For the Panels and the Doors, does the plywood have to go up to the top?

Started by GAZAMCG, Nov 12, 2023, 06:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GAZAMCG

On some of the plans, I see that the plywood backing for the doors/panels stops below the windows, whereas on others the window holes are cut out of a bigger sheet of plywood that covers all the doors/panels.

I'm trying to avoid working with huge sheets of plywood, so stopping at the windows sounds good.

Is one way better than the other?

Thanks

alextheyellowthing

Quote from: GAZAMCG on Nov 12, 2023, 06:29 pmIs one way better than the other?

Thanks

As far as I'm aware, the main difference is a bit of rigidity and tidiness.
 With fully back panneled pannels, you'll have have better Idea of how to place your panel divider, will have full flat planels on the inside with wierd gaps and bumps, and won't be facing warping to much.

The other option has an economy of wood as well as smaller bits of wood to handle. You can work around the windows and all. But you'll have to be careful on how straight you're building and avoiding humidity and all. The frame should be strong enough to erect properly, but maybe think about more reinforcement on the inside.

I'll Let other comment on that, especially people that built full size tardies.

Volpone

Not really much else to add.  It makes rational sense to not use full-sized sheets and cut windows in them.  For that matter, making actual panels makes sense too.  But it sure is a lot simpler to just screw 4 sheets of plywood together* and then cut 8 windows in them. 

*Of course I'm grossly simplifying the process, you probably aren't actually screwing the walls to each other but it's so much easier to have the shape there to add the details to instead of having to build the top 1/3 of the box without a reference point.
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.