1965 Doctor Who and the Daleks - Reference Pictures

Started by Rassilons Rod, Mar 08, 2010, 08:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Rassilons Rod

Mar 08, 2010, 08:32 am Last Edit: Aug 10, 2010, 08:00 pm by Scarfwearer
Here are some reference images from the first movie.DWATD-Ext01.pngDWATD-Ext02.pngDWATD-Ext03.pngDWATD-Ext04.pngDWATD-Ext05.pngDWATD-Ext06.pngDWATD-Ext07.pngDWATD-Ext08.png
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

darren79

Some recently released shots of the Shepperton box

They show a nice level of detail. Oh what a gorgeous box!

DfqeRAaX4AEHn-4.jpg
DfqeRAdXUAAglTB.jpg
DfqeRAnW0AAAwNk.jpg
DfqeRAYX4AM3cym.jpg

lorisarvendu

Aha! As I always suspected, that's a lava lamp on top, isn't it!

Kingpin

The lamp's a rather disappointing development considering how nice the rest of the box is.

lorisarvendu

It's a proper fresnel in the 2nd movie, since you see it in daylight and from above, but in the 1st movie both the petrified forest and Dr. Who's back garden are in darkness, so not only can't you see the lamp, you probably don't need to, since the script doesn't require it to flash.

It does seem an odd thing to use, however the same could be said for both the new and classic TV series in which few attempts at accuracy have been made.  So I guess a lava lamp isn't really any worse than the horrible white tube of the Pertwee/Baker years, or even Tennant's Bird Feeder

galacticprobe

Quote from: lorisarvendu on Jun 15, 2018, 12:45 pm
So I guess a lava lamp isn't really any worse than the horrible white tube of the Pertwee/Baker years, or even Tennant's Bird Feeder

Don't forget the Season 17 Newbery's rotating blue police car lamp. :P Compared to that, the white tube of the Brachacki (Seasons 2-13) wasn't so bad. And at least the New Series 1-4 Richmond-Thomas TARDIS' lamp was a lamp (actually not a bird feeder, though some could serve well for replica builders): granted it was a garden lamp (Gardman) designed to hold a tea light candle - but at least it was a proper lamp. The Newbery's rotating thingy... still scratching my head on why someone thought that was a good idea. :-\

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

lorisarvendu

Jun 16, 2018, 08:01 am #6 Last Edit: Jun 16, 2018, 08:05 am by lorisarvendu
For those thinking of building a Cushing Tardis, I've found an excellent source for lamps!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lava-Lamps/b?ie=UTF8&node=3764801031

;D ;D ;D

Oh, and take another look at the screenshots from Dr Who's back garden.  Is that a weeping angel?  :o

galacticprobe

Jun 17, 2018, 03:17 am #7 Last Edit: Jun 17, 2018, 03:47 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: lorisarvendu on Jun 16, 2018, 08:01 am
Oh, and take another look at the screenshots from Dr Who's back garden.  Is that a weeping angel?  :o

<Shivers down the spine> Well, it doesn't have wings, but then neither did those "bronze" mother and child statues in Grayle's mansion's front yard in "The Angels Take Manhattan". (So as the question goes for the Vashta Nerada:

River Song: "Every shadow?"
the Doctor: "No. But any shadow."

...then so, too, can it go for those Weeping Angels:

"Every statue?"
"No, but any statue.")

Interesting how this looks like it might have been a foreshadowing of things to come. <Mind the pun ;)>

Good catch on that one, lorisarvendu!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Dalekoracle

Well i don't know about a weeping angel, nor do i think thats a Lava Lamp on the top of the Police Box Prop (Looks to me like an industrial style beacon, not a stylish Lava Lamp) but I'd like to ask... has anyone noticed the weird geometry about "Dr Who's" house in the film?
Looking at the back wall, theres a door, and to the right of it, a kitchen hatch.
They open the back door, and you can see the Garden through the open door.
The camera cuts to an exterior view. Its the other side of the door. And theres no continuation of the building where the kitchen should be. Indeed, on the reverse view of the wall where the kitchen hatch is, theres an old tin bath on a hook.
Its all very strange indeed!
Must be something to do with Relative Dimensions or some such nonsense!
Sorry, off topic, but its bugged me since i first saw the film in the 1970s!

Mark

galacticprobe

Jun 20, 2018, 07:28 am #9 Last Edit: Jun 20, 2018, 07:28 am by galacticprobe
Well, remember the focal point of the film was intended to be the TARDIS (or simply "TARDIS" as Dr. Who called it in the film... sounded funny, but I digress). Also the adventure was the main point of the film, so I don't think the director or set designers gave much attention to the inside-of-the-house sets, especially when filming "outside" the house when that TARDIS would be taking center stage.

And this was also done back when the producers had not a dream that one day people like us would be playing that film again and again on something called a DVD, and using the "Pause" button so we could pick apart the details of everything in and of the film. So they most likely spent all their attention on the TARDIS and the Dalek sets. The house was, after all, just an introductory thingy where that clumsy version of Ian could meet Dr. Who and then be introduced to "TARDIS", before accidentally sending everyone off on a deadly adventure.

On the other side of things, this is also the scientist that designed and built a Police Box that's bigger on the inside, and can travel anywhere in time and space. So there's no telling what he's done with his house! (He probably just forgot to stabilise his pedestrian infrastructure. ;) ;D)

Dino.

Osiran

As you can see I have a lava lamp, and all these years I never realised it was a Tardis lamp.

IMG_20200726_141557_kindlephoto-3639016.jpg

I think they should have switched it on though. It would have looked so 'groovy' in the petrified forest of Skaro. Almost has groovy as the hair and makeup of the Thals in fact.
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes". The 4th Doctor