New, New TardisBuilders!

TARDIS Observatory (Mk 2)

Started by alistair, Jul 26, 2023, 12:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

alistair

Here's a link to a 17 second timelapse of the assembly process

https://photos.app.goo.gl/v2q9g6oCpyU2s9FK7

alistair

Quote from: Volpone on Oct 23, 2023, 04:52 amThat is the most "Logopolis" build photo I've seen on this site. :)

How do you mean?

I vaguely remember the story as it was the last of 'my' Doctor's. Is mine in its current form particularly close to Tom Baker's?

Volpone

The TARDIS, materializing next to a police box, so The Doctor can take measurements in order to fix his chameleon circuit; seeing the 2 TARDISes, parked next to each other reminds me of the materialization scene from "Logopolis." 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

alistair

Quote from: Volpone on Oct 26, 2023, 05:27 pmThe TARDIS, materializing next to a police box, so The Doctor can take measurements in order to fix his chameleon circuit; seeing the 2 TARDISes, parked next to each other reminds me of the materialization scene from "Logopolis." 

Oh of course! I was even skimming through the wiki page on it and looking at shots of 2 Tardis's next to each other and still didn't twig what you were talking about.

Unfortunately, they won't both be complete at the same time as I'll be using a few bits of the old one.

alistair

Haven't posted an update for a while and I should have taken more photos as I was making the window frames. Anyway, here they are completed and waiting to go in.

I found that my 'new' table saw was the best thing for cutting the slots to fit them together, then the cobbled together router table to clean them up since the router was having trouble cutting the slots by itself.

20231229_140704.jpg

alistair

And this weekend I've been working on the roof. Here is the first step, I just need to screw and glue the last edge. I've yet to figure out completely how I'm going to do the rest of the roof but once it's done I'm going to fiberglass it like I did with the previous TARDIS, the roof of that one is standing up quite well, unlike the rest of it!

20240114_165747.jpg

Volpone

That window frame picture really highlights why it is so easy to underestimate the cost and work involved in building a TARDIS.  Because you only ever think of 1, maybe 2 sides of the thing, but there's a whole lot of material and repetition entailed. 

You look at that picture and go, "man, that's a lot of windows."  But then you think about it and go, "no, that's what you need." 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

WonderWheeler

Quote from: Volpone on Jan 15, 2024, 02:20 amThat window frame picture really highlights why it is so easy to underestimate the cost and work involved in building a TARDIS.  Because you only ever think of 1, maybe 2 sides of the thing, but there's a whole lot of material and repetition ...

That's why I think my crazy idea of making a wooden concrete mold of one side makes sense. Haven't started yet, but the idea is to make one wall with eave mold carefully, then make it in concrete 4 times, once with a door separated into a separate piece with hinges. Complete with careful window frames in reinforced concrete. "Knock on wood..."

alistair

Quote from: WonderWheeler on Jan 16, 2024, 11:14 amThat's why I think my crazy idea of making a wooden concrete mold of one side makes sense. Haven't started yet, but the idea is to make one wall with eave mold carefully, then make it in concrete 4 times, once with a door separated into a separate piece with hinges. Complete with careful window frames in reinforced concrete. "Knock on wood..."

You could make a mold of just 1/2 of one side, then make 8 of them and attach the middle strip to hid the join. Then the door is exactly the same. That's what I've done in wood with pocket holes.

Volpone

Let's not sidetrack this thread too far, folks. :)
-The Doctor.

alistair

The roof is taking shape I was going to use thin (9mm) plywood to cover it and then fiberglass on top.

I'm wondering whether I should use woven roving or chipped strand. Woven roving would be easiest on the big flat sections but trickier to cover the corners and pillar tops. It's what I used on the old one and it seems to have worked: the roof is holding up quite well. Chopped strand might be easier around those fiddly areas but it comes apart a lot easier and is harder to keep flat and even. Or do I even nee fiberglass at all: would just painting on resin do the job? I'm thinking probably not.

The other issue is the gap between the roof and the sign boxes. I need something thin, a couple of inches wide and about 1.2 meters long. Any ideas?

20240225_115818.jpg

Volpone

I had some of the...chipped strand? laying around forever, so I used it to fashion transitions from the front fender flares to the air dam on my A-Team van.  I hated working with it so much that I tried the cloth when I did the roof on the TARDIS.  I was generally happy with it but yeah, when it gets to the steps in the roof it starts to look like a kindergarten pottery project.  Luckily I'm going for the old beat-up TARDIS looks so it mostly works.  Might have to try the other stuff again, now that I've got a little more experience, if/when I get around to glassing more of my box's exterior.  (To be honest, the bodywork on the A-Team van also looked like a kindergarten pottery project, so six to one, half dozen to the other.) 
-The Doctor.