May 20, 2024, 03:03 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!


Cidermans Hell Bent (ish) Console

Started by ciderman, Dec 03, 2021, 08:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Volpone

Yeah, technically they're a little small if you're going by the actual onscreen ones, but you can take advantage of that for a "forced perspective" effect--the room will look bigger because the roundels are smaller and thus appear farther away.  (For true forced perspective, you've start with full-sized roundels closest the audience/camera and have them gradually smaller as you went back.)  When I first did my TARDIS, I didn't have actual windows.  I just painted window-sized spots grey and then put the glass and frame over them.  Then I bought a pack of styrofoam plates and glued them up on the inside.  Not at all accurate to the size of real roundels, but since the interior space is about 4x4 it was a kind of neat effect.  These are MUCH nicer than disposable plates.
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

ciderman

Quote from: Berenvonbaggins on May 22, 2023, 03:05 amThose bowls look a treat! As they are, they'd make nice roundels for a Master's TARDIS as well!

Depending on your resources, an option for roundels that is common here is casting duplicated out of resin or some other material.

How large are the bowls? I fear they may look a bit small on a full size door!  :-\
15 inches in diameter but my console is a little over 6 foot as opposed to 8 so it prob will even out scale wise.

ciderman

Quote from: Volpone on May 22, 2023, 03:18 pmYeah, technically they're a little small if you're going by the actual onscreen ones, but you can take advantage of that for a "forced perspective" effect--the room will look bigger because the roundels are smaller and thus appear farther away.  (For true forced perspective, you've start with full-sized roundels closest the audience/camera and have them gradually smaller as you went back.)  When I first did my TARDIS, I didn't have actual windows.  I just painted window-sized spots grey and then put the glass and frame over them.  Then I bought a pack of styrofoam plates and glued them up on the inside.  Not at all accurate to the size of real roundels, but since the interior space is about 4x4 it was a kind of neat effect.  These are MUCH nicer than disposable plates.
Thanks! Nothing against disposable plates but they just look close enough and my console and room are not huge so it will probably all balance out. To be honest I was thrilled when I saw them because 15 inches is the biggest plastic 'dish' Ive seen and reasonably priced too.

ciderman

IMG-20230622-WA0020.jpgA little more progress on the collar...

ciderman

IMG-20230622-WA0021.jpgIMG-20230622-WA0022.jpgNot the smoothest circle ever cut but still!

ciderman

So after weeks of blazing sun I finally get a day to do some cutting but ot drizzles! Still i managed to start to cut my roundelled walls IMG-20230628-WA0006.jpgIMG-20230628-WA0005.jpgIMG-20230628-WA0004.jpgIMG-20230628-WA0003.jpgThis final shot is part of the frame of my neighbors old wendy house build. He knows I have a garage project on but hasnt twigged what I'm building yet he he!! 8)

redfern

Those plastic plates work a treat!  Bummer they aren't a lighter color that can filter some backlighting, but I feel the overall shape and inner beveling outweighs any perceived shortcomings.

ciderman

Quote from: redfern on Jun 28, 2023, 05:28 pmThose plastic plates work a treat!  Bummer they aren't a lighter color that can filter some backlighting, but I feel the overall shape and inner beveling outweighs any perceived shortcomings.
Thanks! Yes its more the shape and overall look that drew me to it rather than wether its opaque or not. I will view this as being like the roundelled wall in the tardis that was always solid and white like when Turlough was messing with the Tardis controls in Terminus. I will probably have a go at a lit roundelled wall with solid depth sides on the internal depth and a white transarent back like in Hellbent when I am more confident. But overall I'm pleased with how it turned out so far.
Theres another piece of wood behind that which I will cut out in a mirror reverse to that, 'join together' in the middle and then at least I have one wall.

ciderman

I cut another panel out and I've roughly put them together so now I have one wall or a very big Connect 4IMG-20230701-WA0004.jpgIMG-20230701-WA0006.jpgIMG-20230701-WA0005.jpg

Berenvonbaggins

Those bowls do the trick! That's properly convincing, that was an amazing find! If I ever do a console room I'll have to keep this idea in mind.
"You know, you're a classic example of the inverse ratio between the size of the mouth and the size of the brain."
- Fourth Doctor

ciderman

Quote from: Berenvonbaggins on Jul 02, 2023, 04:53 pmThose bowls do the trick! That's properly convincing, that was an amazing find! If I ever do a console room I'll have to keep this idea in mind.
Thankyou! Just need to get some more to plug the gaps. I'm trying to think of a flooring solution for my rough garage floor but will probably go for click fit laminate flooring albiet a plain grey or white then I can fix this tardis wall permanently.

russellsuthern


ciderman

Quote from: russellsuthern on Jul 03, 2023, 11:13 amLooks AMAZING!!
Russell

Thankyou Russell! The work continues...