Started by Oor Wullie, Apr 06, 2022, 09:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

russellsuthern

Coming together nicely!!

Regards,

Russell Suthern

Oor Wullie

Jun 13, 2022, 09:31 pm #61 Last Edit: Jun 13, 2022, 09:42 pm by Oor Wullie
Sunny day, so off to town for my window framing, roof tier and retaining wall wood, and a can of Resene equivalent paint which promises to match BBC approved Pantone TARDIS blue. Once I get cutting, it will all go together rapidly. 25mm fence paling is the only dimension I can find to rip down and sand into the center wall and door strips. I also freaked last night, finding that the plan's call for 140x35 mm wood for the roof tiers does not exist as a dimension in NZ. Seems Britain, the US, Aussie and Kiwi standard dimensions differ! But I kept looking and found 138x 32 smooth decking boards will work just fine and it's in stock in our otherwise wood shortage at the moment. Just some wood for the top and bottom of the lamp to find and I've got all my materials. 

I wrote to my acrylic supplier Weprofab in China to order 8 full sheets of hammered glass acrylic for the windows. Looks perfect. I gave up trying to see if they'll insert blue lucite in pane 5 since most show TARDISes I like are the early ones from Hartnell to Tom Baker and they tend to have what looks like the same dirtied hammered glass look in all panes. This way I can pop them in and be done. I'm going to rip a 12x12 mm corner into 24x24 mm stock for the frames to make an L shape. Then drop-sawing notches to take the 12x12 mullions and muntins. This leaves a 12x12 inside lip on the frames to set the acrylic into. I'm cutting my inner ply window holes 12 mm wider on all sides than the outside hole so that 12 mm can be seated and the remaining 12 mm of the 24 will be outwardly exposed window frame. Lots of small joinery to  do but you get the idea.

Oor Wullie

I've had a week off due to a sprained wrist while flipping the compost pile, not even TARDIS related.

But I did get my window framing started.

On the research front, I'm readying to do the heavy cutting and have read all reviews and watched all youtube vids on my new B&D table saw. Kickback is real people, wood flying back at you at 100 mph if it gets pinched between the blade and the fence, especially small stock like the window frames which I need to cut square rabbet joints along lengthwise. So, short message is do your research, know your tool in and out and stay uninjured. I got some great advice from a nine fingered staffer at the hardware store.

The other search has been for the elusive window acrylic. I've given up trying to source from China and India as they are not now replying. Found a new place in Eugene, Oregon which has a nice range of textures Including hammered, called Divot, which I'm after, plus some other cool ones which could be nice for console builders. Website is https://www.novadisplay.com/design-customization/materials-and-finishes/patterned-and-textured-acrylic/. I'll show the nice textures in photos here. No pricing yet.

182A795C-E9F0-403B-ACE3-078CA4002011.jpeg

6ABD274E-EC06-4565-A68E-0D01A2D3B478.jpeg

3A444942-D6E3-4CF0-B9F6-523361AF7A1C.jpeg

23656C03-EE09-4B24-B72C-5712E5A3898D.jpeg

D0CE135B-DA9A-4690-8742-481666CAA1B6.jpeg

0348949B-00E4-474E-B3CD-A816DE2A03AB.jpeg

Volpone

Those images remind me of a lot of the old early sets.  The BBC must've had a line on formed plastic shapes and they made good use of them in countless space stations, alien worlds, etc. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

Oor Wullie

Hahaha, forget those acrylic window panels. The quote on a set of 8 panes came in at USD$ 2000! They only sell by the full sheet, so I'd be paying for a plywood sized purchase even though they'd cut it.

russellsuthern

Volpone

Just as well.  It would've been maddening if the price was a bargain and then you found out what the shipping was going to be.  Because I bet it would've been an arm and a leg. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.