Apr 20, 2024, 04:09 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

CYBERSCOPE (Earthshock)

Started by jaguwa68, Dec 13, 2022, 04:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Volpone

It's interesting, what a game-changer 3D printing is to prop building (that and the photo-realistic virtual builds); stuff that wasn't even available to big companies not so long ago.  A lot of the classic props were (or included) found objects--but without your own time machine you can't exactly pick up a 1960s salad strainer or a 1970s candy box or whatever--so we have people making incredible builds with cardboard and resin and such.  And now 3D printing.  A very neat build and I may have to link to it for a non TARDIS Builders friend who recently got into Dr. Who--and into 3D printing. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

Cardinal Hordriss

I can't believe how quickly this is coming together. Are you Father Christmas or something?
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

jaguwa68

Thanks. It's turning into a far bigger job than I first expected, and I've run into a problem matching up the three console segments. They aren't slotting together as perfectly as I'd hoped, as I think I haven't built in enough tolerance. Think it was a bit ambitious expecting to match angles and lengths, so I need to spend some time reworking. Ah well, all part of the fun!

jaguwa68

Quote from: Cardinal Hordriss on Dec 29, 2022, 05:11 pmI can't believe how quickly this is coming together. Are you Father Christmas or something?

Haha. Sadly no. I have been working on it for the best part of this year on CAD, but only started building a couple of months ago, and this thread even later. Sorry, got so engrossed in the design that I kept forgetting to start a post! :/

jaguwa68

Now that one set of probe parts are printed off, I made the first copper core yesterday and bonded the first set together. I used body filler to pack out the grid structure, and ultra strong 2 part epoxy for bonding the two halves together.20221230_061425.jpg20221230_061245.jpg20221230_061313 (1).jpg20221230_061237.jpg

russellsuthern

Excellent!
Enough to make even an emotionless cyberman smile!
Can I ask about your k9?
Built or bought?
He looks great and I do like a good k9...

Regards
Russell

jaguwa68

Quote from: russellsuthern on Dec 30, 2022, 11:23 amExcellent!
Enough to make even an emotionless cyberman smile!
Can I ask about your k9?
Built or bought?
He looks great and I do like a good k9...

Regards
Russell

Thanks Russell. My K-9 is getting on a bit now. I built him back in 2007 which makes him almost 16 years old, but I didn't create a diary post on here until 4 years later. This is him:- https://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=2711.msg33849#msg33849 (JG's Tin Dog)

russellsuthern

I remember that one now!
That was one of the build diaries I used to inform and inspire myself when I set out to make my own K9.
It's a fantastic build!

Regards.

Russell

13drwho

You're moving through this project quite fast. You already got all the main structure... THAT WAS FAST!! It's looking great. So jealous!!

jaguwa68

Good progress today with the probe. I have the second bonded, clamped and curing at the moment, and the first is now glued to the base parts. I've also trial fitted all the parts together, including the ray tube and laser tips. The red tip itself is the sawn off end of a uniball Signo gelstick pen (UM-170).20230201_Probe Trial Fit_1.jpg20230201_Probe Trial Fit_2.jpg

ciderman

Quote from: jaguwa68 on Jan 02, 2023, 05:11 pmGood progress today with the probe. I have the second bonded, clamped and curing at the moment, and the first is now glued to the base parts. I've also trial fitted all the parts together, including the ray tube and laser tips. The red tip itself is the sawn off end of a uniball Signo gelstick pen (UM-170).20230201_Probe Trial Fit_1.jpg20230201_Probe Trial Fit_2.jpg
Looks fantastic. This is a real joy to watch. Will you use flourescent tubes in the emmiters?

jaguwa68

Quote from: ciderman on Jan 02, 2023, 08:27 pm
Quote from: jaguwa68 on Jan 02, 2023, 05:11 pmGood progress today with the probe. I have the second bonded, clamped and curing at the moment, and the first is now glued to the base parts. I've also trial fitted all the parts together, including the ray tube and laser tips. The red tip itself is the sawn off end of a uniball Signo gelstick pen (UM-170).20230201_Probe Trial Fit_1.jpg20230201_Probe Trial Fit_2.jpg
Looks fantastic. This is a real joy to watch. Will you use flourescent tubes in the emmiters?

No, I've got some falling meteor effect lights I plan to use so that I get that downward pulsing effect. The ambition is also to use a piece of angled muslin in the centre and use a projector to try and get some sort of holographic image of the Doctor's Cyber encounters on repeat spool, but not sure if that will work. Might be a bit ambitious.

ciderman

Maybe a mist effect with images projected like on Jodies console?

13drwho

Put a rear projector in the center facing up. Then put some kind of screen in the center at 45 degrees. It's basically the way a heads up display in a fighter jet works.

jaguwa68

Quote from: 13drwho on Jan 03, 2023, 03:42 amPut a rear projector in the center facing up. Then put some kind of screen in the center at 45 degrees. It's basically the way a heads up display in a fighter jet works.

Yep, that's the plan. I've got a HUD in my car too, which kind of inspired it. I've also seen there are some cool halloween decs that project on to sheets of muslin to get that transparent ghost look. It will certainly be fun experimenting!