Apr 19, 2024, 01:17 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Scarfwearer's Baker-era Sonic Screwdriver

Started by Scarfwearer, Sep 09, 2009, 11:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

Sep 30, 2018, 05:27 am #15 Last Edit: Sep 30, 2018, 05:31 am by galacticprobe
Well, speaking from the outside looking in, we've never put a "you must build exact replicas" clause in the membership. We've had loads of custom sonic screwdriver builds on here. And with CO coming out with their "Personalize Your Sonic Screwdriver" and "Transtemporal Sonic Screwdriver" kits, people have been mixing and matching, and using those kits and other items for inspiration to create their own designs. Some even based their designs on the "Dark Eyes" 8th Doctor audio adventures that Big Finish put out, and that sonic is a huge departure to anything we'd seen up to the current version (which we're about to see... in roughly a week!).

So if you've got an idea for your own design, go ahead and build it. If you see some ideas and build methods in someone's diary that can help you build yours, use them. It's what we're all about: sharing ideas for the common goal of building 'Doctor Who' prop replicas, even custom ones.

I hope some of this was helpful (and I hope Crispin doesn't mind me throwing my 2p in).

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

russellsuthern

Sep 30, 2018, 06:12 am #16 Last Edit: Sep 30, 2018, 06:17 am by russellsuthern
That is an amazing looking sonic.

As we all know, the classic design of Tom's screwdriver just can't be beat!   ;)

And Dino has hit the nail on the head. Whereas some other sites can be a bit anal about accuracy, TB is always totally supportive of everyone's builds, irrespective of how accurate or custom they are.
(Which is a good job really, or I'd have been run outta town before dawn!!)

Cheers,

Russell

Scarfwearer

As has been said: producing props that are indistinguishable from those on screen is of interest to some of us, but not an urgent goal for everyone. We're inspired by Doctor Who and we have fun building the props, so we try not to be too single-minded about it. There are lots of custom sonics here, as well as varying approximations of what was on screen. It's all good, and no-one gets judged.

Cardinal Hordriss

I hadn't seen this thread before. Great build Scarfwearer but then I'd expect nothing less.

As to sonics most members will know that I build them fairly frequently and not one has been a replica of a prop seen on screen. I'm working on one now that will look quite lightsaber-esque, but smaller, after a friend gave me a load of metal sonic parts.
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

elkad