New 2nd Doctor sonic screwdriver interpretation.

Started by LeoCor, May 27, 2022, 08:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LeoCor

Apparently, the World Museum in Liverpool has a new DW-based exhibit featuring costumes and set pieces, much like the DW Experience in Cardiff did (before they closed down). One of the promo photos shared on the DW Twitter page shows a line up of the main sonic screwdrivers/devices used in the show, and I noticed that there was a prop included for the 2nd Doctor.

Most of the props in this display seem to be the same ones from the DW Experience, right down to the sonic cane. As far as I know, the DW Experience never had a prop on display for the 2nd Doctor, either because it hadn't been positively identified yet, or just sheer forgetfulness. The one in the World Museum's display appears to be a new model, and not any of the Eveready penlights, Acme whistles, or blowtorches we've seen before. I don't if this is an item they based the animation on for the latest "Fury of the Deep" animation, or just a random penlight somebody felt like including, but I figured people might find it's presence intriguing.

FTwMX52X0AA7ldf.jpgFTwSL1FXsAAzKpX.jpg

russellsuthern

Nice set of pics.

Seems to me that on the whole props like the sonic start simple & elegant then get more & more cluttered & complicated.

(The Daleks are another example- & the TARDIS console, too IMO)

It's as if the prop makers feel they need to add a bit every time they bring out a new model.

I'm not sure this approach always works- Less is more, y'know!!

Regards,

Russell

LeoCor

Quote from: russellsuthern on May 28, 2022, 06:50 amNice set of pics.

Seems to me that on the whole props like the sonic start simple & elegant then get more & more cluttered & complicated.

(The Daleks are another example- & the TARDIS console, too IMO)

It's as if the prop makers feel they need to add a bit every time they bring out a new model.

I'm not sure this approach always works- Less is more, y'know!!

Regards,

Russell

It's odd. I love the simple, futuristic design of 1's console, but I really love the natural feel of 8's and 9/10's consoles. The only consoles I never really liked were the secondary control room, and the 80s console. The 80s console is definitely the lesser of two evils for me, as it still looks very advanced for the time, but I never really cared for the fact that it was almost entirely buttons. I always liked it when the consoles had a mix of dials, levers, buttons, etc.

As for the sonics, I pretty much love all the designs equally, even the basic penlight. The evolution of the design always felt right. 9/10's sonic felt like a newer, more alien version of 2's sonic, and the extension feature of 11's sonic felt very reminiscent of 8's sonic (I believe it even used the same sound effect in "Closing Time", oddly enough).

I'm very keen to learn what Ncuti Gatwa will have to work with.

anakin starkiller

I really wish someone would post some better pictures of the sonics on display in this new exhibition

Angelus Lupus

Quote from: anakin starkiller on Jul 07, 2022, 03:18 pmI really wish someone would post some better pictures of the sonics on display in this new exhibition
It's almost as if most of the people taking pictures aren't obsessed with perfectly-focused, flat-to-the-lens, no perspective-to-correct, millimetre-accurate, highest-possible-resolution images!   ;D
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

russellsuthern

LeoCor

I must make a correction! I thought that the rest of these Sonics were made either by Nick Robatto, or were the ones seen in the DW Experience. According to pictures provided by @the_doctor_props on Instagram, the 11th Doctor sonic on display appears to be a replica constructed by SanHolo80. I thought this was a interesting and weird little bit of info, given Sanholo's reputation. 😆

sanholo.png

anakin starkiller

I actually think that this one is a combo that sanholo80 made out of some of his parts and some I sent him. That's why I've been after better pics. I wanted to see if I had a hand in making a semi-offical Sonic :)

Thanks for this new pic