Apr 28, 2024, 07:05 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Baked Beans for tea? Anyone?

Started by Andrew Harvey, Jun 21, 2022, 06:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Harvey

Hello, and good day to you all.
  Ive been mucking about with paintshop and a miniature Police Box, (one of my own builds which has been on the site before, and can be seen elsewhere....)
  I found a way of stretching images to make a convincing time tunnel effect. Personally, I think they came out quite well. One day, I'll have a proper go at trying slit scan.... We shall see.

TARDIS in Vortex (1)r.jpgTardis in Vortex 3br.jpgTardis in Vortex 3cbr.jpg

Volpone

Very nice!  It looks like an updated early 1970s opening sequence in the way "Star Trek: Strange New Worlds" has an updated classic series vibe to it.  I always thought the last season of Pertwee was maybe the best credits (that or the Hartnell credits).  Great version of the theme, nice start of a starfield-like image before transitioning to the slitscan.  Only drawback is Pertwee looks a little like a grandmother to me in it.  While it was pretty much a standard of the classic series to feature a portrait of The Doctor in the opening credits, if I had the time and skill I always wanted to do a version of those credits that replaced Pertwee with a TARDIS a la the Tom Baker credits (yes, there was also a portrait of Tom, but you know what I mean).  But yeah, I can almost hear the theme, chugging along as the credits roll when I look at your pics up there. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

Andrew Harvey

Thanks Volpone! Actually I like the Pertwee ones the best too. And yes; he does look like a granny! I always thought the portraits of the doctor somewhat odd, but the Tom Baker one was really good. Very sinister! Loved it as a kid. Ive been trying to work out a way of getting that 'Star field' effect you mention. I always thought more could be made of that. A longer version with the Police box among those starlets....and the two beams at the start of the Baker one.... The image I used to do these was of a resin table a friend of mine made. It had lots of air bubbles and he had put blue die here and there. I took some close up photographs of it knowing it would come in handy for something.
  The next thing for me to try is to actually do a slit scan. I think I can do it with some fairly primitive equipment. Just mounting the camera on a track and timing each exposure carefully as it moves closer to the slot should produce something. We shall see. Its many years since I went to a car boot sale, I might start looking for a length of railway track....
  There is a nice little film on you tube about how Bernard Lodge made the effect. Of course, he had all the toys....