Apr 24, 2024, 08:25 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Weatherproofing

Started by Darren, Sep 08, 2021, 02:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren

Hi all, haven't posted for ages because my box has been in dry storage for years, however it's coming out soon and will be exposed to the forces of the great Scottish weather.
Wondered if anyone had had experience of Bostic Emergency Roof Repair? It's a thick waterproofing 'paint' that contains fibres to fill cracks etc.
You can paint over it when it's dry so colour isn't an issue, just don't want to completely screw up the roof with a layer of stuff I can't get off haha! Any help appreciated 👍🏻

7C75BE77-CC55-4190-8E77-6DEF84BE4FAE.jpeg
Well, of course I'm being childish! There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes.

russellsuthern

I didn't use that exact product, but I used a similar product- this:

zz1.jpg

I didn't just cover my roof with it, but my whole TARDIS.
Then I covered it with blue gloss.

Worked a treat!

Hope that helps.

Russell

Darren

Awesome!
I had cracks in my flat roof, so I got this stuff to fill and it worked a treat. The fibres in it filled some huge holes in the roofing felt so thought it would be good to seal all the cracks at the joints. Just didn't want to paint the roof of the box and then have it rot from the inside out 🤦🏼‍♂️ But if you've painted your whole box in a similar stuff, and yours is still standing, then there's no harm in trying this 👍🏻
Well, of course I'm being childish! There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes.

Volpone

It sounds like this stuff is kind of premixed fiberglass.  I am intrigued. 

Don't discount rotting from within.  As stuff rots away, you can replace it with material that won't rot.  40% is optimistic for how much of my original TARDIS remains at this point.  Even the mighty 4x4 corner posts are showing bad rot at the bottoms. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.