Mar 29, 2024, 04:47 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Reference pictures: Mk II Console (1976)

Started by Scarfwearer, May 13, 2009, 11:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

Apr 01, 2012, 05:16 pm #45 Last Edit: Apr 01, 2012, 05:18 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: rassilonsrod on Apr 01, 2012, 04:33 pm

Remember, there was one panel we've never seen open.

Yeah... that one elusive panel that refused to divulge its secrets. >:( Grrrr! But if we take a look back at the discussion we had of the panels, and the panel layout that celation put together (link above in my other post), based on the panels that we did see, and where we saw them located on the console, we sort of guessed that the "unknown" panel might have been a second writing desk.

As celation said in his post in that thread when he created the panel layout: "...the only configuration which makes the two pictures work together..."

Also, looking very closely again at that recent photo warmcanofcoke posted, checking the panel on the right side of the console, you can see that "speaker grille" thing is on the left side of the buttons. On all of the panels that we've seen with that speaker grille (check all of the photos that we know are not mirror imaged), that grille has always been to the right of the buttons, which lends more credence to it being a mirror image photo.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Rassilons Rod

In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

meantimebob

isn't it simpler to just look at which way the cupboard door opens, beneath the control panels, to see if its a mirrored pic or not? ;)

Rassilons Rod

Another good point, well made.

I was just about to look up the thread that shows the layout of the walls (with the stained glass roundels in the right places).
Public Enema Number One.

warmcanofcoke

Quote from: galacticprobe on Apr 01, 2012, 05:16 pm
Also, looking very closely again at that recent photo warmcanofcoke posted, checking the panel on the right side of the console, you can see that "speaker grille" thing is on the left side of the buttons. On all of the panels that we've seen with that speaker grille (check all of the photos that we know are not mirror imaged), that grille has always been to the right of the buttons, which lends more credence to it being a mirror image photo.

Dino.

Good point, well made!  :)
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

galacticprobe

Apr 02, 2012, 05:52 am #50 Last Edit: Apr 02, 2012, 05:56 am by galacticprobe
Thanks, rassilonsrod, and warmcanofcoke!

Quote from: meantimebob on Apr 01, 2012, 05:23 pm
isn't it simpler to just look at which way the cupboard door opens, beneath the control panels, to see if its a mirrored pic or not? ;)

Not when you consider we never saw the speaker grille thing on the control panels on any other than the right side of the buttons. Also, in an earlier photo in this thread, posted by rassilonsrod, it shows two other doors on the plinth - both closed - one of which has its pull knob placed to indicate that it opens with hinges on its left (as opposed to the one that opens with hinges on its right as in "Hand of Fear", and is the only door we ever saw open throughout all of Season 14).

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

darktimelord

All these reference pictures are fantastic. Does anyone know the actual measurements  of the room itself? Or at least one side ( yes, there's no actual fourth wall, but assuming it's a square room, what is is the size of it, is what I'm getting at.)  Would love to know if I go crazy and build it into a room of my house

Rassilons Rod

There should be a grab around here somewhere but check out the extras on your Robots of Death DVD.
Public Enema Number One.

Rassilons Rod

Public Enema Number One.

Volpone

This is such an interesting set.  I'd love to pick the designer's brain because it tackles some interesting things about a TARDIS control room in a way we have never seen apart from for this one season.  First off, they stick stairs in to get to the door.  Stairs are a standby set designer trick to add some drama to a room--particularly for entrances.  They also stick the console up on a podium/dais.  On one hand I wondered if this would be problematic, interfering with actors behind the console, but on the other hand the actors on the dais are nicely highlighted.  Another thing this set accomplishes is that it completely gets the time rotor literally out of the picture.  In the early episodes, the rotor stays in a "down" position a lot, with limited rotation of the elements, but by the 1996 movie, there's a big, honkin' thing that you have to factor in as you compose your shots.  You don't want to do a pan or some blocking and have your actors hidden behind a Plexiglass assembly.  In conclusion, a very interesting set that addresses some elements of a TARDIS control room that we hadn't seen before and don't see again. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

Rassilons Rod

It was meant to have a rotor, I believe,  with an Iris to hide it.
Public Enema Number One.

galacticprobe

Oct 03, 2014, 07:30 am #56 Last Edit: Oct 03, 2014, 07:34 am by galacticprobe
Rassilonsrod is right about that rotor and the iris lid to hide it when the TARDIS was landed, if what everyone involved with the show during this time interviewed wasn't just making things up. Lack of budget ended that, but the hole was already cut in the top, hence that disc atop the console to cover that hole.

If you really want to see some of the intricacies of this little beauty, I suggest reading through http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=284.msg498#msg498 Build Diary. So many little unknown things on this console were discovered during scarfwearer's (and others) research that it boggles the mind. So much detail went into this pretty thing, and then they scrapped it! Blasphemy!

Dino.

Rassilons Rod

Public Enema Number One.

tony farrell

Whoever printed it has got it back to front!  ;)

T

galacticprobe

Nov 20, 2016, 07:15 am #59 Last Edit: Nov 20, 2016, 07:29 am by galacticprobe
This should look better for reference, then.

2016-11-19 22.36.53.jpg

(I'm sure Marc would have spotted that if the image had a glimpse of the viewer or interior door in it - a reference point for orientation.)

You'll also find larger versions of these images (the mirrored one and the corrected one) on Page 3 of this very thread... posted over 4.5 years ago (yeah: it's been that long since this thread's gotten any attention, with the last post before Marc's latest having been in 2014).

Tony, you deserve some serious thanks for bringing this thread out of its dormant state!

Dino.