Mar 29, 2024, 08:20 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

3D Print Dalek Saucer - The Vanquishers

Started by Cardinal Hordriss, Jan 15, 2022, 02:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Cardinal Hordriss

This post is something of a teaser. As some of you know I've been working with a friend on a 3D printable model of the new Dalek ships seen in The Flux. There are a lot of pics to post so I'm splitting the reveal into two posts -

This post - Design
Next post - Product

The design process took a lot of work. Firstly - it was very difficult to find pics of the saucer and so I had to sit and watch The Vanquishers, pausing in the best places for screen caps and secondly because of Shapeways. I chose Shapeways to print the model because I use them a lot and their quality can be relied on. Shapeways also offer a large range of materials to print with. Shapeways' quality control process starts before the model is printed and this is what lead to a lot of delays while the model was tweaked to ensure the best final result. We had to drop some of the details shown in these pics but you get the idea.

The model has been printed and has arrived safely. My next post will be to show the model itself.

20211230_190809.jpg

received_1460720547657294.jpg

received_621105782473498.jpg
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

Cardinal Hordriss

Ooooooo I forgot to ask...

Should I try to paint the green bits?

I think I could do the green domes on the ridge across the top but my hands aren't steady and I'm not sure I could do thr smaller domes or the slats near the domes on the underside.

So should I do -

No green bits?
The domes on the ridge?
The domes and slats?
All the green bits?

I'm not sure what will look best or how much not doing/doing doing them badly will niggle at me.
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

Cardinal Hordriss

I did it!

For some reason it looks really bright in the pics but I did it!

20220118_231209.jpg

20220118_231220.jpg

20220118_231235.jpg

20220118_231248.jpg

Cardinal Hordriss