May 01, 2024, 09:53 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

TARDIS Observatory flip-top roof?

Started by chris_todd, Apr 03, 2024, 12:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

chris_todd

I actually joined here like 10 years ago (https://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=5672.msg67414) to pose some questions regarding using a Tardis as a storage shed for a telescope. It's been a while, but I'm back at it, having acquired additional funds, free time, and motivation. :-)

Alistair recently posted updates about his Observatory Mk2. His basic design is what is called a roll-away observatory, where you open the doors and push the box away to reveal the telescope. These are great for small setups, and there are numerous examples on the web of amateur astronomers that have built them.

An alternative design choice is called a roll-off roof observatory, where the tracks are elevated on pillars, and only the roof moves. These are more common among amateur observatories that need to be larger, say 15' wide or more.

Finally, there are the classic observatory domes that everyone usually thinks of, which are usually some variety of fiberglass, with either a clamshell design, or a "shutter" that rotates up and out of the way.

My requirements prevent me from using any of these designs, because I just don't have the space, and I don't want a dome (I don't want probing questions from nosy neighbors). So what I'm thinking about is basically a full-size Tardis whose roof flips open on a piano hinge attached to the North-facing side of the box. I'll need to decide whether to eliminate the Lamp, or find some way to accommodate it, because I'm imagining the roof (when fully opened) leaning against the North wall.

Of course, I thought it would be cool to have the four panels of the roof fold out separately, but I have concerns about how to make that design weatherproof. It just feels like that many seams that need to seal properly is going to be way too challenging.

So I humbly submit my ideas for your suggestions, commentary, and advice. Any and all help you can provide would be much appreciated!

Clear skies,
Chris Todd

P.S. And of course, I'll need to set up the flip-top roof so that it makes the Tardis sound as it opens... Because really, why wouldn't you??
I don't have hobbies, I have obsessions...

alistair

You'll need to very carefully model that opening mechanism: I can see the south wall clobbering the scope on its way over. Or if the hinge is high enough that that doesn't happen, there may not be space for the scope to have its full range of movement.

You may need to have a combination of the two approaches: The top 3rd hinges from the bottom of the windows on the north side. Then another 3rd of the south, east and west flap down.

You can always put a cover over the scope to give it a little more protection.