Jun 25, 2024, 11:48 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Gatwa Sonic SPOILERS

Started by Cardinal Hordriss, Dec 10, 2023, 01:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Kingpin

Dec 14, 2023, 11:30 am #30 Last Edit: Dec 14, 2023, 11:33 am by Kingpin
Telephones may have more functionality, but they still achieve their basic function: to communicate with other people.

The 2023/4 Sonic may have additional functions, but it'll still be doing the old ones: unlocking doors and so on.

Plus, the functionality had already been expanded by the 1970s.  When it first appeared in Troughton's era it was actually used to remove some screws from an object... Yet by Pertwee's time he was using it to detonate mines.  BY 1972, and possibly even before that it was no-longer merely a "screwdriver".

There may've been a bit of an assumption early-on, but it wasn't an unreasonable guess that it was the Sonic... Which subsequently turned out to be a correct assumption as this video categorically states it's the new Sonic Screwdriver, with dialogue by Ncuti as the Doctor and in the video description by the 'Who social media team:

Vale

Yeah we know, I already linked to that video on the first page of this thread...

Volpone

OK, everyone calm down.  Again, the purpose of this board is to objectively discuss Dr. Who props from the perspective of prop-making.  Personal opinions about production choices belong somewhere like Outpost Gallifrey.  (Is Outpost Gallifrey even a thing anymore?) 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

Vale

Quote from: Volpone on Dec 14, 2023, 03:55 pm(Is Outpost Gallifrey even a thing anymore?)

Not since 2009. Its spiritual successor, Gallifrey Base, is very much alive and kicking, despite Ian Levine's near-weekly threats to sue them into oblivion for some perceived slight or other.

Cardinal Hordriss

Phone are a good analogy. Despite what theyve become we still call it a phone. We've even dropped the "smart" bit for the most part.

The sonic hasn't been just a screwdriver since Fury from the Deep - when I would remind you it looked like a life vest whistle. By The Dominators it was being used to burn through concrete.

Bear in mind also that it isn't a screwdriver - that's just what the Doctor calls his. It's a sonic probe. It could look like anything. I think in a Doctor Who magazine the Doctor explains that Earth tech is level 5 and the sonic is level 5000.

Personally I don't think it's ever looked like a screwdriver. First a whistle then a penlight then something akin to one of those things doctors look into your ear with. None of the modern Doctors' sonics has looked like a screwdriver.
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

cobalt

It's supposed to be a screwdriver, but futuristic.

What they've presented there is basically an off-brand tricorder that kind of resembles an mp3 player from the 90s with paint slapped on to cover the brand name. I agree, it feels sort of lazy design-wise.

It's too generic to be iconic. Visually, it doesn't do the job.

They should have made it tool-like, the way the classic one was.

TG

I really like it. I think it would be quite difficult to build so I'll be waiting for the CO version (or Disney).

Cardinal Hordriss

Quote from: TG on Dec 18, 2023, 10:33 amI really like it. I think it would be quite difficult to build so I'll be waiting for the CO version (or Disney).

Well apparently all you need to do is spray paint a remote control as there is nothing at all unique about the design...

Sarcasm over lol.
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

dhi_holo

Apologies for the meh image quality, it's a photo of my screen because Disney+ doesn't like people taking reference photos, but something I noticed in The Devil's Chord is 15 already has a new screwdriver to the promotional materials and TCoRR/Space Babies, technically.
TDC Sonic.jpg
It's just a different metal/paintjob, switching the rich blues to a red, which I think looks pretty neat. Having thought on it over the couple days since airing, I think I do still prefer the blue, but the fact we're getting a red one too, I just wonder how many more he's gonna get before regenerating, or even before the season ends xD

ciderman

Apparently the old sonics resembled guns too much so now it looks like a shoe!

Cardinal Hordriss

There may be several colour variants Judging by this bit of concept art.

1000013675.jpg

dhi_holo

Something I fully noticed today, the sonic seems to change colour based on the era of the story.
Church on Ruby Road, Space Babies, and (the brief appearance of it in) Dot and Bubble, they're all the Blue one from the original marketing.
The Devil's Chord, as I posted earlier, as well as Rogue, both use the reddish one.

One present and two future used blue, two past used red, it's lined up.

Angelus Lupus

Between a colour-changing sonic and an ever-changing costume, they haven't made it easy for the cosplayers!  ;D
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.