Apr 16, 2024, 05:19 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

OMG. OMG. OMG. Dr. Who-style Panama hat...

Started by Volpone, Aug 07, 2022, 03:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Volpone

This is something I have literally searched for for about 4 decades.  Classic Dr. Who likes his straw hats.  Given my age, the Peter Davison one is the most noteworthy, but Sylvester McCoy and even William Hartnell have worn Panama hats.  And they always have a shape you can't find anywhere.  Until now... 

Unwinding for the evening and not quite ready for bed, I decided to see what was in my e-mail spam folders to make sure nothing important was getting blocked and I found this:  https://www.villagehatshop.com/product/straw-hats/451139-3091/jaxon-hats-habana-cuenca-panama-straw-hat.html?utm_source=Campaigner&utm_campaign=CAM_AUG22_BRAND_JAXON_PANAMA_080222&cmp=1&utm_medium=HTMLemail

I absolutely do not need this right now, but should I drop a c-note on something I've looked for most of my life?   :-\
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

russellsuthern

That's a great find.
When I was putting my 5th Dr costume together I saw untold Panama hats with a dip in the crown, but just couldn't find one with the central ridge like Peter's has.
Have you bought one yet?

Russ

ionsith

I used to have one with the ridge down the centre. It's a popular design... but it maybe harder to source outside the UK. This is the kind that Peter Davison and Sylvester McCoy wore:

https://www.genuinepanamahats.co.uk/collections/gentlemen-panamas/products/prescious-extrafino-montecristi-hat-optimo-creased-crown-grade-18-20

Volpone

Ye gods, 615 pounds for a hat?  For that kind of money it better have a gun or a motorcycle built into it.  This is my problem.  When I look at nice traditional dressing gowns or some other item, I can find stuff I like and I can find stuff I can afford.  But never both.  I have to pick one or the other.  :(
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

alexcutler

It is quite easy to find genuine panama hats costing more than £3000, for a particularly fine and artisanal weave.  But given the sheer amount of labour that goes in to making one, if I'm spending less than £150, then I've probably encouraged child labour - and certainly not paid a reasonable living wage for the number of hours it takes to create. 

Or I can just get a machine-made non-genuine one for £15 from China...