Apr 23, 2024, 07:53 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Reference Pictures: Mk I Console (1963)

Started by Scarfwearer, Aug 22, 2009, 12:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sofia Fox

Actually, now that I look at after I read your post, Dino. It seems that these particular two roundels were indeed cut wrong or misshapen. There is a little shadow of a lip at the top of the actual roundel. Probably looked like this during the story as well.
Sofia, the infrequent builder and forumer.

kert gantry

Oct 05, 2017, 09:02 pm #106 Last Edit: Oct 05, 2017, 10:47 pm by kert gantry
The Smugglers photos above are publicity pics taken during rehearsals.

I think I'm correct in saying the mysterious shadow over the doors is present in The Tenth Planet ep. 1 as well. I wonder if the top of the zig-zag doorframe had collapsed slightly. There seems to be some kind of wire attached to it, visible in silhouette to the left of the picture.

Might also explain why the porch was put outside the doors in TP ep. 4 - to disguise the damage.  

EDIT: Sorry, somehow managed to miss Tony's similar post before I posted this!

kert gantry

Screengrab from The Tenth Planet. Whatever the problem was, it got worse!

vlcsnap-2017-10-05-23h07m35s103.png

galacticprobe

Oct 06, 2017, 03:32 am #108 Last Edit: Oct 06, 2017, 03:42 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Tony Farrell on Oct 05, 2017, 08:47 pm
Two fuller versions of the same photos. The presence of the studio microphone suggests that the photos were taken either during the camera rehearsals or during the actual recording:

The diagonal line Dino points out extends down through several roundels to the left of Bill Hartnell. This suggests some kind of awning has been fitted to the rear of the doors and the diagonal line is the supporting wire or rope.

In the story, the Tardis materialises at the mouth of a cave on the Cornish coast. Perhaps (if the actual studio camera was so focused as to be a tight shot on the doors) this awning was meant to represent the shadow cast by the cave's 'roof' being visible on the inside of the ship...

Great images, Tony! (Even larger for more detail if opened in a new window!) You can clearly see that diagonal line down the roundels, and I'm put money on it being on the other side of the doors as well (which we could see of Polly wasn't blocking the view... in both photos!).

The mic being in shot could mean that it was a dress rehearsal. (Yeah; I know we've seen the mic in shot a times during the aired episodes, but never that badly.) Which, in turn, makes me think kert gantry might be right and these are publicity photos taken during the rehearsal; it would also explain the photos' clarity.

Quote from: kert gantry on Oct 05, 2017, 09:02 pm
I think I'm correct in saying the mysterious shadow over the doors is present in The Tenth Planet ep. 1 as well.

Quote from: kert gantry on Oct 05, 2017, 10:17 pm
Screengrab from The Tenth Planet. Whatever the problem was, it got worse!

Maybe the same awning was used in "The Tenth Planet" Ep 1 to simulate some snow sticking to the windows, and therefor casting that shadow inside the TARDIS (as Tony mentioned like the lightning in the first Dalek story)? Since snow doesn't always build up evenly, the uneven shadow "could" be something like that?

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

kert gantry

Quote from: galacticprobe on Oct 06, 2017, 03:32 am

Maybe the same awning was used in "The Tenth Planet" Ep 1 to simulate some snow sticking to the windows, and therefor casting that shadow inside the TARDIS (as Tony mentioned like the lightning in the first Dalek story)? Since snow doesn't always build up evenly, the uneven shadow "could" be something like that?

Dino.

Hmm... If it was an artistic decision, it was a pretty strange one.

Sofia Fox

Sofia, the infrequent builder and forumer.

thecloisterbell

Oct 14, 2018, 07:10 pm #111 Last Edit: Oct 14, 2018, 07:14 pm by thecloisterbell
c312a3c1f325da516bd93c700b4fb093.jpg

Has anyone ever seen this image before? I can't tell if it's colourised, but if it isn't, it would seems to best shot of the blue floor we've ever gotten.

lym

It was colourised by Clayton Hickman.

thecloisterbell

fivefingeredstyre

tony farrell

What a great photo from An Unearthly Child - you can see the ceiling canopy and roundel walls reflected in the screens behind the scanner and the fact that the Console still has a bit of its wrapping attached!

I'm actually quite intrigued about the set plan that the photo had been put on top of - a tantalising glimpse of something we don't seem to have (just what is a '3" tumbler' and just what does 'thus repeat finishes' mean?).

Thanks for sharing Jonathan.  :)

T

Rassilons Rod

Great photo indeed!

I wonder if those plans are for the interior doors?

Quote from: Tony Farrell on Mar 21, 2019, 08:59 am
What a great photo from An Unearthly Child - you can see the ceiling canopy and roundel walls reflected in the screens behind the scanner and the fact that the Console still has a bit of its wrapping attached!

I'm actually quite intrigued about the set plan that the photo had been put on top of - a tantalising glimpse of something we don't seem to have (just what is a '3" tumbler' and just what does 'thus repeat finishes' mean?).

Thanks for sharing Jonathan.  :)

T
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

markofrani

Mar 21, 2019, 10:04 am #118 Last Edit: Mar 21, 2019, 10:06 am by markofrani
I took the photo when viewing the Derek Dodd auction, taking place today (Thursday 21 March).

LOT 539
https://auctions.roseberys.co.uk

The plan behind it is from The Power Of The Daleks, and instructions to Shawcraft about the model Dalek conveyor belt which uses the Herts toy Daleks...

IMG_8151.jpg

Rassilons Rod

Mar 21, 2019, 12:22 pm #119 Last Edit: Mar 21, 2019, 01:16 pm by rassilonsrod
Oh wow! That's amazing to see!  :) I hope these aren't  just going to vanish into oblivion after this auction  :(

Quoteof The Power of the Daleks, and nine plans for interiors in the Power of the Daleks, to include plans entitled, a fret cut out for prison, Communications room, scientific investigation machine room, plans for corridor set and a copy of a special effects drawing for a Dalek by Raymond Cusick showing front and side elevations for a Dalek, with four others, one including plans and suggestion for the creating of a Dalek and its incubation with special effects notes, together with a collection of thirteen copies of plans for interiors for Dr Who and the Wheel in Space
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.