News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Justin's K-9

Started by Primrodo, Jan 14, 2008, 05:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Primrodo

Jan 14, 2008, 05:07 am Last Edit: Nov 29, 2010, 01:56 pm by Scarfwearer
Hey guys...

Well I have to jump on the band wagon here!

I had the oppurtunity to buy a buddies almost complete made K-9...lots of work yet but its looking like it will be fun! I will have a few questions and hopefully figure it all out!

IMG_9499.jpg

IMG_9501.jpg

IMG_9502.jpg

IMG_9503.jpg

karsthotep

Jan 15, 2008, 05:03 pm #1 Last Edit: Jan 26, 2010, 11:03 pm by scarfwearer
Hmmmm...good points by Purple.  Hey Justin, can you PM me, do you know if there are any kits left? 

Karsten
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

purpleblancmange

Jan 14, 2008, 10:40 am #2 Last Edit: Jul 02, 2010, 10:09 pm by scarfwearer
Nice looking start to a tidy build there.  This is one of those kits right?  Offered on the Prop Builders Club, if I recall.

If you need any pointers, I'd beA happy to help if I can.  Two things that strike me right now is the neck hole and the plastic itself.

It would pay you to blank off the hole (as it's too small and too high up) and cut a new one about an inch lower down, it shouldn't take too much to achieve.  The other thing, what's it made from?  It looks like styrene - if it is, what are your long term plans for this prop?  As you may know, styrene has a limited shelf life before it becomes really very brittle and begins to degrade.  With luck, I'm wrong and it's made from something more long lasting like acrylic.

Anyway, keep us all posted on how you progress.

Primrodo

Jan 14, 2008, 10:42 pm #3 Last Edit: Jul 02, 2010, 10:10 pm by scarfwearer
Hey Purple!

Yes and No...its actually the prototype...I got it for a steal really :)

I had not realised the hole was too high, I hope thats easy to fix..I do not have the hole used so I may have to bondo it? I have not figured how to attach the head to body yet either...there is where I am at pretty much, the rest I have to come up with :)

It IS Styrene, but I am looking into fibreglassing him, or the least expanding foam inside....I would hope there is one way to make stryene last longer!

Any help and pointers would be great! I have not looked too much into him before, but I could not pass up the deal!

karsthotep

Jan 14, 2008, 11:25 pm #4 Last Edit: Jul 02, 2010, 10:10 pm by scarfwearer
Hey justin is that one of the flat pack K-9's?  How accurate is that to the real prop?  Would it take much to accurize it if it was off? 

Karst
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

Primrodo

Jan 15, 2008, 04:09 am #5 Last Edit: Jul 02, 2010, 10:10 pm by scarfwearer
You know, I have no idea. My buddy was doing a kit...so maybe?

Taking a look at some peices, mine is off in a few areas, though I will need some K-9 experts for some ideas, perhaps Dale or Purple can point out any major flaws? I woudl appreciate it for myself.

Off the top, the laser hole on mine is round and not square, and the nose looks SLIGHTLY off. Otherwise I am not sure!

purpleblancmange

Jan 15, 2008, 09:15 am #6 Last Edit: Jul 02, 2010, 10:10 pm by scarfwearer
Hi Justin,

The shape of the dog looks pretty good, in fact I thought the chap who did the kit used Lespaceplie's plans - which were a kind of sanitised version of the real deal.  By this I mean he's gone for a perfect look, whereas the actual prop is very ropey to the point that I don't think that there is a true straight line on him.

From the few pictures that I've seen of what you have, the only thing that I'd alter would be the area around the gun.  Firstly cut the semi circular hole into a square (or rectangle, depending on which era).  Styrene is the easiest thing to cut if you have a sharp blade... this will take you less than a minute to do.  Also, get rid of the tubular snout cover.  It being rolled styrene just doesn't work.  Buy yourself a plastic tube of the same diameter and trim that to fit - it'll just look tidier.

As for mounting the head, I guess this will depend on how heavy the head will end up being.  If you're just going to paint the dog and have it look pretty, it'll be fairly straight forward, but if you plan to have the whole thing motorised and lit, that'll add weight and may make the head too heavy to mount to the body without it distorting it.

If it were me, I'd mount the dog onto a ply base board and have an internal framework that would support the neck and head with the weight counter balanced off the base, rather than the body work.  I'm not too sure how you could fibre glass the styrene joins without potentially damaging the project - get the mix a bit on the warm side and watch the styrene buckle and dissolve, do the mix too cool and it'll take ages to set.  I'll have a think and see if I can come up with something.

I think I've waffled on long enough now.