Apr 20, 2024, 04:34 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

The Eagle Plinth

Started by warmcanofcoke, Dec 04, 2017, 02:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

karsthotep

that looks like it would very much be at home in the TARDIS
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

tony farrell

May 16, 2020, 11:56 am #16 Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 12:30 pm by Tony Farrell
Well, since we still seem to lack some decent colour photos of this 'beastie', I thought I'd have a rummage to see what I could find:

In the five weeks commencing Monday 11/11/1963, the late, great, (comedy) horror actor Vincent Price filmed "The Masque of the Red Death" at Elstree Studios. At the same time, the BBC was making the first ever Dalek story.

The Eagle Plinth appears only in the first episode of the Daleks' debut adventure which was initially recorded on Friday 15/11/1963 and - due to technical problems - was remounted on Friday 06/12/1963. The Eagle plinth doesn't then reappear in the Tardis until "The Edge of Destruction/Brink of Disaster" which wasn't recorded until January 1964.

It seems that between 07/12/1963 and the beginning of January 1964, the Eagle Plinth enjoyed a short trip down the road from Lime Grove to Elstree:

mev-11870525.jpg
Screenshot 2020-05-16 00.42.43.jpg
Screenshot 2020-05-16 00.06.27.jpg
Screenshot 2020-05-16 00.53.53.jpg

And, on this short trip, it seems that the Eagle Plinth was re-united with its twin!

Screenshot 2020-05-16 00.53.12.jpg
Screenshot 2020-05-16 00.51.29.jpg

So, just as it transpired in "An Adventure in Space and Time", that there were two brass Ottoman/Syrian 'pillars' (even though we only ever saw one inside the Tardis in the classic series), we now know that there were at least two Eagle Stands!

Maybe, like the brass 'pillars', at least one of the Eagle Stands survives to the present day.....

IMG_5002.JPG

T

Rassilons Rod

Excellent research Tony!

Very jealous about your trip to AAISAT :D

Do we have any measurements for that Syrian candle btw?
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

tony farrell

That was me on the set of "Twice Upon A Time"!

T

Rassilons Rod

Quote from: Tony Farrell on May 16, 2020, 09:32 pm
That was me on the set of "Twice Upon A Time"!

T

Oh! Oops. Equally jealous,  though :D
Public Enema Number One.

Rassilons Rod

Talking about the syrian candles (as we were briefly, many moons ago...)

I just spotted them in The Young Ones.... (Inside the thought bubble).

They probably ought to have their own thread (This is after all about the eagle plinth).

vlcsnap-2022-07-29-20h38m49s596 copy 2.jpg
Public Enema Number One.

meantimebob

I saw them in the 2010 version of The Wolfman. It's great spotting them here and there in tv and movies.

Volpone

Now I just need around $8 grand that I don't have any better use for.  $16 if I can find a pair.  :/
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.