Apr 27, 2024, 08:58 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Console question for the experts

Started by 13drwho, Dec 28, 2023, 06:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

13drwho

So I have a question for the TARDIS Console experts. Particularly, those versed in the consoles from the original 26 seasons. I found two broken switches on my console. I went out and bought replacements that match the existing switches (so the bank of switches match).

It occurred to me after I bought them that the Doctor would not bother matching the switches. He'd go to his junk box and replace them with whatever he grabbed (as long as it's compatible). I think it would be more in world to pick switches that DON'T match. The BBC definitely didn't bother to match stuff when they patched the console.

The obsessive compulsive in me wants to match the switches, but maybe I should pick one out of my box of left over switches.

What do you think match or mismatch? Would love your opinions!!!

davidnagel

I would match personally!
Regards
David

Volpone

Well, you could "method act" it and do what The Doctor (and the BBC props department) would do:  Jury rig a repair "for the time being" until you could get the right switch.  If you like the look of it you could just never get around to the proper repair--much like The Doctor or the BBC props department would probably do.  But if you don't like it, you could repair it properly.  That's what I'd likely do. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

13drwho

Thank you for the replies.

I am leaning towards putting in the matching switches. I am an electronic technician by trade, and it just feels wrong to intentionally not use the right part when it's available and in hand.