Apr 25, 2024, 09:17 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

2005 tardis reference

Started by slidin_sidewayz, Aug 09, 2012, 11:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

KIT-KAT

When I saw it at doctor who experience, it looked very scorched and much blacker than it was in the show
No, not the mind probe!

Vale

Nov 25, 2017, 05:45 pm #61 Last Edit: Nov 25, 2017, 05:49 pm by Vale
I'm guessing that early repair work was why one panel wasn't the correct aqua colour in "The Doctor's Wife":
vlcsnap-2017-11-25-17h47m18s020.jpg

By the time I saw it at the Experience in summer 2015, the console looked fully repaired. This would have been after its appearance in "The Day of the Doctor" of course.
IMG_0760.jpg

Vale

Nov 25, 2017, 06:43 pm #62 Last Edit: Nov 26, 2017, 01:53 pm by Vale
Made these gifs from the opening moments of "The Eleventh Hour":

https://imgur.com/xEjQn3F

You can clearly see the fake rim (minus dimples) in place here just prior to it exploding out.

https://imgur.com/z7YerAh

Later when the Doctor is climbing back into the TARDIS you can see that an entire facet of the console is missing.

EDIT: I've tried to embed the gifs without success, but the links work.

EDIT 2: Since I've put the images on Imgur, I've re-uploaded them at full resolution and slightly extended the cuts since their file size limitations aren't as strict. They're slowed down by 2.5x from broadcast speed.

Angelus Lupus

Nice gifs! (pronounced with a hard G) So they made a 'stunt' section to blow up but, for whatever reason, the flames went a little further than they were expecting - you can clearly see fire going under the 'rib' closest to camera. Maybe the rim didn't break away early enough and that caused the fire to blow back into the console rather than out?
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

galacticprobe

Nov 26, 2017, 03:09 pm #64 Last Edit: Nov 26, 2017, 03:58 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: Vale on Nov 25, 2017, 05:45 pm
I'm guessing that early repair work was why one panel wasn't the correct aqua colour in "The Doctor's Wife":

That would be odd, though. The white light coming from the console is on the metal mesh panel that has the gyrocompass repeater on it (the panel that also has the switchboard the 10th Doctor loved pounding with the mallet). The panel that blew out was two to its left (on the left side of the rheostat rib, which is the one you see in the gifs). So one would think the metal mesh panel would have kept its "greenish" glow, especially with the one immediately to its left (and the one that would have been right next to the blow-out panel) still having its greenish glow.

Quote from: Vale on Nov 25, 2017, 06:43 pm
Made these gifs from the opening moments of "The Eleventh Hour":

https://imgur.com/xEjQn3F

You can clearly see the fake rim (minus dimples) in place here just prior to it exploding out.

https://imgur.com/z7YerAh

Later when the Doctor is climbing back into the TARDIS you can see that an entire facet of the console is missing.

At least they used a "stunt" rim section for that blow-out. (And actually, when you see it at real speed, you don't see the rim blow out, only the panel, so this GIF is very enlightening.)

But when you take a look at the console on display (photo courtesy of Kingpin, notations by me) in my post back a few pages (http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=3646.msg48876#msg48876) you can see a rim section hanging down, and that rim section has the "dimples" like the other rim sections. (Was that an actual "stunt" rim section they'd added for the blast? Or did they blow up one rim section for the scene? If they did use a stunt rim section, then why did they just rest the actual rim section - presumably removed for the blast scene - against the console, and not set it in place to make the damage not look so bad? ???)

Could the apparent absence of the dimples just before the rim explodes be caused by a trick of the lighting? Because as you watch the GIF where the Doctor is climbing back into the TARDIS, you can see what looks like a rim section hanging down from that blown out panel, and the way it's hanging almost matches the way it's hanging in the photo I linked to just above. (Also that's a great GIF to show the location of which panel was blown out: one of the 'cracked ice' panels, and the one just to the left of the rheostat rib.)

Great work putting those together, Vale!

Quote from: Vale on Nov 25, 2017, 06:43 pm
EDIT: I've tried to embed the gifs without success, but the links work.

Yeah, unfortunately animated GIFs can take up lots of room in the server's memory. As explained to me once (if I'm getting this right), a 50kB GIF with animations will only takes up 50kB of space on the hard drive, but in the server's memory 3​MB could be the uncompressed size, and the server "can" be slowed down by an excess of imagery because animated GIFs will be larger than your plain "static" GIF. Also, animated GIFs run through their sequence without any prompting, unlike a video which has a "Play" button (so that uncompressed file size will always be running in the memory). So that's why the Forum is set up to not allow animated GIFs.

Also as I've seen on a few other forums I'm a member of, people can get carried away with posting animated GIFs, some even using them for their avatars, which can be quite distracting. One animated avatar is interesting; a page full of them is distracting; one animated GIF in a post is, now and then, helpful to the discussion and explanation being put across, but when people start using them a lot in posts because they're just trying to do something funny, seeing them in so many posts makes them irritating. And people start adding them to their signature lines. Then you've got an animated GIF for avatars, in posts (sometimes several in one post), in the signature lines...)

Posting links like you have is a better way to go, especially if people are able to save the GIF to their computer. Then they can look at it anytime they like and analyze it as much as they want.

I hope the info on why you couldn't post the animated GIFs was helpful.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"