 12:08 pm by scarfwearer
Hi All
Thought you might like an update;

Built this for the inside of the dome, Carole has christened this the microwave turntable;

microwaveturntable.jpg

It actually works too!

I've added the hub to the eyestalk;

completeeye.jpg

And yesterday and today I've built this;

LCNeckCage.jpg

Cutting the trefoil holes in the rings was tricky, but overall I'm quite pleased with it. A member here (Anotherwheeze)  has promised me a large tin of car body filler for next week. I'll start filling the gaps, etc. then
Many thanks
KB

willytron

May 28, 2008, 03:16 pm #36 Last Edit: Aug 25, 2010, 12:08 pm by scarfwearer
That's simply brilliant. 

purpleblancmange

May 29, 2008, 08:26 am #37 Last Edit: Aug 25, 2010, 12:08 pm by scarfwearer
Gosh, I wish I had the enthusiasm to get on with my build - your's looks like it's coming along very nicely in deed.  As always, just take your time, study the plans and manuals, and do it as a bit of fun, rather than a chore... the latter is where I'm at - and is why nothing is happening with it.  What happened with your K9?

Anyway, keep up the great work.

chriskingbees

May 29, 2008, 07:59 pm #38 Last Edit: Aug 25, 2010, 12:09 pm by scarfwearer
Thank you gentlemen
A lot went on under the dome today and vertical eye movement now works.
A little posed pic of assembled parts

CopyofAssembledBonce.jpg

KB

Purple, K9 will sit on the back boiler, or at least in the shed next door, for now. Mrs KB will tell you "Men can't muti-task" ;D

atomicgraph

May 29, 2008, 08:10 pm #39 Last Edit: Aug 25, 2010, 12:09 pm by scarfwearer
wow your dalek is moving right along looks great. have you decided on the color  for it yet?  good luck :)

chriskingbees

May 29, 2008, 08:24 pm #40 Last Edit: Aug 25, 2010, 12:09 pm by scarfwearer
Hi Emil
The plan is for the Dalek to be silver with light blue hemis, and a black dome as in "Evil of the Daleks". However, if I can't achieve any kind of finish, it will be battle-scarred "Genesis" grey LOL
Thanks
KB

willytron

May 29, 2008, 08:44 pm #41 Last Edit: Aug 25, 2010, 12:09 pm by scarfwearer
Well, KB's eye is looking splendid, but how are KB's ears doing?

chriskingbees

May 29, 2008, 09:00 pm #42 Last Edit: Aug 25, 2010, 12:09 pm by scarfwearer
Pardon?

willytron

May 29, 2008, 09:08 pm #43 Last Edit: Aug 25, 2010, 12:10 pm by scarfwearer
I'm sorry, I must have confused you with another member.  Someone was having work done or getting new hearing aids.

sorry for the confusion :P

For some reason I thought it was you, but I may have imagined the whole thing.

chriskingbees

May 30, 2008, 01:35 pm #44 Last Edit: Aug 25, 2010, 12:10 pm by scarfwearer
Willy, Willy, Willy
It is me! It's a standard gag that when someone asks a deaf person about their ears, they reply with pardon?, or what was that? or something like that. If you look back over my threads on here you'll see I always go for silly jokes ;D. It helps to keep me sane.
Anyway, thanks very much for asking. I've had grommets inserted for over a week now, and to be honest, it's made no difference. The hearing-aid upgrade is June 23rd so let's hope it makes a difference. The deafness makes communication quite difficult at times, but at least I can "Talk" to all my friends on here, and that's very important to me.
Again thanks
KB