Apr 19, 2024, 12:09 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Dalek Trooper Weapon Build

Started by elkad, Sep 09, 2022, 04:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

elkad

Reference:https://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=7302.0

I haven't gotten much time to do any projects these days.

I'm in the possess of making a Dalek Trooper Weapon.
Starting off with a 4" PVC for the handle, using a poster board ribbon as a stencil & mark off my cuts.

Dalek Trooper Weapon (1).jpgDalek Trooper Weapon (2).jpgDalek Trooper Weapon (3).jpg

Using a duct tape 3/8" white PVC & a 1/2" conduit for the barrels.

Dalek Trooper Weapon (4).jpgDalek Trooper Weapon (5).jpgDalek Trooper Weapon (6).jpg

I'm using 1/2" screw on pipe connectors that seam to slip on very easy to the 3/8 pipe as the bottom part of the gun barrels that attach to the handle.

Dalek Trooper Weapon (8).jpgDalek Trooper Weapon (9).jpg

I know the bottom parts of the gun barrels were glued together to the handle, but, I don't know specifically how they attached it, so I'm going with sanded tips &, sort of, bolted, by the pipe connectors.

Dalek Trooper Weapon (10).jpg

I used a 4" coupler for the cap, manly a 4" cap was out of my budget price range. (Those cap things are expensive.) Stenciled it with another cardboard ribbon & cut it.

Dalek Trooper Weapon (11).jpgDalek Trooper Weapon (12).jpgDalek Trooper Weapon (13).jpg

Cutting cap plates for the coupler peace, gluing & holding in a vice till it dry's.

Dalek Trooper Weapon (15).jpgDalek Trooper Weapon (16).jpg

I'm using a cardboard box to measure out how far apart my holes should be to mount the barrel conduits.

Dalek Trooper Weapon (14).jpg

elkad

Using a 4 1/2" stencil to mark out the drilled barrel & screw holes of the cap.

Dalek Trooper Weapon (17).jpgDalek Trooper Weapon (18).jpgDalek Trooper Weapon (19).jpg

4" Poplar dowel for the trigger handle inside the handle tube part.

Dalek Trooper Weapon (20).jpgDalek Trooper Weapon (21).jpg

#10 x 1/2" Zinc screws to mount the trigger handle

Dalek Trooper Weapon (22).jpgDalek Trooper Weapon (23).jpg

Drill a 1/2" hole for push button.

Dalek Trooper Weapon (24).jpgDalek Trooper Weapon (25).jpg

I'm using 1/4" threaded rod & nuts to strengthen the stability of the barrel. Honestly I don't know if the emitter is going to be heavy or light, so I'm hedging my bet & strengthening it now.

Dalek Trooper Weapon (27).jpgDalek Trooper Weapon (26).jpg

elkad

I experimenting on what to use that's light, strong, or what looks best. Cardboard paper mache, wood filler, (I haven't got the PVC rings yet), & trying to figure out how to make the lit emitter tip. I also need to get another type of wood, I tried drilling a ring but it kept jamming almost ripping my hand away from the drill.
The scraping tool is a modified tool to be used as a lathe rounding tool. (That's alot of tool for 1 tool.)

Dalek Trooper Weapon (28).jpgDalek Trooper Weapon (29).jpgDalek Trooper Weapon (30).jpgDalek Trooper Weapon (31).jpgDalek Trooper Weapon (32).jpgDalek Trooper Weapon (33).jpgDalek Trooper Weapon (34).jpgDalek Trooper Weapon (35).jpgDalek Trooper Weapon (36).jpg

elkad

Nov 01, 2022, 06:31 pm #3 Last Edit: Nov 01, 2022, 06:36 pm by elkad
I've bin very desperate lately & haven't bin able to update this project form. Sorry for the wait.

Using a long bolt to hold the rippled conduit & make an electrical connection for the lamp.

Dalek Trooper Weapon (37).jpgDalek Trooper Weapon (46).jpg

I'm trying to use a pop bottle for the tip emitter. A bit of PVC for a spacer & unscrew-able tip to replace the LED if need be. (The actual light was too expensive for me.) I blocked off the bottom with flatten PVC & used an adapted caulking gun with two sized tubing to reach the bottom of the tip.

Dalek Trooper Weapon (38).jpgDalek Trooper Weapon (39).jpgDalek Trooper Weapon (40).jpgDalek Trooper Weapon (41).jpgDalek Trooper Weapon (42).jpgDalek Trooper Weapon (43).jpgDalek Trooper Weapon (44).jpgDalek Trooper Weapon (45).jpg

This is the center tube the rings go on. I put an inner ring inside to bolt to the conduit rods.

Dalek Trooper Weapon (47).jpgDalek Trooper Weapon (59).jpg

I smooth down the cardboard rings with plaster filler & paint.

Dalek Trooper Weapon (48).jpgDalek Trooper Weapon (60).jpg

I could have made an acrylic emitter tip, but I desperately wanted to finish making a vacuum former, even if it is a small. I made a small emitter tip out of the same wood dowel as the handle. I meticulously measured & drilled a hole in the middle, attached a small bolt rod, the same as the rod in the conduit, & attached it to my drill & lathed it. I would have done it different with acrylic rod, attaching it to my lathe drill.

Dalek Trooper Weapon (51).jpgDalek Trooper Weapon (50).jpgDalek Trooper Weapon (52).jpg

I don't have the electricity or room to use a heating coil or toaster oven to melt the plastic in this holder, so I used my heat gun & continually heated it. I tried heating it from the top & I screwed it up on two points. 1, I heated it from the top, 2, I tried to put the tray on wile my vacuum was running. It sucked all the hot air out & solidified before I could get the holder in place.

Dalek Trooper Weapon (54).jpgDalek Trooper Weapon (55).jpg

The second time, I tried with Pop Bottle Plastic & it did this once I applied the heat. I acted like a shrinky dink, pulling the plastic out of the frame. So I went back to the opaque milk jug plastic.

Dalek Trooper Weapon (53).jpg

SO, I tried a different approach. Making a quick stand out of two wire hangers & heated the plastic from the top & continuance heat all around. I found if I stop moving around, some arias of the plastic quickly cool off. I put the tray in, kept heating the plastic & turn on the vacuum. SUCCESS!

Dalek Trooper Weapon (58).jpgDalek Trooper Weapon (56).jpgDalek Trooper Weapon (57).jpg

I found the ring tube was too long after measuring out were the rings were spaced, so I put it on my drill lathe & cut it with a hand saw. (smooth cut) , (This means more editing to my blueprint, expect an update image soon.)

Dalek Trooper Weapon (63).jpgDalek Trooper Weapon (61).jpgDalek Trooper Weapon (62).jpg

elkad

I remade the battery pack & dremeled out a cavity in the handle. Spring elements & a 1" PVC sleeve that holds down the battery's & wire. You do have to unscrew the handle to replace the battery's, but it's worth it.

Dalek Trooper Weapon (64).jpgDalek Trooper Weapon (65).jpgDalek Trooper Weapon (66).jpg

I was racking my brain on how to attach the emitter tip so I can still access the LED, wire, & bolts if I need to adapt or fix something. I was going for PVC tabs that screw & lock into place, but, IDEA, I've got magnets.

Dalek Trooper Weapon (67).jpg

I just need to paint it now.

Dalek Trooper Weapon (68).jpgDalek Trooper Weapon (69).jpg

elkad

Stared off with a gray primer then a silver. I keep forgetting to put some disposable gloves on when painting, I got a Cyber Thumb.

Dalek Trooper Weapon (70).jpgDalek Trooper Weapon (71).jpg

I drilled a bigger hold in the cap to insert an LED light, with silver reflector. I painted the emitter light inside & out with a red gloss tint. Then painted a strip of black at the top & silver one on the bottom.

Dalek Trooper Weapon (72).jpgDalek Trooper Weapon (73).jpgDalek Trooper Weapon (74).jpgDalek Trooper Weapon (75).jpgDalek Trooper Weapon (76).jpgDalek Trooper Weapon (77).jpgDalek Trooper Weapon (78).jpg

I shouldn't have painted the inside, as soon as I put the sleeve over the cap, it became stuck, & I dropped the LED inside. SO, I had to drill out a larger hole & make another holder for another set of brighter LED's. I did a test with the LED holder, & the light wasn't just bright enough for me.

Dalek Trooper Weapon (79).jpgDalek Trooper Weapon (80).jpg

I know the head & tip is silver, but the barrels & gun grip should be a darker silver. More sanding to darken it, or add more layers of paint.

Dalek Trooper Weapon (81).jpgDalek Trooper Weapon (82).jpgDalek Trooper Weapon (83).jpg

I'll have a video & selfies at some point, keep an eye out for that post.

Volpone

If I may, a black wash on the barrels could be very rewarding.  It will darken it but it will also give it more depth and contrast as the black settles into the nooks and crannies while mostly leaving the high spots silver.  I might try India ink if I were doing it. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

elkad