Apr 20, 2024, 12:35 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

My Wife's Office Door for Halloween

Started by Bloodninja, Oct 29, 2021, 09:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloodninja

My wife's workplace had a contest for everyone to dress up and decorate each of their office doors for Halloween.  Her being a huge Doctor Who fan, she chose to be The Doctor and make the TARDIS door.  She enlisted me in getting the measurements for the door details which brought me to this site.

Thank you all for the great resource and plethora of information.  I'm afraid I'm now going to have to build her a real TARDIS for our house.   LOL

Alexis - Doctor Who.jpg

russellsuthern

Great TARDIS door & I LOVE the 4th Dr Who cosplay!!

Awesome stuff!!

Regards,

Russell

(But- did she win the competition??!!)

Bloodninja

Quote from: russellsuthern on Oct 29, 2021, 09:45 pmGreat TARDIS door & I LOVE the 4th Dr Who cosplay!!

Awesome stuff!!

Regards,

Russell

(But- did she win the competition??!!)
Thanks! 

She worked so hard on the costume and the door.  She was a little bugged that she didn't have the correct screwdriver, but nobody even noticed.  As a matter of fact, (sadly) nobody in the entire office even knew who she was supposed to be.  She works at an Orthopedics practice and even the older doctors didn't know.  Although, one of them googled it afterward and was intrigued.... so maybe she introduced it to a future fan.

Regardless, she did win 2nd place in the individual category, so at least everyone acknowledged the complexity of her work.

Angelus Lupus

Seconded on all of Russ's points! Lovely faux 3D effect on the door panels - How did no-one recognise the Doctor and the Tardis?  :o
Also, welcome to the forum! If you do end up building your wife a Tardis I rather suspect she won't be the only one to enjoy it!  By which I mean: you and, vicariously, this forum because we love seeing build diaries. ;D
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

redfern

Well, that's a fun twist!  Usually, the wives "tolerate" their husbands' fandoms.  I gather you live someplace other than the UK, thus explaining the office's complete lack of knowledge about DW?

I almost hate to ask, but what was the theme that won first place?

Volpone

She had a pretty good coat for a 4th Doctor.  And the right hair and a decent 4th Doctor smile.   Well done. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

russellsuthern

Yeah,
We in the UK assume everyone on the planet has heard of the good Doctor....
I assume you are in the States?

I had an American student once who, upon seeing my Daleks, asked if they were a couple of R2-D2's!! :o

_Facepalm-

Russell

redfern

Strangely enough, during the heyday of the 1980s when numerous PBS stations across the US aired DW, there was a rather decent presence of fandom in the "Deep South".  (That's the equivalent of the rural "North" in the UK.)  True, it was in the more metropolitan areas like Atlanta in Georgia, and New Orleans in Louisiana, but more than a few of us (perceived as) country bumpkins knew of Doctor Who, the TARDIS and Daleks.  pledge drives to raise funds for "public broadcasting" proved interesting with the people answering the phones dressed in costume and GPB (Georgia Public Broadcasting) even managed to get a few of the genuine Doctors to appear including Peter Davison, and Sylvester McCoy.

Of course, the various PBS affiliates started to drop DW from their schedules as the BBC raised its fees and with it absent from the airwaves, public recognition faded.  One would reasonably assume with BBC America airing DW, the show would be more recognized again.  However, it's usually only aired when a new series of episodes are released, not year around as in the past.  Plus, with so many sci-fantasy options provided by an ever growing number of streaming services, Doctor Who is deprived of the attention it might otherwise garner.  So, I suspect it will never regain the popularity it experienced during the 80s in the States.

Sincerely,

Bill