Apr 28, 2024, 03:38 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Attempts at 3d modelling TARDISes

Started by Doctorus Prime, Oct 30, 2022, 04:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Doctorus Prime

Quote from: Berenvonbaggins on May 02, 2023, 12:43 pmLooking great! Geometry looks very easy to understand. That lamp is looking a bit small, however. Perhaps scaling it up would help?
5F1B3046-6BBF-4CA2-9852-06AABC46B0EE.jpeg
6A0F7257-0C5E-4835-9637-9B9548FDF515.jpeg

Hello! Many thanks for sending me those reference images and for your feedback! I managed to re-model the lamp as I wasn't too happy with it as well and here's what that looks like!

untitled11.png

And I've here's the full workbench render of the whole box with the new lamp!

untitled12.png

Doctorus Prime

I've started the texturing process from yesterday (Tuesday) morning, I used Substance Painter to texture my models and I was playing around with the textures, trying to get them accurately as I could. This was quite a frustrating experience however, as I wasn't able to get the wood grain right, this was mainly due to the fact I kept on using the wrong wood grain textures...

I've searched almost everywhere to find a similar looking wood grain texture and applying those textures into my model but they were inaccurate. 😢

However, I did what I could and I've exported the textures in Substance Painter, and brought them over to Blender and did 2 texture render tests; one featuring the windows fully lit using an emission texture, and the other render featuring the black windows with the grey pebbled windows, the pebbled effect was done using a normal map. 

I am a little disappointed that the wood textures didn't turn out so well however, this is far from finished so I'll still be working on the textures for the next few days! 😃

I used an HDRI so the lighting may be a little wacky...

(apologies if I do come across a bit strong or aggressive here, I'm so tired after a long day of texturing.. 😅)

untitled13.jpg

untitled14.jpg

Doctorus Prime

May 24, 2023, 03:29 pm #32 Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 04:08 pm by Doctorus Prime
Hello all! It's been a while since I last posted, I've been busy working on Box D, and I'm happy to say that Box D is finished!!

Here are the finished renders! (I've had to compress the images down a bit to match the forum's file size limt so, the renders may be a little pixelated)

11th Doctor Box D Studio Final DP.png

11th Doctor Box D TARDIS v2 DP.jpg

Let me know what you guys think!

Doctorus Prime

I just realised that the colours are a little off on the second render, 'not sure how that happened. I tried to fix it but, unfortunately...no luck.

I've posted an imgur link instead to view the renders in full resolution:

https://imgur.com/a/gBA28Q6

Doctorus Prime

Hi all, it has been a while since i last posted here, I took a break from 3d modelling TARDISes but I've gotten back to it a couple of days ago.

I'm currently re-modelling my Arwel Wyn Jones Box, because looking back at my previous one, I know I can do better in both the modelling and texturing. I'm going to do my best in improving it from my last one and hoping I get the textures more accurate this time round.

Here's what it looks like so far; I need to work on the windows and the lamp.

untitled(2).jpg

Doctorus Prime

Hey all, I hope you're doing well, I've been plugging away at the AWJ TARDIS Box over the past few days.

I was wondering if I could get some critique/feedback on how the lamp looks so far? I want to get it as accurate as possible

Thanks
tardis screenshot.png

alexcutler

Quote from: Volpone on Jan 11, 2023, 11:10 pmThe dimensions look really good.  Colors too.  And all the little details.  I originally based my box on this prop, but couldn't bring myself to put the lock on the "wrong" side, among other things.  I actually like it better without the woodgrain, personally.  I don't really remember visible woodgrain on the original prop.  Varying degrees of texturing but no actual grain.  Just my 2 cents.

It's a good point you make - it is clear from original wooden-prototype Police Boxes, that the grain wasn't visible through the paint layers either.  I do think it is a pity that the production teams (since 2005) have become so obsessed with championing the wood-grain through the paint, it is an artifice that just seems pretentious and unnecessary.

Digital Hobbyist

That's very awesome work you have there. The textures are perfect.
"You know how it is; you put things off for a day and next thing you know, it's a hundred years later." - The Fifth Doctor, 'Arc of Infinity'

Doctorus Prime

Haven't been in this forum for a while, 'just saw this today! Thank you! 😁 @Digital Hobbyist